Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hates being a 2010
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I lowered my car a couple of weeks ago on gr-2s and eibach pro kit everything has been fine. Until just today when I had all my music off and head a loud thumping type of noise while braking. It also make the noise when I accelerate, almost like it makes the noise at a certain point during one revolution of my wheel. Thats the best way I can describe it. Any suggestions guys?
Edit: I forgot to mention it sounds like its coming from my back right wheel.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
^^^ As obvious as it probably sounds, good thing to check. Not just that the bolts are tight, but that the wheel really is on and held down tightly. Cross threaded lug nuts will appear to be tight when in fact they aren't all the way down. I'd remove them all, make sure the surfaces between the wheel and hub are smooth, and put it back on again. Torque it too.

Then you'll know for certain that it is on tightly and that you didn't cross thread anything the first time (it'll be real obvious real fast if you did).

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
could be a heavy rust ridge on your rotor, it sounds like hard thumping when braking. Its a long shot because it is most commonly found on vehicles that have sat for awhile but its worth a shot
Ehh, i doubt it because he is a GS, so he has drums in the back (and he said it is coming from back right wheel).

I too have a thumping noise while braking, coming from back right wheel (not lowered yet), but have had a brake shop look and said nothing appears to be wrong.

·
Hates being a 2010
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^ As obvious as it probably sounds, good thing to check. Not just that the bolts are tight, but that the wheel really is on and held down tightly. Cross threaded lug nuts will appear to be tight when in fact they aren't all the way down. I'd remove them all, make sure the surfaces between the wheel and hub are smooth, and put it back on again. Torque it too.

Then you'll know for certain that it is on tightly and that you didn't cross thread anything the first time (it'll be real obvious real fast if you did).
Alright thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out tomorrow and give ya some feedback.

·
54,487 Posts
not a bad idea to yank the wheels and clean the corrosion off the wheel face and car hub and then slather with some anti-seize or brake lube to prevent seizing/sticking and more corrosion. a wire cup on a drill works great on the wheel...hub is a little trickier due to the studs. We use die grinders with abrasive discs and even have one that fits over the studs.

·
Hates being a 2010
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah not too long ago while just spraying my stock wheels I cleaned all of the corrosion off the wheel and cleaned up a little bit of surface rust in the wheel well. Its tough to keep these things clean in wisconsin haha. But I appreciate the advice, also thanks again for telling me my wheel wasnt all the way on haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts