Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Bringing sexy back
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 3G is now at 60k miles and it never got looked at when it went by 30k. I'm having it looked at by a shop, not the stealership. They are going to look over it and take care of stuff that need to be done. There is one thing they won't mess with they said and that's the timing belt. He said that it is recommended for northeast cars, so I have a question. Does this need to be looked at after 60,000 miles or am I fine not having it done.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I didn't change mine until 72,000 miles, and it wasn't like it was dying...
I only changed it because it sounded like an old Taxi on idles...

·
Bringing sexy back
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wel I will right when I get a chance to do it at the stealership, they place I'm getting it checked at won't mess with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just change my TB,WP,TP,IP,SB 3 weeks ago, I have 65K + miles on it and I'm in luck coz the tensioner pulley on is about to give up. The grease starts to leak out. The manual said recomended but not necessary???......I guess that depends on how the vehicle maintenance routine. Some say they change it pass 100K, so for me just change it... Its a pease of mind.

·
Xenon Powered
1,049 Posts
Mine made it to 106k on the facroty timing belt, good thing I took it than because another few weeks I would be in some trouble.

·
NorCal3G
1,560 Posts
When they inspect it they should tell you the condition of the belt, if its still lookin good then you could put it off but get it done before 100,000 miles. Just dont put it off too long regardless the condition of the belt. It already costs alot for sparks to get changed out as is haha. for the v6's. I guess its ok to space out the maintenance costs if your on a budget.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you have the money to get it done, then do it. Like everyones been saying, better safe than sorry, you have to do it eventually.

·
Bringing sexy back
4,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will get it looked at after the 60k gets done. The shop doesn't have the tool to do it and the said is was too much of a hassle for them. So I'm going to have to go to a mitsu dealer at some point for the belt. For the hell of it, how much does it cost to get the belt done.

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
It sounds like you already no what you want to do, but I'll throw my two cents in since I've had bad luck with my timing belt in the past.

Short Version: I had a timing belt replaced, and after about 2,500 miles, the belt snapped and I ended up bending a rod, resulting in my top end needing to be rebuilt. With that said, even though your circumstances are different, this same sort of thing could happen to you if the timing belt were to go. Get it done if you can.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey, does anyone have an estimate of how much that would cost me. Mine is makin all kinds of sounds but im afraid to bring it anywhere and also dont have the time with my job and all. :(

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
cost is going to depend on your location, I would think. Had mine changed
with the wp, tensioner for about $500. took them less than 3hrs to complete.
Also had tranmissi9on flushed ( I had the Mits. fluid).

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
Timing belts on the 6G72 are rated to last 100K miles. I had mine done at 112K and have had no issues. If yours looks good upon inspection, there is no rush to change it at 60K.

·
Registered
29 Posts
it's not the belt that goes bad, it's the tensioner/pulley/water pump that go bad, and take the belt with it, along with your engine (unless it's a SOHC, then you'll be fine if the belt snaps or jumps timing).

The belt is like $40, or something like that, just get it done along with the waterpump and tensioner pulley, etc.

Or would you rather pay towing when it snaps, time without a car, and possibly a new top-end on your engine??

·
Registered
24 Posts
All i know is Fox Mitsubishi in Maryland. Done my timing belt. gaskets ring an all labor for only round 499.99. For water pump just 50.00 dolors more.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ive seen kevlar timing belts go for $65 dollars on some car parts sites so a replacement shouldnt cost you more than that!

·
Registered
65 Posts
and also your not always going to be alright if your belt skips teeth and advances/retards in timing. i think the difference in timing from one tooth to the next for the 2.4liter is 12 or 15 degrees! you always risk the chance pistons slamming into valves if the timing is too far off!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts