Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking into cleaning my throttle body (2000 2.4L w/ 108K, mildly erratic idles, p1400 code about once a month). I was wondering if anyone did this before and could offer me some tips. For instance, is it true that there is coolant or water running to the TB and I would have to flush whatever system when done if the TB is removed from the car? How effective are cleanings if the TB is left attached and just cleaned while "on" the car? Also, are there any sensors protruding into the TB? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks silverside. What about the fluid part? Is there fluid running to the TB?

·
TxTuning.com
6,807 Posts
Coolant runs through the body of the TB but not where the air is. you don't have to worry about mixing it.

·
TxTuning.com
6,807 Posts
Why does he need to remove it? How much gunk in on a piece only inches long?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Be careful where you apply solvent. There is a small wax bead in the IAC channel that can be dissolved and then you'll need a new TB. Check the tech manual for the location to plug.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the info, I'm not gonna take the TB off, I was just curious. It definitely needs clean tho, I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright finally got my TB cleaned. I used valvoline TB cleaner from autozone. I took the intake piping off and wow... TB was black, the only silver part was the size of a dime in the middle of the butterfly. I sprayed it down pretty good and used a toothbrush to scrub. The TB is now operating much better and I no longer have sluggish idles. Thanks for the advice!

·
TxTuning.com
6,807 Posts
That's good to hear. I'm sure using some seafoam (SPRAY) through the brake booster vacuum line (fat vac line on back of plenum / right side) would have provided similar results, minus the TB portion.

·
New To Site
6 Posts
I would never use carb cleaner on a throttle body.. Use throttle body cleaner.. There is a reason for the different name.. The chemical compound of carb cleaner may be to harsh ..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts