Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Well Im starting to get my parts list for spring time upgrades and I came across some springs. They are Tenrai SR Series Performance Racing Springs. I bought from the vendor before, he doesnt sell a lot but Ive noticed all his parts are made in Japan and most of them even come with a lifetime warranty. He also takes the time to take pics of the actual part. I did a search on the springs on google and came up with some people using them and actually liking them and also seen pics of them installed on cars. Also this company Tenrai makes exhaust which seem like really good quality. Heres the product description:

eBay Motors: TENRAI SR Performance Lowering Spring 00-04 Eclipse (item 350017140717 end time Jan-25-08 13:57:16 PST)

We are proud to introduce another fine product direct to consumers at very low price. You are bidding on a brand new set of Tenrai SR Series Performance Racing Springs . Our springs improve the handling performance of your vehicle by lowering its center of gravity. Progressive spring resistance design ensures excellent handling without losing rider quality. Our lowering kits are made with high quality materials with ISO 9002 approved standards.

DESCRIPTION

High Performance Handling
Progressive Spring Resistance Design
Cold Wound for Maximum Strength Excellent Ride Quality
Finish in Titanium Grey Powder Coating
High Quality Springs
1 SET (2 Front & 2 Rear Springs)

Front: 1.6" Drop & Rear: 1.4" Drop

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Never heard of them. Kind of late to the game, aren't they?

Couple things to think about - the drop amount listed, you have no idea if you'll hit that or not. The different engines and different trannies make the drtop amount change by up to a 1/2" or more. A 4 banger manual will not drop as much as a GT V6 with an automatic. Any stereo equipment in the trunk adds up as well. I guess what I'm saying is - you're gambling on the drop amount and hoping you'll like it.

I'd also want to know, if I was buying springs, what the rates are on them? Like stock, stiffer, softer? To me that's huge, I bought the Tein's just because they were the stiffest drop-in springs you could get, stiffer than the Eibachs and others.

I'd go with something that's been out a while so you can check here for pics after installs, and know what you're getting. I normally am one for trying new things and being creative, but on this, no thanks. Just my opinion though.

If it matters, which it won't, our rear springs are progressive because the coil winds tighter on one end, our fronts are not.

And - $22 for springs, are you kidding? I don't want to overpay for parts, but wow that just tells me they are really crap if that price actually makes them money after they (supposedly) design, test, build, inspect, and etc. these things. Not to mention raw material and shipping costs.

·
Registered
844 Posts
i'm all for saving a buck...but the shipping is 2.5x the price of the springs themselves.

that's scary.

tracer hit it on the nose. one set of springs designed for all the eclipse and sebring trims means you're hit and miss at the amount of drop and what kind of ride quality (or lack of) you'll have.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm all for saving a buck...but the shipping is 2.5x the price of the springs themselves.

that's scary.

tracer hit it on the nose. one set of springs designed for all the eclipse and sebring trims means you're hit and miss at the amount of drop and what kind of ride quality (or lack of) you'll have.
I just heard that they were pretty good springs and some people even said they handeld quite well. Im interested in trying them out and if they arent what Im looking for then I wouldn't mind being out a couple bucks for trying something new. Sometimes, when you try an unknown brand/product they actually tend out to be good, I mean everyone company has to start out somewhere. Just like how people beat on the eBay aluminum underdrive pulley saying it falls apart, causes the knock sensor to go off, etc. though Ive had one for a while and it gave me absolutely no probs.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What are the spring rates on each set?
Just sent the seller a message. What are the spring rates on the Pro-Kits? All I know is that both the Tenrai and Eibachs are progessive.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update. I just got a reply and its just like I assumed, they are just like the Pro Kits but Im having him contact his supplier or the manufacturer to get the spring rates.

Dear TSI27,

Thank you for your email. We do apologize but we do not know the spring rates. Our supplier only told us that these springs are the replica of the eibach springs pro kit series. You may want to try a set first and see how they work for you. We sold many many springs and alot of people likes our springs, especially the price for these kind of quality.

Regards,

Sales

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
Eibachs are "designed for all the eclipse trims" also ;)
True, the point however was that we *know* from experience what they actually do for the different cars, since a billion people have installed them, made measurements, taken pictures, etc. We know how far off they are going to end up compared to the manufacturer claim. With the new brand you're in uncharted territory. If they are duplicates of the Eibachs you may be OK then.

All I know is that both the Tenrai and Eibachs are progessive.
Sort of. Rears are, fronts are NOT. See what I wrote earlier.

What are the spring rates on each set?
IIRC the Eibachs were same as stock front and slightly softer in the rear. Definitely made for comfort and lowering but not performance. Well, lowering the CG but nothing more.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
http://www.sallee.org/greg/eclipse/ride_heights_eclipse.htm

TSI do you know how your car weight runs (total weight and %age front / rear) to 3G's? you might make an educated guess on how Eibachs sat on your car, to try to guess even further how these might work out.

Keep in mind that on the 3G's, a lot of times people complain about the rears being lower than the fronts and not looking quite right. The shape of your fender well edge may make a difference as well, in a good way or bad as to appearance.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:scratch:

Keep in mind that on the 3G's, a lot of times people complain about the rears being lower than the fronts and not looking quite right. The shape of your fender well edge may make a difference as well, in a good way or bad as to appearance.
Yea, I guess its just going to be a total hit or miss with these springs, but the fact that he told me they are exact replicas of Eibach Pro Kits without me even mentioning anything about other springs was kind of kool. Im going to wait for him to reply back to me with the spring rates and that will most likely make my decision. If they are atleast within the stock specs then I guess Im going to order a set with KYB GR2s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts