Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lower & Slower
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright I just bought some CMF Headers and a CAI, I'm also looking at the Greddy Ti-C Catback. I've been looking around and it seems that some people have installed headers and been fine without a tune, while others couldn't get it to work.

Basically I just want input from people that have the whole I/H/E combo or had it.

If you could list what Intake/Headers/Exhaust you have and If you had problems with just reseting the ECU. What Problems? How you fixed it? If you had ECU Flashed or SAFC?

Thanks

·
Lower & Slower
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have alot of research to do if I wanted to tune it myself. Tactrix Cable? I'm guessing that is someing to do with the ECU Flash.

I just wanted to see how peoples have been with just reseting the ECU, cause if I were going to tune it I'd take it in to the local shop (DB Performance) and have them flash it for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have heard that LogicGate does really good tunes...u can get the cable...plug it in ur car..do a few runs...and email him the a/f ratio's and all of ur numbers...he can send u the finished tune and all u will have to do is upload it and im pretty sure it wouldn't cost u more then $250 including the cable..he also guarantee's 20 whp on a stock gt

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I have a CMF Header, Injen CAI, and Invidia Cat-back. I have not tuned my PCM yet (I've been waiting until I get a wideband O2 sensor I guess). I didn't have to reset the PCM, just installed the parts and started driving. I've noticed an improvement in the "feel" of the car, but don't have any dyno pulls so I'm not even going to speculate on a performance gain.

A couple things to note whether you tune or not. Before I installed the header (just running CAI and cat-back), I would throw an O2 sensor code every now and then. After installing the header the frequency of throwing codes increased, even though I had a rear O2 sensor defouler installed. Also, running the header as it came (without cats) I had way too little back pressure which made the car sound stupid it was so loud, and when I'd let off the throttle coasting downhill the car would shake pretty bad from the popping...so, I initially installed the silencer that came with the cat-back. Since then, I had a local exhaust shop first install a high-flow cat in the front mid-pipe, and then a slightly larger resonator in place of the CMF one. I've since removed the silencer, the car sounds great, and I can't remember the last time I threw a code. As a note, the only reason I had the CMF resonator replaced is because something had come loose inside causing a rattle.

So, in my case, everything has worked fine without a tune. Once I get caught up on my research papers I may do a little data-logging without a wideband and see if I can make a few improvements, but hopefully the wideband will be in the near future so I can start taking better advantage of the parts...

·
Zero Resistance, LLC
1,948 Posts
Every car will benefit from tuning. Bone stock and moded. Tuning is so easy, anyone can tune a mildly moded N/A car. The ECU has so many safety features, it's nearly impossible to hurt your car.

·
Lower & Slower
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea was thinking about taking in my headers to get installed, just so they can weld on a high flow cat right then, because it seems like everyone with headers and a catback seems to think it needs it. Either that or a glasspack. I don't want to be getting in to any trouble with the local authorities.

I'll probally leave the tuning to DB Performance, so then i can maybe get a dyno run in and be able to put up some numbers (not that they'll be any good though).

·
Just Married 05-15
1,755 Posts
Tune or not to tune = Tune is free easy power right at your finger tips. The engine can already make more power in stock form you just need to tweak it. Also you will never achieve as much power with mods alone than with mods and a tune.

·
Lower & Slower
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea if your going to do it, do it right. I'll just wait a little longer to install it, so I have the money to get it tuned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts