Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any expirence in removing shitty old widow tint? More specifically the clear film that separates from the colored film? It is also in the rear window and I don't want to damage the defroster with a razor blade or get raped by the tint shop for removal.......

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dam if you are trying to get the glue off its about trickier without a steamer. If you still have the actual film on the rest of the car do this. First buy some windex with ammonia. Then spray the window film with it and stick a black trash bag to it. It will stick to the windex. Then drive it into the sun and let is sit for a couple hours until it gets hot. The trash bag is so the windex doesn't evaporate and the ammonia can peal up the adhesive from the film. After that get a stainless steel razor blade and cut a little bit of the film off at a corner. You can take the bag off and if it is hot enough you should be able to pull the film with the glue. U can also use a heat gun for this. If you are really cheap and don't have this stuff try using an iron set to steam. Be careful though.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Screw steam. Pull up a corner with a razor blade and pull the film off. Then use windex on the remaining adhesive. Did my whole car in 45 minutes.

·
2.4LR16VDOHCAWDTURBO
1,515 Posts
Yeah I just grabbed a corner and yanked. Worked for me.

·
Fuck salt.
5,170 Posts
Fabric steamer for $25 then use a razor blade to scrape remaining goo off. If the tint job was well done, you will need the razor blade. Took me about an hour for all windows to be completely clear.

Reactions: Mattt

·
Registered
446 Posts
The trash bag and amonia works great. Just needs to sit in the sun for about 30min. it leaves little to no residue and shouldnt take but a minute to peel off.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I know this is an old thread but its a new problem here.
I'll see about getting and using a steamer. Hopefully the adhesive will come off too. I've seen a couple of youtubes of it being done. Don't want to use a scraper coz of the defroster grid. This is the original tint so its been on the car for 17years. I have concerns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts