Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have an 03 GT, in january i had a muffler welded on, just the muffler not the whole exhaust. It's a bit louder than stock but i want it to have an even louder deeper sound. I looked underneath the car and noticed that there are three things on the exhaust, i think the first is the catalytic converter and the other two are resonators. I was thinking of getting just the resonators taken off but i dont know if it is worth it. Will this give me the louder sound, and will this make my car throw codes. Has anybody done this to their gt? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
146 Posts
You will make it louder, you shouldn't throw any codes. Do I think you should do it? No. Removing the resonators will make the exhaust raspier and higher pitched. If you want a deeper sound cut out a resonator and weld in a round straight through muffler in its place-yes this will make it quieter also(its a trade off). Or, probably your best option, just get an aftermarket exhaust if you budget allows.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input nj-spyder, but my budget does not allow me to get a full exhaust i have to save my money for college. I talked to the shop that welded my muffler back in january and they said they would do it for about $100 for both resonators together which i can afford, so it would be cheaper for me than to spend a couple hundred on an exhaust system. Has anyone else actually done this to their car?

·
02 3.5l GT-T RIP
667 Posts
I say save up. Look through the for sale section and you might get lucky and pick up a good catback exhaust cheap.

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
I would save up for a decent exhaust. Why do you want your car to be louder anyways??? Taking off the resonators will give you a loud raspy sound similar to a honduh without an exhaust. I would also check your local laws, I know certain towns in Ohio have a certain decible that the exhaust sound has to be below. I used to have friends in High School get pulled over all the time for "louder than allowed" exhaust systems.

·
Anastacia HOE!!!!
4,507 Posts
I had my resonators removed when i had the shop build my catback. Before that i just had the magnaflow muffler. It did make it louder and more gurguly but it didnt sound bad. They are still off to this day and i love the sound. But i have a Downpipe now and i kinda want a resonator back on it just to tone it down. So its up to you really. If you dont plan on headers or something like that then removing the resonators will give you the sound you are looking for.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks 04MOJOGT glad to hear it sounded good. The truth is and it might sound stupid, but the truth is that back in january when i first wanted to put the muffler on i unbolted the stock muffler and drove around for about two days with no muffler, and it was the best sound. It sounded similar to a Supra without the turbo, but then when i had the new muffler put on it went back to a sound only slightly louder than stock, the supra sound is what i am aiming for. I don't have plans for headers or going forced induction so the sound is really all im after, and i don't need to worry about the cops in the Detroit area they dont really care about loud exhausts. Also will removing the resonators cause me to lose back pressure or torque?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Muffler delete and drop the larger resonator, that's what I did on the stratus and hardly raspy at all, more throaty sound IMO..

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey yea i removed the resonaters as well on my '00 gt...i think it sounds b-e-a-u-tiful! i have also managed to get it to be a side exhaust but yet have it remain unseen unless you get real low

·
Registered
85 Posts
I hate to tell you this but if you want to make an impression with your exhast sound, upgrade it to bigger pipe diameters. 2.5" is what you should look at unless you are going bigger with a turbo or nitrous. Just save a little here and there and by the time spring comes, you can drop it into a nice greddy one. I got mine for 490 shipped...look on the internet with the part number until you get a decent price. Of course, i just used my CC to get it faster. :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i called the muffler shop today and left them a message, no one worked today of course, but im pretty firm on taking the resonators off, and looking to do it really soon. hopefully by the end of the week, and thanks for all the help guys :)

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
if you have 2 resonators, I'd start with removing just one. My 2000 didn't have but one and after removing it I couldn't hear myself talk inside, due to the vibrations it picked up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What I did on my car, I went to the muffler shop and had 2 1/2 inch piping welded all the way from the stock DP, to my aftermarket exhaust. Sounded great with stock DP.
I know when you get headers though, thats when the RASP comes into play

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
EclipseGS2004 you don't have a catalitic converter on anymore? just straight 2.5? But you have a GS like my older brother's '01 and they are much louder with just a muffler than a GT. Right now both our eclipses have just the muffler and his is much louder than my GT, and i dont think its too loud inside his car or maybe i just got used to it.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
I did an intersting setup that has a pretty deep tone to it. I'm not to fond of it at WOT around the 3-4k range, but, I'm still tweaking with it.

HyTech headers (welded)
HFC
Greddy Evo 2 CatBack with Resonator removed
Flowmaster Hushpower 2 in place of resonator

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I know mine will sound different since I have the 4G64, but here's my setup:

CMF header (replaced resonator with larger one)
HFC
Invidia cat-back

What gave me a nice deep sound that is loud, but not too loud, was getting a hi-flow cat installed. Initially, I just had the Invidia cat-back and wanted more flow and a little more rumble. I put the header on (which deleted both cats and just had a tiny resonator)...it was so loud and annoying that I had to install the silencer in my muffler. I added a hi-flow cat into the mid-pipe and it sounded great without the silencer...I really only installed a larger resonator in place of the CMF one since something had come loose inside and was rattling.

My recommendation though would be to go with a hi-flow cat instead of deleting the resonators...

·
342 Posts
Hey EclipseGS2004,

Why are you using my picture for your avatar? That's my car outside of my house. What's up with that?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Hey EclipseGS2004,

Why are you using my picture for your avatar? That's my car outside of my house. What's up with that?
:rofl:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts