Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my 2003 GTS is in my friends shop and he hasn't had much time to look at it being busy. I am worried that I might have a blown head gasket that we havn't found yet (will explain why in just a minute). I was driving Saturday and I was sitting a stop sign when the car belched out a cloud of smoke and stalled. I just did the timing belt ( complete kit with water pump the day after Christmas) and have been driving for the last two weeks with NO problems outside of random stalling (my buddy says my alternator is not charging correctly but the car has 155k with the original alternator so I am not surprised). I had it towed to his shop and he was able to start it right up but he said it runs but runs like ass. We think the timing may have slipped no more than 2 teeth (I am assuming my tension loss tension??). The reason I say it might be a blown head gasket is because he checked the radiator and said it was low in coolant. I did change the water pump and filled everything back up or so I thought but, the car has not ran hot at all. Can our cars run with the timing off two teeth or more? Can this destroy the valves?

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,982 Posts
.... Can our cars run with the timing off two teeth or more? Can this destroy the valves?
Possibly. As you know, the 6g72 is an interference motor. Any slop in the timing belt could result in valves "touching" the pistons. Don't rev it high and fix it asap.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok fellas (and ladies) I really need help on this one. My buddy got the timing checked and he said I am spot on when it came to my timing belt job. I know the rear valve cover gasket is leaking pretty bad and the front is leaking around one of the tube seals. I am having a misfire on cylinder 5 hence the reason for running so bad. But the car is smoking pretty bad right now but runs. My next move is to replace the valve cover gaskets, plugs, plug wires, rotor and distributor cap but what really has be stumped is why it is smoking??? The only code it is throwing is for the O2 sensors (I dont remember which bank). My buddy thinks the cats maybe on their way out, but would this cause the smoking? If the cats need replacing, where is the best place to get this? I found some on Rock Auto for 100 bucks a piece.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so I have been posting all over the place about my car but from here forward, all post will be here. So we got my car put back together (the GTS plenum is a PITA). Car still have an injector failure on cylinder 5, is smoking again, and the only way to keep it running is to keep giving revving it all while blowing chunks of the catalytic converter out of the tail pipe. To add insult to injury, I have a boat load of rust on the undercarriage of this car that I did NOT see before. I am considering junking this car, but not before trying to find another 3G but this time either a GS or a GT (I am not a fan of this GTS plenum and if I need an engine, it almost impossible to find one to swap directly in, no I do not want to go 6G74 as this will be a daily driver somewhat). I am weighing my options of trying to fix this one and enjoy it until rust consumes it. I didn't see this when I first bought it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, I am still having a charging issue. The voltage is jumping around and some times cuts out completely. I have replaced my alternator and still have the same issue? I have been told this could be a plug in issue on the alternator with a bad plug (Nissan uses the same plug-in) or this could be a computer issue. If this in fact a computer issue, would my immobilizer be effected if I had to get a new ECU? Has anyone experienced this due to a bad plug connection at the alternator?

·
1,078 Posts
Work on one problem at a time. If you are having voltage issues I'd check your connections for corrosion, especially the grounds from the engine to the chassis. The factory service manual has a listing and diagram of all of them. Since you are having rust issues, you're likely having corrosion issues with grounds.

After that, check connections to and from the alternator and the battery. Check battery cables at the battery and the chassis and replace or clean all dirty connections. Not exactly sure where voltage is regulated on these cars, but I'd assume it's part of the alternator. Since you just put a new one in, I'd expect that to be OK. Check the FSM to confirm though.

Once you figure out voltage, then work on the cylinder 5 issue again. Fuel, compression, spark.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the tearstone manual, the voltage looks to be regulated by the ECM. Do you know of a way to check the wires at the plug going to the ECM? Possibly a faulty ECM if a bad connect at the plug to alternator. I have read this can be an issue.

·
1,078 Posts
I'd try to follow the instructions they give you in the manual to test the voltage. Might have a hard time finding an ammeter, but it might be needed to track your problem down.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so next up on this long hard road, I got my convertors replaced, new plugs, wires, distributor cap, and a grocery list of other new parts, we find out my engine has low compression on several cylinders. I don't want to go with a 74 swap, I want to keep the 6G72. Can you guys point me in the right direction for a possible remanu engine? I have call a few places but, they can't tell me if they are selling the GT or GTS engine.

·
1,078 Posts
Advance sells them for about $3000 all said and done. Might want to consider a salvage yard engine.

Rock auto carries them, but they seem to be out of stock. Might be able to call them and have them order you one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts