Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys
was doing some inspections on the car and i pulled the one side of the timing belt cover off to see if it has been changed or the condition of it. the teeth seem fine but the belts other side im not too sure about. i got some pictures that i will have down below of the belt, was just wanting some input on your guys opinions on if it needs to be changed soon or if i have some time. i drive roughly about 40 miles a week to work and back (work is 4.5 miles from my home) and the speed limit is 45 (but i go 55 馃槈). also i found the cv boot is torn down the middle on the left front axle. there is still grease on the axle, it doesn鈥檛 look too bad but has anyone ever done a replacement cv boot before? it鈥檚 on my to-do list but it鈥檚 not something i鈥檓 super concerned about
thx guys 馃檹

Automotive tire Rectangle Wood Grey Vehicle door

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Hood

Automotive tire Water Road surface Rectangle Asphalt

Grey Road surface Water Metal Pattern

Registered
2001 Spyder GT
I'd replace the timing belt soon. If it were me, I'd order the parts this weekend and plan to replace the the TB, tensioner, and water pump next weekend. I'd use the time between now and then to study up on the procedure and get any additional tools I need. I'd continue driving this week, but my daily commute is less than 10 miles round trip and only some days. I wouldn't let this drag on for weeks and weeks. I've seen a lot worse belts still working, but the consequences of a break are pretty severe.

I wouldn't replace the rubber seal, I'd replace the whole axle. You don't know how long that boot has been torn, allowing road sand to get all mixed in with the grease. It's like coarse grit sandpaper every time you drive. You can pick up a whole new axle at a place like rockauto.com.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome, thanks for the info
have you replaced the tb on your own? how long of a procedure would it average be so i can plan time on the side for it?
looks tight and is making me think it鈥檚 a pain to get in and out

Registered
awesome, thanks for the info
have you replaced the tb on your own? how long of a procedure would it average be so i can plan time on the side for it?
looks tight and is making me think it鈥檚 a pain to get in and out
This is dependent on how competent you are at doing a timing belt I can knock it out it 2 hours or less but I鈥檝e don鈥檛 them quite a bit. If it鈥檚 your first time I would say plan for 3-5 hours

Registered
2001 Eclipse GT
I would go and buy an Aisin timing belt kit. tha is what i replaced my timing belt and water pump with they are the best when it comes to these components.
I just recently did the timing belt on my 01 GT. If you get the Import Direct kit from OReilly, it has Gates components in the box.
good to know - Thanks BlakdOut & GTSDriver!!!!!!!!!

owenweyers, jelazar gave me this link to an online copy of the factory service manual - find the relevant section and familiarize yourself with the procedure.............
2000-2002 Eclipse Service Manual 鈥 Tearstone

when you do the deed, post pictures!!!!!!

Registered
I've done this job once on my '01 GS back in October, it wasn't terribly bad but went into the job ill prepared. There is a small tensioner with snakebite holes in them will either need to find a tensioner tool to handle that properly or really solid wire you can rig up to grab it.
Pry bar is the other work around but don't overdo anything lol.
I'm not very competent when it comes to these jobs and was my first crack at the TB and water pump. Set me out about 2 and a half days doing it on my own. But with the correct parts for the job and tools it's not bad and I gained a boost of confidence after putting it back together!
Required a bit of moving the motor around in the engine bay, had to put it on a block so I could remove 2 long bolts that went into the block. The subframe will be in your way when you get to that point. Just food for thought! Good luck and I couldn't exactly find proper directions at the time of doing the job so I watched two different YouTube videos and looked a bit on here throughout. Hope some of this was insightful!

Registered
2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS
The tensioner pulley tool is cheap. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H969EAK?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details.
I did the whole job and the issue with the timing is giving me fits. I am getting multiple misfire warnings. I will go back and check the belt again and check the proper alignment. Also Autozone has a kit with all you need timing belt, pulleys, waterpump, tensions piston and pulley for around $200.

Registered
Yeah going into it I wasn't aware of needing the tool for the tensioner pulley lol I actually got the Gates kit for $150 at Berrodin due to a friend's discount. But as for putting the belt on it was a pain getting the teeth to line back up. Hand cranked the motor almost 4 full cycles before we managed to catch the motor right before the weight pulled it back the extra quarter inch or so it would go. We didn't feel like messing with getting into the little spot on the front to catch it with a driver. But so far I haven't had any issues thus far 馃榿. I do have one more project though which might drive me to searching or creating a thread for soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts