Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2000 GT, every bolt-on mod there is is already on it. Sick of running 14 seconds (we can all relate) I decided to build my own engine that I can either turbo, or run deep into the RPM's and get some serious power. I went to my junkyard and got hooked up with a rediculously cheap 6g72. Tore it apart in my porch and I'm waiting on a bore job. Heads will be ported, the basic swaps done. Tune and injectors, FP etc. Now here's my issue. I've been to tearstone, I've been to crower, wiseco, everyone I can fucking find. No one carries 3g eclipse 6g72 internals anymore. The bore job will allow me to run some wiseco pistons, but I can't find 3g specific rods, crankshaft, and heads stuff. Are we all getting these custom made now or do 3000GT parts actually work?

Besides the rods the build is going great. Of the big names on the site I can't find anyone who put in a forged crankshaft, so I might scratch that. I want to run stiffer valve springs to hit 7500 rpm's so I might as well do cams. Same effect as the rods. Custom forge anyone? Lastly, I'm finding it hard to believe my stock 5 speed will hold up to 400whp... Cleaning it up a little and borrowing a camera so I'll hopefully be posting pics soon.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,061 Posts
I own a 2000 GT, every bolt-on mod there is is already on it. Sick of running 14 seconds (we can all relate) I decided to build my own engine that I can either turbo, or run deep into the RPM's and get some serious power. I went to my junkyard and got hooked up with a rediculously cheap 6g72. Tore it apart in my porch and I'm waiting on a bore job. Heads will be ported, the basic swaps done. Tune and injectors, FP etc. Now here's my issue. I've been to tearstone, I've been to crower, wiseco, everyone I can fucking find. No one carries 3g eclipse 6g72 internals anymore. The bore job will allow me to run some wiseco pistons, but I can't find 3g specific rods, crankshaft, and heads stuff. Are we all getting these custom made now or do 3000GT parts actually work?

Besides the rods the build is going great. Of the big names on the site I can't find anyone who put in a forged crankshaft, so I might scratch that. I want to run stiffer valve springs to hit 7500 rpm's so I might as well do cams. Same effect as the rods. Custom forge anyone? Lastly, I'm finding it hard to believe my stock 5 speed will hold up to 400whp... Cleaning it up a little and borrowing a camera so I'll hopefully be posting pics soon.
I'm a little surprised that you say you can't find internals for a 6g72. The engine showed up in so many platforms (and yes, you can use most of the parts from a 3000 GT 6g72). As Russ said, the crank is forged already. What are your plans? FIing down the road? If you are going all motor, I think you were a little premature buying another 6g72. Most people who are doing all motor builds are using the 6g74 and a couple are currently stuffing the 6g75 in their 3gs (2g stratus etc).

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I meant the 3g 6g72 specific... I just didn't know if people were buying 3000gt stuff with luck or not. Doesn't seem like anyone's had luck with cams (for any 6g72 platform) so I'll cross that off too. However I do want to run the springs for the RPM's. And yes to the forced induction later. I'm hoping to pick up some welding tools to make my own stuff before too long here. I wanted a 72 for a perfect bolt up swap. My damn clutch just went out too so I'll have to upgrade that and maybe a tranny?

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,061 Posts
The cams of note for the 3000 GT are from the VR-4 DOHC setup. Those heads don't and won't work on our engines because of the engine bay orientation. If you want cams, you need to use grinds from RPW. All this stuff you could find with a "search".

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Figured as much. I know, I've been doing a lot of searching... Thanks for the info tho. (and patience)

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
do what im doing, save yourself some time and money and buy a pre built shortblock from uscp and then do the headwork yourself.
:yesway:

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
I meant the 3g 6g72 specific... I just didn't know if people were buying 3000gt stuff with luck or not. Doesn't seem like anyone's had luck with cams (for any 6g72 platform) so I'll cross that off too. However I do want to run the springs for the RPM's. And yes to the forced induction later. I'm hoping to pick up some welding tools to make my own stuff before too long here. I wanted a 72 for a perfect bolt up swap. My damn clutch just went out too so I'll have to upgrade that and maybe a tranny?
A 6G72 is a 6G72. I use "3000GT" forged H-beam rods, and I'm using a "3000GT VR-4" crankshaft. And head gaskets. All the same shit. Everything from the 2-bolt lower end of the VR-4 is compatible with our block. Even the pistons so long as you use the thicker VR-4 head gasket.

do what im doing, save yourself some time and money and buy a pre built shortblock from uscp and then do the headwork yourself.
Yes, let's hinder somebody's learning and ingenuity by shamelessly (haha, not) plugging a pre-built block. No.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Yes, let's hinder somebody's learning and ingenuity by shamelessly (haha, not) plugging a pre-built block. No.
TJ, you do realize that not everyone like you or I has the propensity or desire to tackle the responsibility of assembling the most critical part of an engine right? The poster you are flaming merely voiced his opinion and you belittle him and in a way me.

Play nice, I'm trying to. Your other posts have been a bit inflammatory too. I'll leave it at that.

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
TJ, you do realize that not everyone like you or I has the propensity or desire to tackle the responsibility of assembling the most critical part of an engine right? The poster you are flaming merely voiced his opinion and you belittle him and in a way me.

Play nice, I'm trying to. Your other posts have been a bit inflammatory too. I'll leave it at that.
I. Don't. Give. a. Fuck.

Have a nice day.

·
tour 2 in Iraq
608 Posts
:lol: wow that didnt take him long to get banned again

To the OP, as previously stated alot of people are venturing off into the 6G74 world. Its just as simple to stuff a G74 in your car as a G72. You can build them up just as easy if not easier. This can be a significant upgrade for you.

·
Turbo/Haltech V6
1,713 Posts
I kept the stock crank. Other than that, I went with VR-4 Crower rods, custom made CP pistons, ARP main studs and head studs. I would recommend you to use OEM VR-4 head gaskets instead of cometics because my cometics used to leak a little bit. For the cylinder heads, talk to Ralf from Racing Engine Valves, Inc. He was able to make me some oversized valves for my heads. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Too late for a 74 now. The thing is 100% disassembled and I'm going to the machine shop next tuesday. And yes I want to build the shortblock myself. Almost. My uncle builds engine for puller trucks and runs a 6 second dragster and hes helping me out. So far the only hitch in the plan is I don't know what ECU mod to go with yet. ECUflash, piggyback, standalone? Just gotta do some more research but that's still way off. I'm planning on getting it bored out to 3.2l and using high comp ratio pistons. It's either that or keep it 3.0 and turbo it.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,061 Posts

·
Crazy?
713 Posts
I wouldn't bore it out for bore to stroke ratio and quench area reasons. I'd stroke it. This is what I'd do: Custom Stroker Kit for 6G72 - COMPLETE!-Mitsubishi 3000GT/Dodge Stealth

The price is a little shocking, but it might be less if you could just get the crank. Like here: runBC.com | BrianCrower.com - BC Brian Crower - Toyota - 6G62

Just a thought.
damn thats expensive. maybe i am cheap. :dunno: Who has a cost effective set of cams? :scratch: custom from Crane, Competion, Crower, etc?

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
RPW is your only choice unless you want custom cams.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can buy a decent GT for that much around here... The RPW cams work? Fuck that stupid 200$ bonus cost for being out of assie.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts