1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
Manual V6
113333 Miles

Hey guys, so I may just be overreacting but I think my temp guage may be a little weird. I drive a 2001 Eclipse. When I start the car it takes awhile to go to the middle and today when I was driving it to work I noticed that it was moving above the middle of the gauge. It never got into the red (thats pretty high up there) but it still makes me nervous. When should I worry about this? Am I going to get stuck on the freeway overheating or is a little fluctuation normal?

·
Fossilized Member
1,204 Posts
when was the last time you flushed the system out?

My car started doing that after about 3 years with the same coolant. I had kept adding coolant whenever it was low. After flushing the system and adding the right amount of coolant, it hasn't done it since. I flush and refill every 2 years now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when was the last time you flushed the system out?

My car started doing that after about 3 years with the same coolant. I had kept adding coolant whenever it was low. After flushing the system and adding the right amount of coolant, it hasn't done it since. I flush and refill every 2 years now.
I'll give that a check. Mine seems to fluxuate where it'll go up to 60%, maybe 65% and back down to 40% Sometimes it just sits in the middle but usually theres some fluxuation. I just got the car so I'm still not used to it's little tweaks. Hopefully this weekend I can fix that AC water leak.

·
Exacerbated Member
5,414 Posts
It should not go above the normal reading, when it does, it is an indication that something is wrong.

Start by replacing your radiator cap with a new OEM cap, and look for leaks, like green staining at the seams of the top of your radiator. Or corrosion at the radiator hose connections.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I may be low on fluid actually. Okay this may be the DUMBEST question ever but...

I left it overnight and checked the fluid level in the overflow resivoir in the morning. The fluid level was just above "low." Now does that mean that I need to add more fluid so that it's by the "full" line?

The reason I ask is because I don't want to overfill it. I know that the level is supposed to fluxuate when its running and when it isn't so I thought the level would say "hot" and "cold." Anyway, input would be appreciated. Do I need to fill er up?

·
drunk asshole
109 Posts
How long does it take to reach normal operating temp? It shouldn't be but a minute or two.

When my t-stat went bad, my temperature would take several minutes to reach normal and would then start to slowly go above normal, stay there, and then back down again. It also affected my heat output as well.

I don't think you really need to add coolant unless you want to. Adding between the low and full marks on a cold engine is ok and is not overfill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts