Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home last night on the interstate. I had the eclipse on cruise control and went to slow down using the cruise control and the battery light came on. The lights and gauges started to dim. I turned off the cruise control and start to make my way over to the shoulder and realized the power steering was out. I applied pressure to the gas and had no response from that. The rpms just kept dropping. When i got over to the shoulder my eclipse stalled out. I went to start it back up and it fired right up but was idling really sluggish so i kept the rpms up in the 2500 range for about 30 second and let it drop back down to the 600 idle. The car idled fine and was holding the rpms steady. I went to put it in drive and the shifter moved but when it was in drive the car wouldn't move. you would not hear the transmission switch gears. I switched it from first to second and reverse and it did not switch gears. I took my foot off the brake while i had the car in park and the car began rolling backwards down the hill. Which indicated it was stuck in neutral. I checked the transmission fluid and it was at the right spot on the dip stick. I checked any possible fuses that could have blown.(none were) I did not hear any loud popping noise when i was driving. I there is no weird raddle from in the engine compartment after the incident or before. I have a 2001 Mitsubishi eclipse v6 Automatic. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
223 Posts
Check the post "Acceleration is very SLOW"... It sounds like it might be the same thing. Turned out that automatics have a "safe mode" that won't let you shift. Someone in that post explained it really well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well my car is not moving at all. it will not even try to shift into another gear to move it. Its acting like its stuck in neutral. None of the P R N D 1234 are blinking. They are all lit just fine. I have never had a problem with the transmission slipping. Transmission fluid was just changed 2500 miles ago.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks... im putting the eclipse up on lifts and looking at it tomorrow and scanning the computer.... any other ideas of what to look for?

·
Fossilized Member
1,206 Posts
About the only thing you can do to check the transmission externally, is check for proper hydraulic pressure at each of the ports. Check the electrical plugs going to the transmission.

Im thinking, for something to effect both the transmisson and the engine, it would either have to be the PCM, or something became bound up inside the transmission and then let go after you came to a stop. If you dont find anything wrong with the PCM, then i think you may be pulling the transmission apart.

Try this diagnostic starting on page 255. http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/GR00003500-23A.pdf

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nope ended up not having a chance to get in up on the lifts in the shop. the shop is closed until after christmas so i guess ill have to wait

·
4G64
37 Posts
I got the same problem with my 01 GS auto. No matter what I shift to N, D, R, +-, it will not move. The car is also making a whistle noise when accelerating and the engine is not running as smooth. Anyone know the cause? How to fix it?

·
Registered
220 Posts
interesting how their all dying out right now, anyone else know anything about this. i could film Eclipseman's car if it would help show what is going on

·
Registered
220 Posts
well, eclipseman and i just got back from a local junk yard where we picked up a tranny with 48,000 miles from another 2001 eclipse gs for $400 and were going to try and just swap them this weekend. The article explains why this happened on the V6 eclipses but not on the 4cyl but the symptoms seem the same from 2-3 gear there is a shift flare on both engine sizes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alright... i just got off the phone with the mechanic... He said that the transmission has 2 clutch packs on the back of it and he said one of them was just shrapnel. It being an automatic transmission i didn't know it had a clutch. Does this sound like what the problem could be?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
alright... i just got off the phone with the mechanic... He said that the transmission has 2 clutch packs on the back of it and he said one of them was just shrapnel. It being an automatic transmission i didn't know it had a clutch. Does this sound like what the problem could be?
Auto trannys do have clutch packs inside...they're a series of steel and friction plates that are pressed together with hydraulic pressure to hold one component of a planetary gear set still while the others rotate in or around it to change gears.

It sounds very much like that was your problem...if you fried the clutches, the tranny would have a hard time moving...very similar to a fried clutch in a manual transmission car...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
would it be possible for me to put the same type of clutch that goes in a manual transmission in my auto?
NO...they are very different animals...not even close to the same thing except that they both have friction material on them. I would imagine you might be able to find clutch packs with better friction material (if that's what you're wanting)...I know that a lot of companies make them for other cars, so they might for ours as well, but I haven't looked into that just yet...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts