Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The GLR 4x4
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after about 2 years of having my eclipse ive gotten bored with it, especially after being walked by my buddies stock civic, which wasnt even an si or anything,lol. Now i'm just curious as to what your guys opinions might be of a good car to get next. I've done alot of researching on certain cars the past few months. I'm looking for something as a daily driver, but also good performance potential and aftermarket support that I could take to the drag strip on weekends. Only problem is, my budget is probably around 14,000 maybe 15k tops, as im still in college. A few cars I was considering was a 02-05 WRX, 95-98 240SX with a SR20 or RB25DET swap, SRT-4, or a 99-01 Cobra. What do you guys think about these cars? Anybody have any other suggestions?

·
The GLR 4x4
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, right now i'm kind of leaning towards the WRX but still not sure. The only down side to it in my opinion is that i'll be broke after I buy it and it'll be awile before I'm able to start putting some cash into the motor except for maybe an exhaust and one or two other small things. Unless I can find one with some work already done to it to get me started. That would be great.

·
Resident Asshole
6,056 Posts
Yea, right now i'm kind of leaning towards the WRX but still not sure. The only down side to it in my opinion is that i'll be broke after I buy it and it'll be awile before I'm able to start putting some cash into the motor except for maybe an exhaust and one or two other small things. Unless I can find one with some work already done to it to get me started. That would be great.
Everything but the 240 would be a good choice. The 240 may be too unreliable depending on who did the swap for a college student dd.

·
GO SOX
352 Posts
Definitely, my brother bought a Firebird Formula, we went to look at intakes and they run about $400. Only K&N makes them. It doesn't really matter, running a 300-330 hp LS1 gives him way more than enough power. I'd still rather build up a lower powered car though

·
The GLR 4x4
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd get the Cobra over the WRX. Just my opinion though.
I really liked the Cobra for that 300 horsepower stock. But then after doing some research, so far it looks like i'll be getting a WRX, mainly because of the awd for winter, and being turbocharged is a big plus. It seems like parts cost a lot for them though. But its not as bad as the 3G when it comes to aftermarket parts, so, cant really complain,lol.

·
The GLR 4x4
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would never drive anything nice if I were in college again. I would get something reliable, or at least a dedicated daily driver.
Thats another reason why I'm leaning towards the WRX. Its only going to be a few years old and im not getting anything with over 55k miles on it. When you say reliable, are you meaning something like a just a nice sedan or something to get you from point a to point b?

·
Subaru Driver
1,656 Posts
I agree.....and i really like the WRX's
Join the community, but don't be a dumb noob on the forums. Nobody likes that.

Swapped my old ride, which is still in the family, for the wagon and i have no, none, nada, zero, regrets. Well except for the expensive insurance jump.

Yea, the insurance might be something to consider too. Research that and get quotes before making the decision.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Honestly just save your money, get a nice DD 240 around 4k do suspension mods thats it. Have fun then buy an EVO.

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
When you say reliable, are you meaning something like a just a nice sedan or something to get you from point a to point b?
Well, my school has about 50k students and 12k parking spots. Your car will get beaten down here, you can't avoid it. I would get something with low miles, got good gas milage and something I could care less if it got worked in the parking lot daily.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts