Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any issue after changing timing belt sounds rough. An now check engine lights on due to camshaft circuit and crankshaft circuit. The new tensioner failed and let go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would think a timing belt should not make a sound, something else might be wrong. Your gonna have to get a compression tester to ensure the valves are not bent and are still seating correctly. Also in my experience the used of oem parts are generally better that the cheap after market parts. Reuse the oem tensioner parts if nothing was wrong with them. After setting timing correctly do the following for the timing belt tension.

(1) Setting tension correctly requires removing the tension piston and gently and slowly compressing the piston into the tension piston housing with a small C-clamp until a pin can be place through the tension housing and piston shaft(doing it fast can damage the piston).
(2) Re-install the tension piston do not remove the pin yet.
(3) With a bent needle nose pliers inserted into the tension pulleys 2 holes, apply tension unto the timing belt until the pin in the tension piston can move freely.
(4) Tighten the tension pulley in place and wait a minute.
(5) Check the pin in the tension piston for free movement.
(6) If the pin in tension piston is not moving freely loosen the tension pulley and repeat steps 3, 4 and 5.
(7) Remove the pin.

Here is a part from a series of vids on the matter:
But watch all the parts to understand how to completely do the job.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Sounds like the timing may be one tooth out.
I did one the other day on Mitsubishi 380 6G75 motor & I did it exactly the same as Rasheid wrote in his post, only difference was that I used a tension wrench set at 39 in-lb & held it on the pulley adjuster cam at that tension when I tightened the center bolt. Same outcome though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts