Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a used 2001 mitsu eclipse spyder GT (manual trans)...
Lately, my car is showing signs of what I would say is a slipping clutch... or possibly something worst. Seems to only happen when warm so far (but i havent confirmed this for sure)

In first gear, it seems ok. all power is there. in second, when you accelerate hard, the engine accelerates, but there but its like the clutch is not engaging untill a moment later...
...as if it let go, and its slowly grabing again.

The best comparison i could say would be as if you were driving an automatic, and you were in 5th and you floor it, and it takes 3rd or 2nd... that spaced out moment of acceleration which is not normal on a manual trans.

the same happens in 3rd and its more notable in 5th. if you accelerate hard in 5th, the engine will rev up by about 2000-3000rpm , but the power to the trans is sent only moments later.... There is no hard clunk or anything, its like as if it were slo000wly applying the clutch (you know like when you first learn how to drive a manual?)

Wierd.... im thinking about taking it in for service/check. I know i havent had the transmission fluids/grease checked But I dont know a good place to go around my area (columbus ohio) The only two places i have been told are Ricart and Roby Mitsubishi Dealers. The dealers want $150 to check the trans fluid. I can only imagine how much it would be if its the clutch.

I also noticed a slight noise when the clutch is not set (idling in neutral) and when you press the clutch pedal in, the noise gose away. its not loud to be notable, but a difference in sound is there.

I just got done paying ~$700 to get the timing belt changed. :( This is getting scarry.

The problem is only evident when hard driving is required (late for work) so for now, im taking it realllly easy... so if anyone has any advice, as in what prices to expect for inspection, diag, or simply trans fluid change, or even local shops that you recomend, id like to hear about it.

thanks.

· Registered
403 Posts
the exact same thing happened to mine. Except when mine burnt out, i was broke as ever and waited until i couldn't even get the car out of reverse. It was basically like revving the engine in neutral. And at the last minute, when i had the cash, i got it fixed. Just don't wait too long, because it might mess up your flywheel, maybe?

· boostin past V8s
530 Posts
i just did all my fluids yesterday, check the small fluid holder around the corner closest to the drivers side of the cockpit (its a really small one, not the wiper fluid or brake fluid or whatever... see if its below full or minimum... thats the clutch fluid, and can be filled cheaply with the proper hydraulic fluid(probably Dot 3 brake fluid) if its low thats probably why u arent getting smooth, quick shifts.

on another note, u did not list the mileage of the car, it could very well be possible ur clutch's life is wearing down and may need a replacement. but probably and hopefully not

· Registered
70 Posts
I have the same problem (clutch slipping) w/ my GS (130,000 miles). Any Ideas what the problem is?
If your clutch is not disengageing and the fluid is low, you might have a leak. My clutch used to fail to disengage. I would fill and bleed it and it would be good for about 6 months or so. It turned out to be a bad slave cylinder seal.

· Registered
6 Posts
put a new slave, mopar or mitsubishi brake fluid (check your cap read correct fluid)
i have same problem only 62000 miles
later check liquid level about 5000 miles ever

I put other brake liquid and my died:sam:

when you see liquid low or dark change fast and save money & many problems

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
75,000 miles here. hmmm im taking it in for inspection on tuesday. im still under extended warranty.
liquid is a little dark... (as usual as i have seen on all other cars i've owned. ) hmm.

· Registered
27 Posts
Remember the clutch is a wearable item that is not covered under warranty. The going rate for a stock clutch replacement is about $700. It sounds like it is most defintely slipping. If the pedal is mushy or loose then it is the slave cylinder. If the pedal is disengaged and your getting jumps in rpms under acceleration then your clutch disc probably looks like a smooth piece of glass. To do it yourself takes about 2 days with standard tools, a jack and a friend (unless you bench 300lbs like me) With a tranny hoist it might take a day. A stock Daiken OEM clutch is about $150 on ebay, or your can go all the way and replace the flywheel with an aftermarket and put stiffer, more durable clutch in.The stock pressure plate and TOB is incredibly durable. (as a matter of fact the ACT and Centerforce Stage two kits use the same pressure plate and TOB), but the disc is not meant for extended hard driving and frequent drops. If you are slipping right now, I estimate you have about 3-4 months of life in it if you don't push it hard, Or with me about 2 days:p
Eventually you have to feather the throttle to just get the car moving. Don't wait too long....

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
testing 1 2 3...
OK! seems i can log in and post now..

It was indeed the clutch. Due to problems logging in here, i created a thread on a different forums.
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74726

In short, I took the car to a transmission shop, had a clutch kit done... paid $859.44 .
Feels like im driving a whole different car now! Amazing.

· Registered
116 Posts
0okami said:
testing 1 2 3...
OK! seems i can log in and post now..

It was indeed the clutch. Due to problems logging in here, i created a thread on a different forums.
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74726

In short, I took the car to a transmission shop, had a clutch kit done... paid $859.44 .
Feels like im driving a whole different car now! Amazing.
good to hear all went well. I am curious, at any point, did you ever get a shaking in the clutch when strting in 1st gear on a cold engine? I am having that problem occasionally and want to know if it is a precurser to the clutch actually slipping?

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
snownut02 said:
good to hear all went well. I am curious, at any point, did you ever get a shaking in the clutch when strting in 1st gear on a cold engine? I am having that problem occasionally and want to know if it is a precurser to the clutch actually slipping?

cold engine? lots of vibration when accelerating engaging clutch/taking off from 1rst? Sounds familiar. Indeed. Very rare would it vibrate as much but sometimes it was really REALLY bad.

The best way i could describe the vibration is: imagine you have a disk spinning really fast... half of that disk is smooth and oiled down.. the other halfe as good dry grip... now try to stop that spinning disk with your hand... you will feel as it grabs and slides at the same time multiple times as the disk spins... and that motion send waves of vibration down your arm... sooo, similar is what i was experiencing with the transmission/clutch/gangagement/torque (im not mechanicly enclined sorry) when accelerating from 1srt gear only (aside from slippage in 3rd,4th,5th)

But that is gone now... I can engage fast, with no vibration . and when accelerating (flooring it on 3rd/4th/5th) the engine does not rev up without the speed matching it along...

· Registered
1,395 Posts
0okami said:
I also noticed a slight noise when the clutch is not set (idling in neutral) and when you press the clutch pedal in, the noise gose away. its not loud to be notable, but a difference in sound is there.
this is a known issue about the stock clutch on our cars. It's known as throw out bearing (TOB) rattle. It's harmless though and doesn't mean anything is wrong. If you got your clutch replaced with a stock clutch again, you'll probably get that same rattle again later on down the road. So don't be alarmed if that is the case. Mine's been doing it since around 6K on my 03 GTS. Annoying yes, but you'll get used to it after a while and won't even notice it any more....

BTW, glad to hear yer all fixed up :yesway:

· Registered
1,395 Posts
snownut02 said:
check your clutch fluid resivoir. mine did that when it got low on juice.

· I'm a wheelsucker
11,326 Posts
the exact same thing happened on my car tonight. exactly as the original poster described. im going to call some places in the morning. would it be best to get an aftermarket clutch (if yes any recomondations for a GT) or stick with an OEM? what is the price difference between them? would a transmission shop put in an aftermarket clutch i supply? thanks in advance

· Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I am having the same issue on my 01 gt coupe, the 3.0 L 6 cyl. I bled the lines and topped the fluid off which helped the slipping for a few test runs but this morning it started slipping again but only in 5th. Could it be the clutch going out? Or is it something that i am completely over looking? Thanks

· V8 > 3G
2,679 Posts
Hey guys, I am having the same issue on my 01 gt coupe, the 3.0 L 6 cyl. I bled the lines and topped the fluid off which helped the slipping for a few test runs but this morning it started slipping again but only in 5th. Could it be the clutch going out? Or is it something that i am completely over looking? Thanks
Clutch is probably going out. Just double check your slave cylinder and be sure that it's not leaking.

· Registered
1 Posts
I bought a used 2001 mitsu eclipse spyder GT (manual trans)...
Lately, my car is showing signs of what I would say is a slipping clutch... or possibly something worst. Seems to only happen when warm so far (but i havent confirmed this for sure)

In first gear, it seems ok. all power is there. in second, when you accelerate hard, the engine accelerates, but there but its like the clutch is not engaging untill a moment later...
...as if it let go, and its slowly grabing again.

The best comparison i could say would be as if you were driving an automatic, and you were in 5th and you floor it, and it takes 3rd or 2nd... that spaced out moment of acceleration which is not normal on a manual trans.

the same happens in 3rd and its more notable in 5th. if you accelerate hard in 5th, the engine will rev up by about 2000-3000rpm , but the power to the trans is sent only moments later.... There is no hard clunk or anything, its like as if it were slo000wly applying the clutch (you know like when you first learn how to drive a manual?)

Wierd.... im thinking about taking it in for service/check. I know i havent had the transmission fluids/grease checked But I dont know a good place to go around my area (columbus ohio) The only two places i have been told are Ricart and Roby Mitsubishi Dealers. The dealers want $150 to check the trans fluid. I can only imagine how much it would be if its the clutch.

I just got done paying ~$700 to get the timing belt changed. :( This is getting scarry.

The problem is only evident when hard driving is required (late for work) so for now, im taking it realllly easy... so if anyone has any advice, as in what prices to expect for inspection, diag, or simply trans fluid change, or even local shops that you recomend, id like to hear about it.

thanks.
Sounds like the input shaft bearing or the carrier bearing broski

· Super Moderator
54,047 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts