• MR2

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SR20DET Powered..
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been thinking-

I can't decide whether or not to put a 16g Big Evo III turbo into my 2001 Eclipse RS Automatic. My verdict is either do that and upgrade it to a stage III, or get a new ride all together.

So this is the question: If I turbo'ed the RS 2.4L Auto, would it put out a good amount of HP, or should I upgrade? :flamed:

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
Sweet Jesus Lord. Just reading how you have phrased this question of yours, my questions to you is, how old are you? What cars have you owned, have you ever owned a turbocharged vehicle, or ever swapped a transmission in any car?

·
SR20DET Powered..
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have $12000 by end of the summer.

How old are you? What cars have you owned, have you ever owned a turbocharged vehicle, or ever swapped a transmission in any car?
18, my brother has, and a good friend has changed out his MR2's tranny- He could probably help me out with it.

·
Superbowl Bound 2015
3,034 Posts
If you'll have $12000 why put money into a FWD eclipse unless you really love the car why not go to a better platform or put it into a new evo where you get a turbo charged car with a warranty?

·
Yo Yo Yo Yo-Landi
1,764 Posts
I looked into getting an RSX-S after I sold my RS, and the insurance on those things are high as fuck. It was listed as one of the top 10 costliest cars to insure, it is up there with the Evo and STI. In some cases it cost more to insure than even a 350Z. Even though it only has a 200HP K20, so many ricer kids have gotten tickets in them, raced them, and totaled them that the insurance is outrageous.

As far as your predicament, I would just sell the RS and get something new if you want to go fast. I sold my RS and am just driving a beater while saving up my money. I'm hoping to get my next car by this summer, but w/e you do man, I wouldn't recommend turboing a daily driver, just too risky and it's a money pit.

GL and let us know what you decide to do. ;)

·
Frank
3,940 Posts
What are your transportation needs? Most of the cars you listed would be unreliable and are better suited as second cars.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Save your $12k, get an education in automotive mechanics, then decide what to get. I don't think you are in a position to blow all that money on a performance or project car.
+1

You're 18...

Not an insult, but save the money till after college or vocational school (what have you)...

If it's still around make a project once you get in a situation that is stable (College is not)

Once you get there and you still have that money around take on a project...

~Mike

·
Call it Karma
2,782 Posts
I looked into getting an RSX-S after I sold my RS, and the insurance on those things are high as fuck. It was listed as one of the top 10 costliest cars to insure, it is up there with the Evo and STI. In some cases it cost more to insure than even a 350Z. Even though it only has a 200HP K20, so many ricer kids have gotten tickets in them, raced them, and totaled them that the insurance is outrageous.

As far as your predicament, I would just sell the RS and get something new if you want to go fast. I sold my RS and am just driving a beater while saving up my money. I'm hoping to get my next car by this summer, but w/e you do man, I wouldn't recommend turboing a daily driver, just too risky and it's a money pit.

GL and let us know what you decide to do. ;)
The RSX also had one of the highest death rates among vehicles last year. I wonder if this had anything to do with ending RSX poduction.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The RSX also had one of the highest death rates among vehicles last year. I wonder if this had anything to do with ending RSX poduction.
that doesnt have anything to do with why acura stop producing it. Actually, Honda was the one who decided to pull the RSX out of the line up because it was outselling all of their civics at the time.

·
More guns than sense
38,301 Posts
That is not why Honda decided to axe the RSX :uh: Sales were declining in the face of competition and Honda has wanted to upgrade the image of their Acura line to that of the premiere luxury marques such as BMW and Mercedes Benz. So no more boy-racer sub-$25k sports coupe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts