Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I probably sound like a lunatic for asking this, but where would I go about hooking a tow strap on a 3G (GT) to pull a stuck car?

I encountered a situation today that would have been much more easily solved if I was able to pull a car a few feet with my 3G.

My first thought would be around the large center metal beam on the front underside of the car, right in the middle, but I am not sure.
I would also think that a spot on the rear would be better, so I wouldn't have to pull in reserve (and damage gears).

Thanks in advanced for any info!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a point on the rear that looks like a possible point. The bit metal bar that goes between the rear wheels. Seems solid and like it is part of the frame. Thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will tweak anything in the front or rear hooking a strap to it. These things are basically made of paper.
I'm pretty sure that as long as it's connected to the frame then no damage would be caused. Problem is I'm not sure what is and isn't the frame.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It's a unibody. There is no "frame". Attaching a tow strap to what you have circled will rip the suspension out from underneath the car.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
The 3g is constructed from tack welded metal the same way a third grader makes a paper house by rolling and taping pieces of paper up. It's sloppy, flexible, and tears very easily. You want to tweak your rear subframe or your core support go right ahead.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know how

the proper way to tow these cars is just behind the front tires and in front of the rears. the small oval holes in the frame(body). if you are putting it on a bed. cross your straps, snug the front first, ( have it a little up hill) put it in neutral, tighten the rears and re-tighten the front. park or first then. ALWAYS re-tighten after you drive a little, the straps do get slack. don't have pics, but I will edit this post when I get the car back on the trailer. it's in the paint booth getting lettered for the race season

how to tow thread started

·
Registered
7 Posts
This type of commenting is inappropriate for the tech forums. Keep it in OT if you want to talk trash. This will be your only warning.
Sounds like a bunch of pussys are in here
There is a hole in the front and back

1 - 10 of 10 Posts