Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently replaced the tps on my car and it won’t start. It does, however, make a popping sound when attempting to start it. It cranks beautifully, but won’t turn over. It’s a 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse, with a 2.4L 4 cylinder. What does the popping sound mean? Improperly aligned tps? Vacuum leak? Clogged filter? Bad timing? If it’s one of those how do I fix it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
A bad TPS would probably cause a bad idle and maybe a check light. Check for fuel and spark, if you have both then you may have bad timing. check timing belt tensions they can fail and cause the timing to skip a teeth. video illustration for setting timing belt tensioner:

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,020 Posts
Reactions: GTSDriver2003

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,020 Posts
What do you mean by clocking? Is there a video one can search for?
The TPS has to be in a specific mounting position to read 0-100% throttle position. It is clocked in the same way you clock a distributor, when setting the initial timing of an engine: rotating it until the desired timing is reached. With the TPS, you loosen the mounting screws and use a logging program to determine where 0% is. At that point you may want to tighten the mounting screws and verify at WOT that the logging program indicates 100%. If you do not hit 100%, then your start point is incorrect. You'll have to loosen up the mounting screws and rotate the TPS until you see about 5% and then back it off to 0%. Tighten the screws down and then confirm 100% with you gas petal to the floor. The only range you ever want to see is 0 to 100%. It is intuitive and it's not hard to do. But you do need to have a logiging program (I use Blue Driver for my smart phone) or use the multi-meter technique which is in the manual.

Reactions: Percy
1 - 6 of 6 Posts