Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a 5speed and its a quart low on fluid. It has Royal purple synthetic in there. When you pour a quart in it drains right out and it is starting to grind.
It has a new exedy clutch that was just installed in September.

any ideas??

·
Stock N Slow...
163 Posts
There are other threads on the subject, search and ye shall find. But I'll save you the trouble.

Drain the Royal Purple. Find a good Synthetic 75W90 gear oil with either a GL-4 or GL-3 rating. I'd personally recommend Amsoil.

Try that, and watch your grinding reduce, if not go away completely.

Also, when you pour oil in the fill hole (marked "Oil") and oil comes back out, it is full.

·
kickin it old school
1,487 Posts
I'd take it to a mechanic now and have them get it up on a lift and check it while it is still drivable. I'm paying the price...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are other threads on the subject, search and ye shall find. But I'll save you the trouble.

Drain the Royal Purple. Find a good Synthetic 75W90 gear oil with either a GL-4 or GL-3 rating. I'd personally recommend Amsoil.

Try that, and watch your grinding reduce, if not go away completely.

Also, when you pour oil in the fill hole (marked "Oil") and oil comes back out, it is full.
hmmm, interesting.. I thought royal purple was a very high quality gear oil? It was a mechanic who said that the oil seeps right out and that there is probably a bad seal but, he is not a transmission guy... So if its full it pours right out the bottom when you add more, really?? anyone else know this??

Thanks for the input Bd3G5

·
Registered
358 Posts
it will pour back out the fill hole if it is full. if it is coming out anywhere else, you have problems to deal with

1 - 5 of 5 Posts