Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BEFORE POSTING ANY QUESTIONS, READ

So, I'm tired of seeing everyone confuse the different types of headlights and always ask "which on is better?" - so, I made this quick picture to show the difference. After you found a headlight you want, and want to know about HID's, simply read this thread: http://www.club3g.com/forum/show-shine/119069-hid-basics-thread-read-first-before-asking-about-them.html

#1 - These are Depo headlight. Easily the best quality aftermarket light you can buy. Low beam project with high beam reflective housing. They can support HID's and offer best cut-off lines and light output. Technically, no aftermarket headlights are made for HID's, but they can usually support it. The original Depo's that were made had the projector housing chrome. These are usually harder to find now. Most Depo headlight are all black now. Depos do NOT have any type of LEDs or Halos
Colors sold in: Black and Chrome.

#2 - Sonars, which are some of the most widely used headlamps. Like Depos, they have a low beam projector and high beam reflective housing. I personally have them on mine, but plan to upgrade to depos in the future. The original sonars only had one halo around the low beam projector, over time halos have became more popular (for some reason) so they are now seen as offered with two halos. One on low beam, and one on the high beam. Sonars have worded onto their lens that HID should NOT be used in them, but I and most others run them with no issues/little modification. With being the best sold headlamp, many companies make this type of headlight. Some better than others. I personally bought mine for a company named "Zomk Speed"
Colors sold in: Black, White, "Smoked", and Chrome.

# 3 -Dual Halos. The best two options in buying headlights were listed above. This headlight, followed by the other are the worst ones to purchase. Dual halos are known for two major issues. One is the fact they have a large amount of glare. The second is the cut off line used inside the headlight. These are NOT recommended to be purchased nor used with HIDs.
Colors sold in: Black, and Chrome.

# 4 - Anzo. Probably the biggest piece of crap you can buy. NOT recommended to be purchased. The original set of Anzos are shown on the left of #4. They had an LED type halo around the High Beam, which was the projection, while the low beam was made out of a reflective housing. The light output on these things were similar to using a flashlight with a piece of duct tape stuck on the lens. They suck. Over time I suppose sales has dropped and manufacturers have tried and make it look "better" and more like Depos or Sonars. Don't be fooled. They still suck.
Colors sold in: Black, and Chrome.

OPTION # 5 There is one other final option. Retrofitting your own headlights. Retrofitting is when you essentially "make" your own. Most people take the OEM housing headlight, put them in an oven to melt the glue that holds the housing together. With patience and some prying the headlamp can be taken apart and new parts can be swapped it. This is a labor intensive job, and requires some knowledge, but it can easily pay off. Most Job cast easily $300+ to do this, but the outcomes are usually worth it. If you're interested in retrofitting, but do not feel like you have the skill/knowledge to do it feel free to message members who do it for a charge. The following members retrofit headlamps: Jstewart92 (Anyone else PM me to add your name to the list.)

So to finalize everything...
Best Quality Depos then Sonars. (#1, and #2)
Don't buy Dual Halos or Anzo (#3, and #4)

Stay away from chrome, unless you want a bunch of ugly glare: http://www.club3g.com/forum/show-shine/153277-why-chrome-headlights-suck-my-latest-project.html

If any of you have supporting pictures or info, please feel free to post it up, or PM me with info so it can be added to this post. As time goes by I will update info. Thanks.

·
Guru of Rice!!!!!!
9,677 Posts
The Official Tail Light thread

Well since a lot of the new comers do not know what tails to get and upon jaloosk's request on making this thread, I decided to get some of the most common tail lights for the 3g platform.
1. TYC-sold in black, chrome, bronze, carbon fiber and titanium (as far as I know). These are the best looking tails I have seen for the 3g platform and most members recommend these. These are not sold any more and are very hard to find and rare. Most common TYCs that are sold are the chrome ones.

2. Sonars- sold in black and chrome. Not as great as the TYC tails and also not the greatest looking ones. I would not recommend these

3.No name l.e.d tails-sold in black, chrome, and red. These are getting fairly popular. Many members like to niteshade these or make custom TYC tails. Also if you are very talented then you can make the led boards yourself and fit them into it.

These are from Crimson's thread and these tails were built by him

Also these are custom tails made by soundman98. They are custom skyline led tails.

4.Stock tail lights-Not bad looking tail lights but many members prefer to go with aftermarket or niteshade these
These are my stock tails that I niteshaded

I hope this thread helps out. If you have any additions feel free to add some

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
while tyc's are the most popular name brand, there is becoming a large ebay presence of tyc knock-off's.

the major differences are:

tyc's:
smooth, clear lenses
'TYC' printed on bottom of housing.

knockoff's:
mostly-clear lenses with 3 parallel rows of 'x' shaped fluting
no printing along the bottom.

the fluting is easiest to see in this pic:

·
6,548 Posts
I only have a short period of time right now, but I'll reply now then later amend this post with more information. So far all links are provided by myself.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/show-shine/145804-6000k-hids-black-ccfl-sonars.html

Amending this post -

http://www.club3g.com/forum/show-shine/153277-why-chrome-headlights-suck-my-latest-project.html. This link is about any chrome headlight, but this is for Sonars in particular. Chrome sonars = bad.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/show-shine/151115-timsters-headlights.html. Timster's black sonars - only had aesthetic mods, added a Morimoto 35w 4.3k HID kit with a bi-xenon harness allowing high and low beam to be on simultaneously.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/show-shine/152962-jstewart92s-custom-retrofitted-headlights-pic-heavy.html. My personal retrofitted headlights and their output. Projectors are installed in stock lights, and are replica's of the infiniti FX 35/45's lights.

Go to www.facebook.com/iconicdesignz to view all of my work, please like the page and thanks for taking a look!

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts

·
I'm a Moron.
121 Posts
Yeah thought so..from what ive been told they are win something I forgot the rest...they also go by spec D

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I had my 3G I first bough the Anzo's thinking the projector was the low beam. Even the sales guy told me the projector was the low beam and high beam and that the reflector was for an accessory like strobes. What an idiot and I knew very little then so I got them. Hated them. Always wanted depo's but couldn't afford. So I went with the Sonars and was pretty happy with them except for the adjustment, Which I rigged with my own screws to move the projectors left and right. With HID's they were nice.

IMO I wouldn't do option five since the 3G have the depo's available. As for a housing like the 8G galant, the ebay ones are kinda Cheesy IMO, and JDM's are still reflectors. So HID=Glare. So with the 8G I do feel like option 5 would be best.

·
Guru of Rice!!!!!!
9,677 Posts
When I had my 3G I first bough the Anzo's thinking the projector was the low beam. Even the sales guy told me the projector was the low beam and high beam and that the reflector was for an accessory like strobes. What an idiot and I knew very little then so I got them. Hated them. Always wanted depo's but couldn't afford. So I went with the Sonars and was pretty happy with them except for the adjustment, Which I rigged with my own screws to move the projectors left and right. With HID's they were nice.
IMO I wouldn't do option five since the 3G have the depo's available. As for a housing like the 8G galant, the ebay ones are kinda Cheesy IMO, and JDM's are still reflectors. So HID=Glare. So with the 8G I do feel like option 5 would be best.
Honestly option 5 would be an improvement over the depos imo even the depos have some flaws that the retrofits overcome but again what lights doesnt have flaws. If you do it right the retrofits can look very good and be the best ones available.

00-05 Eclipse BLK Dual Halo Projector Headlights Lamps | eBay

these are the same from #4 and they are in the description they are made by eagle eyes
Does it matter what company makes them, the order is listed from GOOD to BAD.

this thread helped me alot. i know what to get now.
This is why this thread was made to help you newbies and to stop from some of the n00bs from making worthless threads

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
Honestly option 5 would be an improvement over the depos imo even the depos have some flaws that the retrofits overcome but again what lights doesnt have flaws. If you do it right the retrofits can look very good and be the best ones available.
option 5 is not perfect either. i am not very happy with the light distribution of mine(using morimoto d2s projectors--too much light in front of the car, little at distance).. but there are options that will be much better then any prebuilt option.

got rice boy said:
That is because the top post is wrong. They aren't actually Sonar's. I have no idea why they are labeled as Sonar's in the first post.
because the headlamp market used to be less whored-out. that specific design in option #2 used to be made only by sonar(my housings have the sonar stamp on the bottom of the lens), just as the other designs had been specific to 1 company.

now china has copied all of the designs, and the guys like chad and i that used to know who made what design apply those names to similar housings..

·
Manual Swapped!!
5,977 Posts
^ mine are the same

My headlamps have sonar stamped at the bottom, but then I've had them for a while. I have the chrome version of the sonar single halo projectors

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is because the top post is wrong. They aren't actually Sonar's. I have no idea why they are labeled as Sonar's in the first post.
What are you talking about? All those pictures are accurate. Low beam projection and high beam reflective housing. That's a sonars design.

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah thought so..from what ive been told they are win something I forgot the rest...they also go by spec D
00-05 Eclipse BLK Dual Halo Projector Headlights Lamps | eBay

these are the same from #4 and they are in the description they are made by eagle eyes
Okay your missing the obvious here, but I'll spell it out for you. Depo, sonar, anzo, dual. All of those are not NAMES of the brand of headlight. It is the DESIGN of a headlight (though like stated it did used to be names, but this doesn't apply much more). Multiple companies make each headlight design. When I say "get some sonars or depos" that means get a low beam projection and high beam reflective design. Which are made by multiple brands.

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
What are you talking about? All those pictures are accurate. Low beam projection and high beam reflective housing. That's a sonars design.
But actual Sonar's have the name "Sonar" on the lenses of the headlights. The new dual halo's don't have that on it. You never said once in the post that you were only calling them Sonar's because of the design. (At least from what I have read, but I could've misread.)

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But actual Sonar's have the name "Sonar" on the lenses of the headlights. The new dual halo's don't have that on it. You never said once in the post that you were only calling them Sonar's because of the design. (At least from what I have read, but I could've misread.)
Actual sonar lights have been copied and reproduces in the dozens. The design stays the same. Low beam projection and high beam reflective housing. The name of the company doesn't really matter too much, unless one company just makes shit-quality replicas. If you wanted to start calling lights by the actual name brands, you realize we would have hundreds... right?

1 - 20 of 240 Posts