Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be participating in a focus panel on Friday at PRI. I wanted to post up the information they sent me to get some feedback from you all as consumers on what topics we'll be discussing.

SEMA said:
Thank you for participating in the SEMA Focus Panel at the PRI Trade Show. We look forward hearing your views regarding the current state of the industry. Your experience and expertise can keep the specialty equipment industry moving in the right direction.

Topics: We hope to cover a broad range of topics. Some of these will include;

1.) Current consumer profile; who they are and what they're buying.

2.) Industry trends; what's hot and what's not.

3.) Business concepts: SKU's, Distribution, etc. Improving products, service and inventory

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
1. I think there is a wide range of buyers. You have kids 16-20 who are just starting out that like the visual side of modding cars. You have people 21-30 or so that love to make cars balls out fast and have some subitle apperance mods. 30-beyond usually settle down and buy parts that suit what they want to do with a car. When thinking about consumers I look at my local autocross clubs and notice trends with the age groups there.

2. Hot-Wheels, catchy colors/shine, wide bodies, mods that are both show and race at the same time. Not Hot-Wings, stickers, seat covers, interfoolers, 30 different styles of replacement lenses.

3. As far as improving products, I know some companies that love to recieve parts back that fail so they can do a "failure analysis" on them and make parts better. I like that aspect of businesses.

Hope this helps some Russ from the view of a 23 yr old.

·
LOVES OHIO STATE
2,457 Posts
1. I think there is a wide range of buyers. You have kids 16-20 who are just starting out that like the visual side of modding cars. You have people 21-30 or so that love to make cars balls out fast and have some subitle apperance mods. 30-beyond usually settle down and buy parts that suit what they want to do with a car. When thinking about consumers I look at my local autocross clubs and notice trends with the age groups there.

2. Hot-Wheels, catchy colors/shine, wide bodies, mods that are both show and race at the same time. Not Hot-Wings, stickers, seat covers, interfoolers, 30 different styles of replacement lenses.

3. As far as improving products, I know some companies that love to recieve parts back that fail so they can do a "failure analysis" on them and make parts better. I like that aspect of businesses.

Hope this helps some Russ from the view of a 23 yr old.
That pretty much sums all of it up. One thing I would like to say is that I think some of the specialty businesses need to focus on staying just that, specialty.

For example, Company ABC has product that is new on the market and instantly takes off. Upon being dominated by this hot product, companies DEF and XYZ are automatically sent into R&D mode for a way to make the same product without infringement. I understand that alot of business is "find something that works and stick with it" but I think in the chase of the almighty dollar, being different could have more advantages in the long run.

Back to the example, if companies DEF and XYZ are able to make some money off of their version of the ABC product, hopefully they use it to create the products of their own that were originally intended. Uniformity while also keeping the individualism, I guess lol.

Sorry its a long post, hopefully you can take something from it thats useful! :)

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
That pretty much sums all of it up. One thing I would like to say is that I think some of the specialty businesses need to focus on staying just that, specialty.

For example, Company ABC has product that is new on the market and instantly takes off. Upon being dominated by this hot product, companies DEF and XYZ are automatically sent into R&D mode for a way to make the same product without infringement. I understand that alot of business is "find something that works and stick with it" but I think in the chase of the almighty dollar, being different could have more advantages in the long run.

Back to the example, if companies DEF and XYZ are able to make some money off of their version of the ABC product, hopefully they use it to create the products of their own that were originally intended. Uniformity while also keeping the individualism, I guess lol.

Sorry its a long post, hopefully you can take something from it thats useful! :)
True, but thats a fact of business regardless what industry you're in. The negative side to aftermarket parts for vehicles is the fact that buy making a similiar constructed design, company DEF is trying to do it cheaper than company ABC so they can sell it at a lower cost. Eventually, the same part goes back and forth in design until its made so cheaply and costs so little, that its virtually worthless and just another piece of trash.

But, until the majority of the consumers on the market will actually understand the fact you get what you pay for, nothing will ever change that concept. This is why brand name bodykits cost so much that are well built and designed, and replica kits are so cheap but fit like total trash. Same goes for just about anything you can buy. Fortunately, the majority of this shit is bundled on eBay, Autozone, PepBoys, and MIMO USA.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
The consumer profile as mentioned above by CLIPSE_GT for the most part is very accurate if we're talking about majority. The Show Series is mostly about business and promotion, Race Series is obviously about speed and reliability, and "Street" pretty much boils down to what gets the attention. The consumer base is very diverse so the definition of "attention getting" is interpretted in several ways and would involve a much deeper study IMO.

·
I r bad spellr, stfu
4,028 Posts
Even though the fully riced out look seems to win comps all the time (I think it is a $$$ invested thing) on the street I am seeing a lot more subdued body mods and colors, single color, and still a nice set of rims.

I work in the hood so I see a lot of chrome add-ons and HUGE rims, but spinners are out.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Congrats. Russ, quite an honor!
Being in the other end of the age spectrum, I feel that the above comments are worthy of most members feelings.
On the flip side anybody who would like to modify & can't find parts for their application either go's without or has to make his/her own parts....
Its the usual supply & demand, IE: most popular at that moment.
Ok, thats enough ranting........hope it wasn't too confusing? LOL

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
Off the top of my head: VIP, D1, matte finishes, dry carbon fiber, stretched tires, painted wheels and/or lips (color-matched or contrasting), LED light accessories.

I think the VIP trend is going to get much bigger, especially as what I consider to be the 2nd wave of Jap-import enthusiasts (now in their late 20s-late 30s) are having kids and families. I'm sure that will translate to SUVs more than it already has. Sideskirt theater-lighting included :) On the opposite end of the spectrum, I think the micro- and micro-style compacts (like the Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, Scions, etc) are going to get a lot more attention.

I think the general import style is going to move more towards a purpose-built look (whether they play the part or not isn't what I'm referring to), all thanks to D1. Titanium and dry carbon are going to be more and more popular. Bank on superlow-offset wheels with minimum-sidewall stretched tires. Matte finishes are hot right now, but I think that's going to go out as quick as it came in as soon as the kids start using rattle-can paint on their Hondas and think it's trick. Still, color-matched wheels are big, as are painted lips. I don't know how long the whole giant lip craze is going to last, but wheels are going to keep getting bigger in size.

Blame Audi for the LED thing, but fact of the matter is that it is just too simple to copy a row of LEDs in the headlight cluster as a cheap-o look-at-me mod--these are the next Altezzas.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of people in my area buying cheap look-a-like stuff. I think ebay has hurt the aftermarket overall a lot. I get questions from customers (at a major aftermarket retail store) like, "Why should I spend 3k+ on coilovers? I can get them for $40 on ebay." Too many people just want the cheapest they can get. You and I may know the difference, but many young kids don't, and when they spend $40 and get a lousy ride, they think the $3k setup will be just as bad. Thankfully though, I do see a trend on the streets away from loud and obnoxious, and that can't be a bad thing. Now, if we can keep Vin from making more movies, we'll be alright.

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
"Vin and his movies" have done more for the import tuning world than you are giving credit for. Yes it gave rise to all the knock-off fleaBay crap and garbage parts, but with that added attention came lower prices and WAY more availability of parts we would otherwise rarely, if ever, see.

Regardless, well over half of the members here rock Vin-inspired bullshit even though 99% of them use "TFATF" as an insult.

·
Registered
4 Posts
tell 'em to make more stuff for the Diamantes, or at least be more clear about the interchangeability. Thanks tearstone for the work you have done bringing in D parts, but we need more, and there will be more of a market if it is more clear what can be done. The aussies figured it out, we're a little bit behind. Tearstone can be to us what RPW is to them, it sort of already is though. I think you get the idea though.

·
Zed oh six
6,234 Posts
Great feedback guys!

Mark, what's "VIP" and "D1"? Pardon my ignorance :)
VIP is the type of styling where you take a luxury car, like a Lexus or BMW, and try to make it more fashionable or luxurious by throwing some huge wheels on it and slamming it to the ground. Some cars are also modified for speed as well. The Deepvision van we saw at every HIN can be classified as VIP, as well as that GS300 with the 2JZ in it that everyone was drooling over.

D1, or D1GP, is the drifting car series that started in Japan.

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
I am not real big on the "donk" look (that is what they call the big rims thing in the hood) but that Lexi is HOT!!! :twothumb:
No. That is in no way a Donk, and your saying "that is what they call the big rims thing in the hood" makes you sound like Joan Rivers saying "bling bling".

A donk has come to be used as a blanket word for any car that has been jacked up to fit gigantic wheels, but the overall term is really "Hi-Risers"; to truly have a "donk", the hi-riser treatment has to be done on a 70s-era Impala ("donk" is short for "donkey", which is what the Impala logo resembles). A "box" is any square-body car with the hi-riser treatment, like an 80s Monte Carlo, Deville, etc. A "bubble" is any round-body car with the hi-riser treatment, like a 90s Caprice or late-model Town Car.

There's your hood lesson for the day, holmes.

Don't forget about the wicked camber of the VIP look. Can't imagine you fast people fuck up their tires with that shit.
"wicked camber" doesn't necessarily define VIP style, although riding as low as possible is pretty prevalent. Actually, the only cars that are really considered "VIP" are the Lexus LS and GS (Celsior and Aristo) and Infiniti's Q- and M- series (Nissan President and Cedglo/Fuga). Anything else is just VIP style.

THIS is more VIP:

Junction Produce was there from the beginning of the VIP movement; take a look at their cars too if you want a better idea.
JUNCTION PRODUCE NORTH AMERICA

The crazy stuff is less VIP than it is bosozuku/yankii. :)

Just like this.

No. That's just trash.

I'm not a fan of the wilder VIP styles, but the question was "What's the next trend", and like it or not I think VIP will be very popular. By the way, it's not pronounced as abbreviated; you say it as it's spelled, "veep". :lol:

·
db
986 Posts
maybe you could tell these people about your 3g eclipse so we could have another company make some parts for us. i would add something worthwhile if i had something else that would help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts