Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so here is the dilema, my 3rd gear syncro is gone in the GTS. So im thinking what other options could i find out there. I've looked all over the forums for days while at work and have found nothing solid so i figure make a thread dedicated to it. Well any swap options or other information you all may have about trannies let me know since im in the market anyways. :eek3:

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
New synchros... That's gonna be your best bet. There is no reason to swap the V6 trannies, they're basically a FWD version of the EVO tranny and they hold immense power. That's why you're not finding swap threads, no one swaps it. There's no transmission really to swap either. The stratus trannies should technically work but they require a Stratus clutch because the Eclipse clutches rub on the Stratus bellhousing.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
I have no idea, you guys must be hard on your tranmissions. Just go to mitsubishi and find out how much a set of synchros are.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I learned how to drive a stick on this and messed it up. dumb i know, but it doesn't fall out of gear or anything like that, just grinds a little bit whenever the rpms are too high when i shift up a gear

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
You keep driving it with a bad synchro and the rest will go too. You have chunks flying around in there beating other stuff. Basically its a time bomb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet

Well silver thanks for the info i appreciate it. I guesss while i have the syncro's redone I'll get an LSD put in there just for good measure.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yeah, i never thought about that, wouldn't just be easier to go and buy a junker that has good syncro's and isn't in bad shape and swap it out?

I talked to someone about it right when it started happening and they said it would be quite an expensive job considering that that they would have to break open the transmission and everything.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Yeah, i never thought about that, wouldn't just be easier to go and buy a junker that has good syncro's and isn't in bad shape and swap it out?

I talked to someone about it right when it started happening and they said it would be quite an expensive job considering that that they would have to break open the transmission and everything.
Breaking this transmission down takes an hour... LSD instals run 300$ tops and thats take it apart and put it back together. Shops specialize in this, they're good and its easy.
There's a reason those cars are in the junkyards, they're old and worn out. The synchros may be good, but only for now. If you get a good one, they usually start for us around 600 without a warrenty, and even then you get the 350$+ to install them. So it's pricy either way. IMO, get your synchros done with new bearings and seals all around. Rebuilds start around 800$ depending on parts. You rebuild your tranny now with everything and it'll be good for any power and fun for as long as you'll own the car. Do it right the first time or you'll do it again.

·
Boobs!? WHERE!?!
1,030 Posts

Exactly how would you go about finding a used transmission with good synchros anyway? All that work looking for them is time wasted going to the dealership and buying new ones.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Exactly how would you go about finding a used transmission with good synchros anyway? All that work looking for them is time wasted going to the dealership and buying new ones.
haha, i am not the best tool in the bunch. but thats the main reason im here

i think im gonna call up the transmission shop down the road on Tuesday and then talk to them about what it would cost to rebuild it.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Call your local tranny shops. They can get parts for any transmissions and can rebuild just about any if its a good shop. Plus you get their warrenty after it's done.

car-part.com shows all the good junkyards around that would have whatever part you're looking for this case being the transmission. They sometimes test, they sometimes don't. They are required to have a 90 day warrenty but they usually set down a longer one because that's junkyards get customers.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I don't know much about them other than what they have on their website but dogboxracing.com have transmissions with built parts for sale for around 700 depending on what type of car you have. I would think that is with a good core. It is worth looking into. Especially for tougher parts since you can't drive stick:fawk:

Remember when you are junk yard shopping you are looking for a GTS transmission not a GT. They are different.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
.The stratus trannies should technically work but they require a Stratus clutch because the Eclipse clutches rub on the Stratus bellhousing.
Incorrect.

The difference is the flywheel. The Stratus flywheel is stepped while the 3G flywheel is full faced, this in turn requires a different pressure plate. The discs are the same... The transmissions themselves are IDENTICAL.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Manuel transmissions are a breeze to take apart and rebuild. There isn't much to them, u could probably do the work yourself just by looking at the factory service manuel

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Incorrect.

The difference is the flywheel. The Stratus flywheel is stepped while the 3G flywheel is full faced, this in turn requires a different pressure plate. The discs are the same... The transmissions themselves are IDENTICAL.
Fascinating... A thread in the forsales section that was selling a clutch said it rubbed the stratus bellhousing. But, I'll assume you're right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok, so I also need to do a rebuild caused by a bad 3rd gear syncro also. Some of you mentioned going to the dealer, some others suggested upgrading the internals. I am all for doing it right the first time, should I go with mitsu replacement parts or are there other suppliers out there that may be better, stronger, etc? any info on suppliers would help

·
Registered
3 Posts
New synchros... That's gonna be your best bet. There is no reason to swap the V6 trannies, they're basically a FWD version of the EVO tranny and they hold immense power. That's why you're not finding swap threads, no one swaps it. There's no transmission really to swap either. The stratus trannies should technically work but they require a Stratus clutch because the Eclipse clutches rub on the Stratus bellhousing.
Why wouldn't you just swap bell housings

1 - 19 of 19 Posts