Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend “fixed” the timing on my v6 eclipse like he would’ve on his 4cyl. Did he do it wrong? All he did was line up the 2 pulleys. I’m being told by my friend he did it wrong. My car will crank but not start, and it was fine before he “fixed” it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yes he did it very wrong and you more than likely have bent valves now. The cam timing marks DO NOT face each other like a 4cyl... they line up with marks on the valve covers. This is why researching a major job or having an experienced tech do the work is important. If you were local to MN I'd offer a hand. Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes he did it very wrong and you more than likely have bent valves now. The cam timing marks DO NOT face each other like a 4cyl... they line up with marks on the valve covers. This is why researching a major job or having an experienced tech do the work is important. If you were local to MN I'd offer a hand. Good luck
Hell even if you're not an experienced tech, which I'm not, the information is all over the internet particularly here. I'd have someone that you trust to do the research look at it before writing it off as a fucked head. Maybe he just didn't tighten a crankshaft position sensor enough and it broke. I'm definitely not talking from experience.

·
New To Site
91 Posts
I got friends who own tool boxes full of fancy do dads but that don`t make them mechanics .I have difficulty letting any one under the hood of my car unless I am positive they know what there doing ..Just the idle settings on these cars confuses the hell out of me . You got the little screw in the back that sets the throttle plate ..you got the biss screw .. you got the Idle air control valve and the throttle position sensor . I`m giving myself a headache just thinking about it ..I can tear down a 350 chevy carberated motor and reassembly it but I dont know crap about these motors . But I`m learning and the first lesson was Don`t let no back yard mechanic touch your ride .Hopefully you can resolve your problem and I pray no parts got damaged ... Best of luck to you bro ...Please let us know when you get this corrected . There are to many posts that just leave you hanging ..:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts