Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody i need your help. For some reason I am getting terrible gas milage and I can not seem to figure out why. The car runs real strong, but i am getting anywhere from 10-12 city mpg and I cant afford it anymore. I bought this car because I thought it was good on gas not worse then my old truck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
damn. i am assuming you have already checked for leaks?
how many miles does your car have on it?
10-12mpg is extremely low for the eclipse.

·
jDm tYt3, y0!
322 Posts
I'm currently having the same problem. What year and model is your 3G? There is a recall for some of them regarding the fuel return line.

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
when was the last time the car has had a tune up. or possibly your keeping your foot in it, i'm getting around 24city and 31 highway out of my v6 5mt

·
Registered
223 Posts
Start with basic stuff. Look for leaks and puddles under your car, think about running a bottle of seafoam through it, catch up on maintenance if you haven't already, check PCV valves and lines.
If your SES light is on, check the codes... you might be running rich.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I already ran a bottle of seafoam through it. I am kinda heavy on the gas but nothing to extreme. The car seems to be running very strong. I have absolutley no leaks under the car. Ive checked through it very well, I was wondering if maybe it was a vaccum line? and it is a 2000 GT 5spd with 100,000 miles on it. I love the car but i just cant figure it out why I am getting such terrible mpg. When you say tune up what do you mean?

·
iLurk
176 Posts
Yes I already ran a bottle of seafoam through it. I am kinda heavy on the gas but nothing to extreme. The car seems to be running very strong. I have absolutley no leaks under the car. Ive checked through it very well, I was wondering if maybe it was a vaccum line? and it is a 2000 GT 5spd with 100,000 miles on it. I love the car but i just cant figure it out why I am getting such terrible mpg. When you say tune up what do you mean?
Please tell me you know what a tune up is lol
Change the
- Spark Plugs
-Spark Plug Wires
- Air Filter
- Oil Filter
- Oil Change
-Distributer Cap / Rotor
- PCV Valve
but that's just me..........
Every year.......
Skrew me and my ocd ways about me not wanting my car to crap out....

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I would also look at:
Tire pressure: With the temps going down, air is denser. My tires dropped to 25 psi just from the temp change.

Oxygen Sensor: This is how your cpu decides how much fuel is needed. If your O2 is giving a bad reading, it will hose your gas mileage.

Did the previous owner modify anything? One of my coworkers discovered his Cavalier had an O2 simulator.

If all that fails, take the car to a garage. Most will do a diagnostic for $50 or so, and that is usually taken off the bill if you have them do the work. It would only have to save you one tank of gas to pay for itself. Don't know your skill level, but changing the spark plugs on the V6 can be unfun for a beginning mechanic, but it can be done. Search the board. There is some good info in the howto sections.
Good Luck :wavey:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea haha funny. What I meant was what exactly did tune up mean to that person, how extensive. Yes the plugs were chnaged recently and all normal maintence has been done.

·
Just Married 05-15
1,755 Posts
Nnovak4209 what is your

current temperature on your area?

Tires and Rims?

What spark plugs?

Are you getting any codes?

What things have you changed (tune up related)?

What other modification have you done to the car?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right now it is about 25-30 degrees here and the needle is right in the middle of the guage, not high nor low. The car has 18 inch eagles, with kuhmo ecsta tires. The spark plugs im not sure on and have not checked them. The cars SES light isnt on. The car recently got a full fluid flush, the only thing I put on the car besides the rims, is a spec stage 2 clutch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts