Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Previous 3g Owner
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question for any tire techs or anyone who is knowledgeable within the subject.

I had a nail go into my tire tread, however, it did not penetrate anywhere past the tread. It is not leaking air at all but there is a small hole still in the tire from the nail.

I am just afraid that, when I start riding on them again, the tire will go flat on me.

I am not riding on them right now as I have a set of winter wheels on the G but I would like to get this fixed before I put any kind of strain on the tires at all.

I would just replace the tire but replacing a Nitto NT555 275/35/20 is not exactly cheap. Especially for a student.

So is there anything I can do to fix this?

I guess if there is no other choice, I will replace it. But if there is an alternative, I would definitely take that.

·
Stock N Slow...
163 Posts
If it didn't actually puncture all the way through, you should be fine. As you stated, its not leaking. Put some soapy water on it to be sure. If there are no bubbles, you should be good. I've ran across this myself a few times and never had any problems.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
If it didn't actually puncture all the way through, you should be fine. As you stated, its not leaking. Put some soapy water on it to be sure. If there are no bubbles, you should be good. I've ran across this myself a few times and never had any problems.
:agreed:

Back when I used to bust tires for a living, if it wasn't leaking it didn't get repaired...:bigthumb:

·
Christopher Pearce
2,542 Posts
The only thing I would worry about is hitting bumps. When I think about this situation logically, the hole that is there is now an obvious weak spot. So, when you hit a bump, there is less tire there to cushion the bump. Correct me if I'm wrong, but just take it easy until you do get it fixed.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The only thing I would worry about is hitting bumps. When I think about this situation logically, the hole that is there is now an obvious weak spot. So, when you hit a bump, there is less tire there to cushion the bump. Correct me if I'm wrong, but just take it easy until you do get it fixed.
There is nothing to get fixed...there's no leak...really, it's not really much different than any of the grooves in the tread, just in a new spot is all...

·
white35
581 Posts
I had the exact thing happen to me last year. The nail didn't go through the tire. There was no leaking or anything. The tire was fine until about a few months later it started to bubble. Thats the only problem I could see you running into later.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I had the exact thing happen to me last year. The nail didn't go through the tire. There was no leaking or anything. The tire was fine until about a few months later it started to bubble. Thats the only problem I could see you running into later.
Where did it bubble at...the sidewall or the tread? If it was the tread, you had a separated cord...also, if it was in the tread, did it seem to be centered on the location where the nail used to be, or was it a little off?

·
Previous 3g Owner
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the response, guys. I talked to Randy (iceman) who is a tire tech and a tire tech at a local place and they both said I will be fine. SO, for now I am going to ride on it. If something happens, I will just get both rear tires replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts