Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Finally managed to get my car working again... for temporary purposes, I put in Lucas 75W - 90 fluid in and I’m thinking about replacing it with 75W-85 Mitsubishi OEM. How long can I have that in there before my synchros get eaten up? Also is the Mitsubishi OEM gl-4? It just says it fits EVO 8-9 and 3000gt so I’m not sure. Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gl4 is the right spec. Not sure on length of time and damage its doing. I do know that using a standard gl5 instead of 4 has ruined a bunch of tranny's for other manufactures notably Nissan pickups and some european cars. Many dealerships and lube shops weren't doing it right. If specs of fluid say yellow metal safe or gl4 you should be good, change out as soon as possible.

·
863 Posts
I think I ran mobil-1 for a while and it's not the right spec and I don't think I messed anything up. I also am pretty easy on my transmission though so ymmv. I'd say no rush, but take it easy on the shifts until you change the fluid out. After the mobil-1 I used a certain type of motul that is GL-4 certified. Not sure how it compares to OEM fluid in price, but it might be worth looking into. I think it was gear 300. Might be easier to get than OEM too. Ran in my lancer well enough.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you're looking for the dealer tranny fluid, the dealer near me has a ton of it for roughly 4 dollars a quarter. PM me a d we can set something up.

·
Registered
352 Posts
MZ320197 is the OE part number for the 75w85. The list price is $13.50/quart.

If you're looking for the dealer tranny fluid, the dealer near me has a ton of it for roughly 4 dollars a quarter. PM me a d we can set something up.
No chance in hell you can get it for $4/quart. That's less than half the cost. I work at a Mitsu dealership for reference.

·
Registered
62 Posts
MZ320197 is the OE part number for the 75w85. The list price is $13.50/quart.

No chance in hell you can get it for $4/quart. That's less than half the cost. I work at a Mitsu dealership for reference.
Agreed!!! My local dealer would only sell it in like 5 gallon buckets for $$$$$$$$$$. I have been using royal purple 75-90 with no issues. 2 new transmissions in 2 separate cars. 200k out of both.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'll buy some this week and send you the receipt. If this is the case, I will buy out the whole shelf. I just bought three quarts before Christmas. The dealership just gave up their Mitsubishi dealer status.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok, forget what I said. I bought and used the wrong damn tranny oil. I bought the Mitsubishi 75w-80w. Manual calls for 75w-85w. Good thing is I didn't drive the car but 4 miles when the engine blew the day I changed it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'll buy some this week and send you the receipt. If this is the case, I will buy out the whole shelf. I just bought three quarts before Christmas. The dealership just gave up their Mitsubishi dealer status.
So they sold you fluid below their cost just to get rid of it?

Ok, forget what I said. I bought and used the wrong damn tranny oil. I bought the Mitsubishi 75w-80w. Manual calls for 75w-85w. Good thing is I didn't drive the car but 4 miles when the engine blew the day I changed it.
They sold you unopened bottles of Mitsu blue top fluid? 75w80 is even more expensive at 15.50/quart list price. This dealer you're visiting sounds questionable but if you can save the money and it's legit I'm all for it :LOL:

·
Registered
127 Posts
So they sold you fluid below their cost just to get rid of it?

They sold you unopened bottles of Mitsu blue top fluid? 75w80 is even more expensive at 15.50/quart list price. This dealer you're visiting sounds questionable but if you can save the money and it's legit I'm all for it :LOL:
Well they did give up their dealership status. It's now just a used car dealer that is owned by a Chevrolet dealer in my town. So the fluid I used has a thinner viscosity to the spec fluid. Are you aware of any Mitsubishi models that could use this? I did find the correct fluid on AMperformance website for 16.00 a quart plus shipping.

·
863 Posts
I guess I never noticed much before, but GL-4 fluid seems to be all around expensive. Doesn't matter which brand, Redline, Mitsubishi, Motul, Royal Purple, etc. It's all $15 - $20 a quart. Geez. Was it always like this or are prices going up because less cars seem to use it now a days?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I went by my local auto places trying to find GL-4 gear oil. The fact that I got blank stares for the most part makes me despair of intelligence at such places. So after reading every bottle I could find at Auto Zone and O'Reilly's, I couldn't find a single bottle that said GL-4 ONLY. Most said GL-4 and 5, or never even mentioned a GL rating.

However, when I went to NAPA, they said they didn't have any on the shelf but might in the back. They came back with Valvoline MTF. "Recommended for synchromesh manual applications" and "Recommended for most GM and Chrysler vehicles". Okay, since the Sebring and Stratus are essentially the same cars I was hopeful. He called their tech line and they said that that is the gear oil they list as recommended for my car. (2000 GT 5spd) It was $14.32 a quart. I just went on Valvoline's website and found the PI Sheet for it.

Direct quote: "This product is recommended for Synchromesh applications in certain GM and Chrysler vehicles where synchronizer performance is vital. It is fully compatible with components in modern manual transmissions including yellow metals like bronze, copper and brass. Valvoline Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid is suitable for use in the following manual transmissions and transaxles: GM part numbers 12345349 and 12345577, Chrysler part number 4874664, and for top-up on applications in GM part number 12377916. Meets API GL-4."

However, nowhere could I find a viscosity rating. So is this safe to use? Seems to meet all of the specs other than not telling me a viscosity.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would not use anything but mitsubishi gear oil of the viscosity ot recline mt-90. Anything else and you're asking for problems

1 - 18 of 18 Posts