Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people. I'm trying to buy Altezza tail lights for my 2003 eclipse. Unfortunately, everywhere I look, they say 00-02 tail lights. The pictures of the 00-02 lights look identical to my 03.

Does anyone know if there's a difference? If so, any idea on what it is?

thanks!

-krase

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Wow. 18 times in two weeks.

there are minor differences but they can be easily modded to fit.

/thread

·
Registered
85 Posts
i've seen some that say 00-02, and 03-05 and 00-05. I think you are safe buying them from 00-05. The cosmetic changes from those years were mostly in the front grill but the actual dealership part number for the 02's and 03's taillights are the same so i think you are safe. Always ask for a return policy though just in case.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
Hey people. I'm trying to buy Altezza tail lights for my 2003 eclipse. Unfortunately, everywhere I look, they say 00-02 tail lights. The pictures of the 00-02 lights look identical to my 03.

thanks!

-krase
You've been on this board for 5 years - and you ask this?

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
i've seen some that say 00-02, and 03-05 and 00-05. I think you are safe buying them from 00-05. The cosmetic changes from those years were mostly in the front grill but the actual dealership part number for the 02's and 03's taillights are the same so i think you are safe. Always ask for a return policy though just in case.
You're an idiot. There ARE differences in the mounting. Just because you say other idiots on eBay saying 00-05 doesn't mean they know WTF they're talking about. The 3rd Generation Eclipse produced from 2000-2005 have the same looking taillights with different mounting, divided between 00-02 and 03-05, as there were minor changes in the vehicle cosmetically and other trims available in 2003+.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Actually, there are HUGE differences that do now allow "simple modifications". I know this because Amazon just fucked me on this. The 00-02 tails have different bulb housings in the back that won't fit the bulbs for 03-05 Eclipses. I tried to remake them, and it didn't work. It's my fault, but now I have a destroyed pair of $80 tails that don't work now.

Also, there is an extra bolt on the 00-02 tails, which hits the lens housing in the back, so you'd have to break the bolt off before the tails will fit in place. They will eventually fit, but it's a pain in the ass. If you get a pair that don't fit, do NOT try to mod them to work. Just send them back, and then next time you order something or buy something, try to find ones that show pictures of the housings in the back to see if they match up.

·
Cone Killer
1,297 Posts

thanks!

-krase
The wiring is different. Where the bulbs twist/lock into place into the OEM tails, the 00-02 models are slightly different. Just enough to cause them not to lock in. Simple fix is go to a junk yard and pick up a new set of wires for a few bucks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts