Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

tearstone bov question

2K views 42 replies 11 participants last post by  Clipse3GT 
#1 ·
hey, sorry if this question was answear befor but i honestly spend days now serching and reading (not a bad thing i actuly learned alot of good stuff) but anyways...

to keep things short, i was wondering if it would be pissoble to vent out the bov so you can hear it, w/ out running into idel or cold start problems? (as stated in a dif thread).. i remamber a long time ago i read somewhere that there is a bov that does 50/50.. im not sure if hks made it or somthing but 1/2 of it goes to the intake and 1/2 of is vented out to get that "pshh" sound while switching gears. (this might just be me making some crazy bov up cuz when ever i do read it's usualy 2-3a.m)

the loss of power would not be a big deal, as when ever i would be gong to race i would hook it back up to the intake.. this is basicly just for cruzin around...

so if it is possible can you please explain how and witch bov, and if not well a simple answear will do..

thx alot guys

#2 ·
one more thing.. i know i already e-mailed mike with this same question, but im assuming he's busy and didint have time to get back to me yet, and well i really need to know a.s.a.p.. cuz im holding the money right now to order a kit.. and even tho it might sound kidna stupid that a bov would make a dif, but im really more of a show kinda guy reather than speed.. so im not lookin for most hp, reather than nice sounding car and looks..

i know the ripp supercharger has a bov that sounds bad ass too (so people have said) and honestly i have nothing agiants ripp and think they have a bad ass kit.. its just that im more of a turbo kinda guy..

#4 ·
plracing said:
one more thing.. i know i already e-mailed mike with this same question, but im assuming he's busy and didint have time to get back to me yet, and well i really need to know a.s.a.p.. cuz im holding the money right now to order a kit.. and even tho it might sound kidna stupid that a bov would make a dif, but im really more of a show kinda guy reather than speed.. so im not lookin for most hp, reather than nice sounding car and looks..

i know the ripp supercharger has a bov that sounds bad ass too (so people have said) and honestly i have nothing agiants ripp and think they have a bad ass kit.. its just that im more of a turbo kinda guy..
Ripp uses a vent to atmosphere style BOV with no recirculation, get a whooosh sound. Its possible to just get a new bov or ask Russ if its psosible for him to include a different BOV and have a non recirculating design with that recic hole having a plate on it to have it closed or never making on in the first place.

#6 ·
plracing said:
so u wouldint run into any problems tho right?.. yeah i was talkign about the vent to atmosphere part
Some reason to recirc are the fact that built boost isn't wasted between shifts makes for a asmoother acceleration and up shifts, also eliminates that pop or fire from exhaust when running too rich. Im sure you'd be fine using a vent to atmosphere valve of your choice.

#10 ·
plracing said:
wait, what if you got like a greddy type-s bov style.. just didint recirc it for daily driving, than later if your going to race do it.. cuz i have a buddy w/ a gst who does that, he just plugs up the hole in his intake
That's what I said earlier. Most valves can vent to atmosphere, but some are designed that they can also be used to reirc. You would just have to make a custom plug for the recirc hole.

#12 ·
Tearstone said:
The kits are designed to be recirculated, if you remove the recirculation hose you may run into issues where the car does not run properly and tend to stall out. If you can handle that trade off, then I guess it's not really a "problem" at that point.
when does it stall out changing gears? At idle the car wouldnt stall... Maybe its just a tune thing?

#13 ·
Clipse3GT said:
when does it stall out changing gears? At idle the car wouldnt stall... Maybe its just a tune thing?
In order to understand what I mean, keep in mind why you recirculate a blow off valve. You reirc your blow off valve to retain air that your MAS has already metered. If you blow off the air that the MAS has metered, the ECU is expecting the air so it's going to compensate with the right amount of fuel thus you will run into a rich condition in turn bogs down the engine. There is no "tune thing" issue there.

#14 ·
Tearstone said:
In order to understand what I mean, keep in mind why you recirculate a blow off valve. You reirc your blow off valve to retain air that your MAS has already metered. If you blow off the air that the MAS has metered, the ECU is expecting the air so it's going to compensate with the right amount of fuel thus you will run into a rich condition in turn bogs down the engine. There is no "tune thing" issue there.
Ah yes the MAS issues and ECU... sigh :lol: what if you just place the MAS sensor right before the air filter?

#15 ·
Clipse3GT said:
Ah yes the MAS issues and ECU... sigh :lol: what if you just place the MAS sensor right before the air filter?
No issues, that's how it's designed. If I take out the recirc on my stock turbo MR2, it will do the exact same thing. Put the MAS before the air filter and you will have a very dirty MAS sensor.

#17 ·
Tearstone said:
No issues, that's how it's designed. If I take out the recirc on my stock turbo MR2, it will do the exact same thing. Put the MAS before the air filter and you will have a very dirty MAS sensor.
Oh, :lol: I mistyped that, put the MAS sensor right after the air filter. From the pics of the kit from your site, it looks thats how it designed. But I sitll cant see how recirc affects it unless somehow you recirc the air back to air filter and then back to thru the MAS...

#19 ·
Clipse3GT said:
Oh, :lol: I mistyped that, put the MAS sensor right after the air filter. From the pics of the kit from your site, it looks thats how it designed. But I sitll cant see how recirc affects it unless somehow you recirc the air back to air filter and then back to thru the MAS...
The MAS comes right after the air filter. The recirc entry point comes inbetween the MAS and the compressor housing. The blow off valve comes somewhere between the compressor housing and the throttle body. Blow off valves only purpose in life is to allow excess pressure to escape and prevent premature bearing damage from the compressor surges. When recirculated, the air gets vented in back before the compressor (after the MAS) to keep it in the system.

Now, if we metered the air right before the throttle body like you all do, then there wouldn't be any worries rather you recirculated or not. But the Mitsubishi MAS was not designed to be blown through, so if your going to use the stock MAS this is the setup you have to go with in order to have a car run like it came from the factory this way.

#20 ·
Tearstone said:
The MAS comes right after the air filter. The recirc entry point comes inbetween the MAS and the compressor housing. The blow off valve comes somewhere between the compressor housing and the throttle body. Blow off valves only purpose in life is to allow excess pressure to escape and prevent premature bearing damage from the compressor surges. When recirculated, the air gets vented in back before the compressor (after the MAS) to keep it in the system.

Now, if we metered the air right before the throttle body like you all do, then there wouldn't be any worries rather you recirculated or not. But the Mitsubishi MAS was not designed to be blown through, so if your going to use the stock MAS this is the setup you have to go with in order to have a car run like it came from the factory this way.
Makes more sense now, I wasn't sure how your kit was exactly designed as well as point for bov etc... and the pics on your website dont help too much in seeing where hte bov and recirc points are.

#23 ·
dang it, yeah, that's what i bin reading around these threads.. i just wanted to make sure.. i wouldint want to do anything to put my car in any risk, seeing as it's a daily driver and wouldint be all that worth it just for a bov sound..

but hey to all that replied thx alot for all your help, in the end i guess im just gonna go with the stage 1 ripp supercharger.. i mean mind sound kinda stupid that cuz of a bov im chosing a type of force induction.. but hey we all got our taste

#24 ·
I don't know, if the "sound" is what you are looking for, then you might as well just get those damn "BOV" sound chip things. I put a turbo kit on my car to make it faster, and the sound it makes was an added benefit.

If it makes you feel any better, the BOV sounds like a rattlesnake, or a whoopie cushion depending on who you ask :lmfao: My wife thought it was a fan in the engine.

#25 ·
now im assuming your talking about the bov on your turbo kit, not the supercharger...

yeah i mean i am lookin for the power too, shit for $5000+ you would expect alittle more than just a bov sound.. but the bov is a big + in my book..

honestly i dont really even know my self yet.. i have the money but kinda like everyone els who has the money, im stock w/ a choice.. i read these treads for so long now, and even tho i did hear alot of bad things about ripp back in the days.. now 2006+ i dont hear anyone saying anything bad, just good stuff... and the kit tearstone sells, sure i heard alot of good stuff too.. and im not trying to ask what's better sds or turbo.. cuz honestly neather is better than the other (imo)..

hmm about this chip tho.. would it be rice if i had the turbo kit and the chip?.. do they even sound good?.. not that im planning on doing that , just wondering

#26 ·
a chip?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.