Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to re-install my tranny onto my engine. The engine is out of the car. I keep sliding it on and it just wont go on all the way. I tried sucking it down a little and the bolt got really tight really quick. There is about A 1" gap. It is an automatic. Help please!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Check to make sure the torque converter is fully seated into the tranny...if it looks like it's only about as far in as it would probably sit when bolted to the flexplate, it's not in far enough...I haven't looked at the hub on ours lately, so I'm trying to go from memory, but most have a flat surface machined into the side of the hub where it slides into the tranny...you have to get that aligned just right or it won't go in far enough...you should know when it's in far enough because it will almost look like it's in too far.

It can be a PITA sometimes, but at least you're not trying to do it from under the car with a crappy tranny jack that's so screwed up you almost drop the tranny half a dozen times <damn poorly-maintained equipment at the auto hobby shop>

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
So is the torque converter unbolted and pushed onto the transmission input shaft all the way? Red lithium grease on the input shaft splines always helps get the torque converter seated.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The torque converter bolts up to the flex plate. Am I doing this wrong. Ive been all over the damn service manual and it doesn't show any instructions. Am I supposed to put the Torque Converter into the tranny first then bolt it to the flex plate? Damn it's beer time!

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
put the convertor on the tranny first, make sure it is all the way seated by turning it. It will slip into the dogs. then attach the tranny to the engine and bolt the convertor on.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
put the convertor on the tranny first, make sure it is all the way seated by turning it. It will slip into the dogs. then attach the tranny to the engine and bolt the convertor on.
:agreed:

That's where your problem should be. Once the torque converter is seated in the tranny all the way, you'll be able to bolt the tranny to the engine and there should be a decent gap between the torque converter and the flexplate...then just slide the torque converter up against the flexplate and start bolting it up (you'll obviously have to rotate it to get to all the bolts)...:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
haven't seen the 3G convetor, but if it's like some other that I've install
once you put the convertor into the trans you'll feel it stop. Now turn the convertor on the shaft while lightly pushing it towards the trans. and you should feel it drop into the pump. Like I said this is IF it like others that I've
done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts