Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
I'm gonna tell you like this (hopefully I'm wrong) you can't remove it without breaking it. I've had to change windshields twice. First change, first attempt "pros" came and they had this "special" tool that looked like a long thin blade that was supposed to go under the pillar to seperate it from the backing which is sealed with glue. My man got about half way and the pillar began to crack. Of course I said WHOA and he said the same and he stopped. According to him he never had that happen before and he's done eclipses before, blah, blah, blah. He didn't want to do the other side (and I didn't want him to either) because he didn't have any pillars with him to replace them. He came out his pocket and paid me to buy a new one with no argument. First change, second attempt the "pros" came and this time I told them that they need to bring the moldings which they claim they were gonna do. My man gets to working (a big dude from Russia or Poland) and with the same tool starts hacking at the pillar. Of course it starts cracking and he's steady working and I'm cool because I'm thinking he's got the replacements. He replaces the windshield without the pillars and claims he's done. I say what about the moldings? He doesn't have the moldings, calls his company I speak to them and tell them I'm not paying until I get the moldings. The frame was now exposed and I'm not drivng like that plus it was supposed to rain that day or tomorrow. The "problem" was what I was calling moldings were called pillars and they called a dealer who got a set for a good price. My argument was if you are pros and you know my vehicle then you should know that you need those pillars to cover the frame and windshield no matter what I call it. Anyways we agreed that they would get paid when he came back with the pillars. After a couple of days I bought my own and installed them. He never came back and so they never got paid. Free windshield and this was almost 3 years ago. Second change no problems. the "pros" came out and got the pillars off without breaking them but I think that was because these were the new pillars from the previous install and they weren't sealed extra extra tight yet.

·
Fossilized Member
1,206 Posts
The spyder is different than the coup. I've had mine off for repainting. You must first remove the trim molding on the inside. It just snaps off. That will reveal the two nuts from the inside. Remove those two nuts carful not to lose them down the inside of the 'A' pillar. Then there is one plastic rivet at the bottom in the door jam. You can only see it if the door is open. Carefully pry it out. If the windshield is the original, the factory also uses some of the windshield sealant to hold them down. With the two nuts removed and the plastic rivet out, carfully pry up on the moulding to release it from the rubber sealant. Thats all there is to it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just got my windscreen replaced ... frigin dudes broke my pillar ... said it was my fault cuz it was glued ... BS .. I'm calling them back

·
drunk asshole
109 Posts
A little thread revival...

Anyway, I just tried taking my passenger side pillar/moulding off yesterday to paint the part as the black is fading really bad. As a side note, I have the original windshield so these are the original pillars/mouldings.

So I took out the two nuts and the platic rivet, then carefully pried up and... BREAK. So, fail for me. They are glued down tight. No way to take them off without breaking them.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hate to bring in old thread back to life but this one never got solved. Im trying to repaint my outside pilars and they almost cracked when trying to take them off. Is there a solution to this other then breaking them? Im really trying not to do that.

And in the event that breaking them really is the only way to take them off, where do you get the replacements from?

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
Hate to bring in old thread back to life but this one never got solved. Im trying to repaint my outside pilars and they almost cracked when trying to take them off. Is there a solution to this other then breaking them? Im really trying not to do that.

And in the event that breaking them really is the only way to take them off, where do you get the replacements from?

Replacements could be found at a junkyard or the dealership of course.

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
And how would i be able to take it off the car at the junkhard without breaking those as well considering they would be exatly the same as the ones on my car right now?
YOU most likely can't do it because you don't have the proper tools however the people at the junkyard should be able to. I bought one from a junkyard that was pulled by the staff and it's been taking up space in my basement on standby waiting to go on.

Or buy from the dealership.

·
Registered
56 Posts
YOU most likely can't do it because you don't have the proper tools however the people at the junkyard should be able to. I bought one from a junkyard that was pulled by the staff and it's been taking up space in my basement on standby waiting to go on.

Or buy from the dealership.
So what tool is required?

Ive tried using fishing line to "cut" the glue by rubbing it back and forth but it doesn't work too well. Ive also tried using a very thin blade but it wasn't long enough.

Is there a special tool i could buy or maybe some kind of chemical i could put on on the bottom side of the pillar that wont harm the car and will eat away the glue?

At this point, buying from a dealership isn't the best of options so i'm looking at any alternatives mentioned by knowledgeable 3g veterans.

;)

·
R.I.P. silverside
10,932 Posts
So what tool is required?

Ive tried using fishing line to "cut" the glue by rubbing it back and forth but it doesn't work too well. Ive also tried using a very thin blade but it wasn't long enough.

Is there a special tool i could buy or maybe some kind of chemical i could put on on the bottom side of the pillar that wont harm the car and will eat away the glue?

At this point, buying from a dealership isn't the best of options so i'm looking at any alternatives mentioned by knowledgeable 3g veterans.

;)
I'm not aware of a "special tool" for this job. I'm going to assume that some kind of heat gun would help to soften up the adhesive of course after removing the nuts from behind which are also holding it in place.

In the event your frustration outweighs your desire to be thrifty and you can't find a good one at a junkyard you can buy a new one here: Mitsubishi Parts | OEM Mitsubishi Parts | Genuine Mitsubishi Parts

·
chris brown
1 Posts
Really? the pros know it all?

I'm gonna tell you like this (hopefully I'm wrong) you can't remove it without breaking it. I've had to change windshields twice. First change, first attempt "pros" came and they had this "special" tool that looked like a long thin blade that was supposed to go under the pillar to seperate it from the backing which is sealed with glue. My man got about half way and the pillar began to crack. Of course I said WHOA and he said the same and he stopped. According to him he never had that happen before and he's done eclipses before, blah, blah, blah. He didn't want to do the other side (and I didn't want him to either) because he didn't have any pillars with him to replace them. He came out his pocket and paid me to buy a new one with no argument. First change, second attempt the "pros" came and this time I told them that they need to bring the moldings which they claim they were gonna do. My man gets to working (a big dude from Russia or Poland) and with the same tool starts hacking at the pillar. Of course it starts cracking and he's steady working and I'm cool because I'm thinking he's got the replacements. He replaces the windshield without the pillars and claims he's done. I say what about the moldings? He doesn't have the moldings, calls his company I speak to them and tell them I'm not paying until I get the moldings. The frame was now exposed and I'm not drivng like that plus it was supposed to rain that day or tomorrow. The "problem" was what I was calling moldings were called pillars and they called a dealer who got a set for a good price. My argument was if you are pros and you know my vehicle then you should know that you need those pillars to cover the frame and windshield no matter what I call it. Anyways we agreed that they would get paid when he came back with the pillars. After a couple of days I bought my own and installed them. He never came back and so they never got paid. Free windshield and this was almost 3 years ago. Second change no problems. the "pros" came out and got the pillars off without breaking them but I think that was because these were the new pillars from the previous install and they weren't sealed extra extra tight yet.
if the pros knew it all they would be making twice as much doing something other then putting in auto glass. I have been installing for 40 years and i am an idiot because if i was smart i sure as hell would be doing something else.

YOU GUYS ON THIS THREAD HAVE NO RIGHT ASSUMING AUTO GLASS GUYS KNOW IT ALL....HELP THEM OUT!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had my original 2001 Spyder windshield replaced yesterday. The installer got the passenger side trim off ok, but broke the driver's trim.

I warned him in writing ahead of time that these parts frequently break during removal, and that they're expensive. He wasn't happy, but he purchased and installed a new one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts