Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ph.D > me
4,963 Posts
From the Eagle RS-A to the Eagle F1 GS-D3, I've never had any good experiences with Goodyear tires; their performance seems too unpredictable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree that the RS-As are horrible tires. The standard F1s aren't much better. I've just seen very positive feedback about the new F1 All-Seasons in regards to quietness and wet and snow traction, etc. I'm assuming that nobody actually has them on their 3G though....

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just tried to purchase these from discount tire direct and was told Goodyear had stopped production on the all season version..... so id be wary before purchasing one of the last sets

·
Ph.D > me
4,963 Posts
I just tried to purchase these from discount tire direct and was told Goodyear had stopped production on the all season version..... so id be wary before purchasing one of the last sets
But it's a brand new tire. Also, why would it be called the Eagle F1 All-Season if it wasn't going to be an all-season tire?

http://http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/goodyear/gy_eaglef1_as_ci2_l.jpg

Perhaps they were talking about 1 of the other 11 Eagle F1 tires that Goodyear makes? :dunno:

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
I run the Yokohama Advan S4 tires in my Scion tC for the last 5k miles, they are awesome all season tires and grip like hell. I think I like them a ton better then my Falken Azenis RT615's that I have on the Eclipse. If you are looking for a great tire, I would look into them. The handling in the wet and dry is insanely good, and very predictable. But, expect to pay a decent shinny penny for them a 225/45/17 cost me about $163 per tire.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I have the yokohhama avid v4s high performance all season tire and I love them!!!!! They were rated really really well in all conditions when I did my research on them!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I'll check those out. I'd rather pay good money for a good tire than an average amount for a crappy tire. tires are the only thing that keep your car connected to the road so in my opinion, you'd have to be crazy to go the cheap route...

·
54,424 Posts
I have the yokohhama avid v4s high performance all season tire and I love them!!!!! They were rated really really well in all conditions when I did my research on them!
i have the H4 which is the smaller sizings of the V4, and yes they are great tires! they last well, grip well, and are very very predictable. you know long before they give up grip.

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
I run the Yokohama Advan S4 tires in my Scion tC for the last 5k miles, they are awesome all season tires and grip like hell. I think I like them a ton better then my Falken Azenis RT615's that I have on the Eclipse. If you are looking for a great tire, I would look into them. The handling in the wet and dry is insanely good, and very predictable. But, expect to pay a decent shinny penny for them a 225/45/17 cost me about $163 per tire.
i have the H4 which is the smaller sizings of the V4, and yes they are great tires! they last well, grip well, and are very very predictable. you know long before they give up grip.
Under everyday driving the Avid x4s tires are great, but I have many personal experiences with the v4s on an autox type course. They can not hold up to extreme turning, and they wear very fast. Also the v4s is not made for more than 1-2 inches of snow. I found myself off the road and skidding thru intersections more times the winter i drove with them on then I can count.

P.S. if someone wants my used v4s, I will sell them at a steal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the insight. Granted, i'm not going to be doing any autox racing or anything but that's good to know. What kind of tires do you recommend? Looking for a set of High or Ultra Performance All Season tires. What is everyone else using and what feedback can you provide?

The new Goodyear's sound good but i know that half the time you're paying for the name and not for the quality as much. Those Yoko's look pretty good from what i've read though for the average driver. Unfortunately, those S4s are available for the 3G stock rims.

Before i got my 3G i had an 03 Grand Am GT which i replaced the OEM RS-As with a set of Bridgestone Protenza G009s. The reviews looked good but they weren't as awesome as i expected and hoped.

·
Premium Member
16,710 Posts
Thanks for the insight. Granted, i'm not going to be doing any autox racing or anything but that's good to know. What kind of tires do you recommend? Looking for a set of High or Ultra Performance All Season tires. What is everyone else using and what feedback can you provide?

The new Goodyear's sound good but i know that half the time you're paying for the name and not for the quality as much. Those Yoko's look pretty good from what i've read though for the average driver. Unfortunately, those S4s are available for the 3G stock rims.

Before i got my 3G i had an 03 Grand Am GT which i replaced the OEM RS-As with a set of Bridgestone Protenza G009s. The reviews looked good but they weren't as awesome as i expected and hoped.

I know a lot of people that praise the Falken Ziex-512 tire for high performance all season. I have never used them personallly, but I know a few folks who use these in Michigan where the winters can really get bad. I hope someone with personal experience can chime in.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
What do you want for at least 2 avid v4s I am looking to get new because I have one tire patched twice from nails and the other one is getting bald. The other two are newer! Shoot me a pm!! Also are they the stock size 17" and how much is left on the tire?

·
54,424 Posts
Under everyday driving the Avid x4s tires are great, but I have many personal experiences with the v4s on an autox type course. They can not hold up to extreme turning, and they wear very fast. Also the v4s is not made for more than 1-2 inches of snow. I found myself off the road and skidding thru intersections more times the winter i drove with them on then I can count.

must just be you, for how i drive my tires are lasting well. i can blast around corners without a problem on these tires when the pressures are set right, thats the key! i've driven on ice and through 4 inches of snow with them as well without a single problem. infact they do better on the virgin deep snow then the packed snow thats been driven on, the tread has to have something to bite. i'd rate them as a very capable all season tire thats never let me down.

i've said it before and i'll say it again, the key to driving on snow/ice is to go slow and plan your moves way ahead of time.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I know a lot of people that praise the Falken Ziex-512 tire for high performance all season. I have never used them personallly, but I know a few folks who use these in Michigan where the winters can really get bad. I hope someone with personal experience can chime in.
fuzion hri > falken 512

altho i cannot speak about the fuzion's performance in ice/snow conditions, it is a far better tire than the falken 512 in wet/dry conditions. i'm using falkens now, and will be switching back to fuzions very soon. imo, the 512s are an adequate tire for commuting, but fails as far as being high performance.

the HRi has much better wet and dry grip. i don't feel nearly as comfortable in wet weather with the falkens as i did with the fuzions. the fuzions are more responsive and have a better road feel. the falkens are too comfortable. i can't get any road feel whatsoever. this might not be an issue for some, but i hate it. imo, the only advantage the 512 have over the HRi is road noise. the 512 is a much quieter tire.

·
54,424 Posts
i got my parents to put HRI's on their newer taurus, the tires ride nice and quiet and have the wet/dry grip when they need it (my stepmom loves to tailgate and drive too fast)

·
Hello :)
4,866 Posts
We recently put Falkens Zieux 912 on our Audi A6 AWD. They are really good on dry/wet surfaces but when it comes to snow I have no feedback because car has all the traction control and no matter how much power you give it it stays in Low RPM's so the wheels dont spin. Once you turn the traction off and punch it you can be all over the place just like in any other car with any other kind of tires. We had them for the past 3K and we had no problems whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts