Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Throttle Cable Replacement

9K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Paradez_85 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

The other day I discovered that my throttle was sticking. After further investigation I found out that the throttle cable is frayed, causing it to stick, and it will need to be replaced.

I've ordered the replacement part and I'm debating if I want to attempt the repair myself or take it to my mechanic. At first glance, it doesn't seem like a difficult job. When I talked to the shop, they told me that "All-Data" bills the job at three hours labor, which really surprised me!

Is there something that makes this an especially difficult job? I'm comfortable doing light maintenance tasks. I've done brakes, sway bar links, oil change, etc. myself, but I know when something is beyond my skill level and when I should take it to the shop.

Comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

2003 Eclipse GT

Thanks

#2 ·
This job should take you maybe 10 minutes. There are 2 m6 bolts on the firewall you pull out. Then go under the dash and undo the snap on the top of the accelerator pedal by pulling the cable out of the green clip then pushing the clip through.

Couple more m6 bolts under the hood. Unhooks from the throttle body no tools necessary.

Its an easy task. Not really anything you can mess up so I say go for it.

#9 ·
You don't have to remove the throttle body to connect the throttle cable. You do need some slack in the cable though. During reassembly, I leave unfastened the two 10mm bolts that attach the throttle cable bracket to the rear of the plenum. Once the cable is connected to the throttle body, you can tighten the two 10mm bolts. Make sure you mark the bracket's location before you remove it so your idle doesn't change.

#10 ·
Man where were you at when I was makin a mess lol? Update I went in and took it all apart and started over btw it mattered about the IAC's motor size difference for sure I kinda rigged the one I broke just to see before I went to go get another one and all my codes are gone riding smooth and better than before... thanks guys for all the help definitely a learning experience for me ❣💋

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.