Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a friend of mine that builds custom turbo manifolds for Hondas. I spoke with him and he said he could make some for the guys that are running turbos on our cars that would replace only the manifolds so no piping changes. If interested let me know.

$750 for the pair.

We have cali spec but need a set of fed spec to do those.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Does anyone know exactly what type of metal the Fed Spec manifolds are made out of? Someone said that they look to be two pressed sheets of metal welded together....

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
JoesInBoston said:
Does anyone know exactly what type of metal the Fed Spec manifolds are made out of? Someone said that they look to be two pressed sheets of metal welded together....
That was me, and I'm not sure.

Here is a pic, fed spec manifolds on the top, cali spec on the bottom

Top Left: Rear Bank Fed
Top Right: Front Bank Fed
Bottom Left: Front Bank Cali
Bottom Right: Rear Bank Cali

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I never realized how hideous the cali spec manifolds actually are.........for a turbo setup there are only a few things that would give tubular manifolds an advantage over fed specs.

1 = equal length runners
2 = better heat retaining material such as inconel(wicked expensive though)
3 = a better collector, such as the ones you might find at www.burnsstainless.com
4 = if one has no head work done, then having primaries that are 1 3/8 inches to 1 1/2 inches would match up nicely to the stock heads, as to not cause turbulence. I just went and measured the extra heads that I have and the exhaust ports are somewhere between 1.375 and 1.5 inches in diameter. I would assume a primary with 1.5 OD would be perfect.

·
NA 4 now
321 Posts
JoesInBoston said:
I never realized how hideous the cali spec manifolds actually are.........for a turbo setup there are only a few things that would give tubular manifolds an advantage over fed specs.

1 = equal length runners
2 = better heat retaining material such as inconel(wicked expensive though)
3 = a better collector, such as the ones you might find at www.burnsstainless.com
4 = if one has no head work done, then having primaries that are 1 3/8 inches to 1 1/2 inches would match up nicely to the stock heads, as to not cause turbulence. I just went and measured the extra heads that I have and the exhaust ports are somewhere between 1.375 and 1.5 inches in diameter. I would assume a primary with 1.5 OD would be perfect.
if they are so hideous than why was A.A.I. able to get 320whp on them?

·
NA 4 now
321 Posts
JoesInBoston said:
they could get more with better manifolds :)
i have heard that fed spec flow better, but they seem to like the cali spec. thats what im tring to figure out. if and when i redo my pipes if i stay with the cali's or go with fed specs.

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
RICK03 said:
i have heard that fed spec flow better, but they seem to like the cali spec. thats what im tring to figure out. if and when i redo my pipes if i stay with the cali's or go with fed specs.
I would say use the AMSS headers you have sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
god no, do not use the AMSS headers......AMSS are made out of mild steel which are ok for regular headers, but cannot withstand the temperatures generated by a turbo system. You need stainless steel, inconel, or a cast iron manifold.

·
NA 4 now
321 Posts
JoesInBoston said:
god no, do not use the AMSS headers......AMSS are made out of mild steel which are ok for regular headers, but cannot withstand the temperatures generated by a turbo system. You need stainless steel, inconel, or a cast iron manifold.
that would be my guess. but the guy said they were stainless steel. they leak in the center where the pipes meet. i dont think they would do good suporting the weight of the pipes.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The manifolds will be made out of .081 stainless steel and will have 1.5 inch primaries. I do not have pics of them as they are not made yet. I am putting this out for the people that allready have turbos, he will do full piping with manifolds (with front mount intercooler) for about $2000. Yes that sounds high til you think the manifolds he will be building for the kit will be $750 by themselves and they will be alot different than the replacements. I will try to get some pics of the Honda manifold that he produces for VSV in Dallas.

·
Registered
219 Posts
<-- turbo v6 guy with stock exhaust mani's here.

When he does get a set made, please post the pics here. I'm very interest to see just exactly what they will look like. I'd love to see equal length twisted to fit between the radiator and the block and mate to the stock piping beneath the manifold! If this can be pulled off, count me as a customer.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
EdLo said:
<-- turbo v6 guy with stock exhaust mani's here.

When he does get a set made, please post the pics here. I'm very interest to see just exactly what they will look like. I'd love to see equal length twisted to fit between the radiator and the block and mate to the stock piping beneath the manifold! If this can be pulled off, count me as a customer.
Cali or Fed?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts