Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, it isn't really that big of a problem, but it makes me curious if anyone has every had a problem like this before. I know sometimes the contacts for the trunk light get dirty, and I should probably check them (I haven't yet) but my problem is that with the trunk open, the light doesn't turn on at all. I thought it was the bulb, but when I was putting the new led one in, it barley lit up touching one of the prongs, and not at all when touching both. BUT, as soon as I open my driver's door, it works perfectly as it should, but again, only with the drivers door open. Any suggestions other than cleaning the contacts?

·
Registered
146 Posts
If the light functions property (proper brightness and such) when your driver's door is open and just not when the hatch is open then it's can't very well be the contacts at the light. It has to be something with the switch that turns the light on when the hatch is open. I honestly haven't looked into it much but it's some sort of switch or sensor that likely switches a relay someplace that turn that light on and it sounds like said switch/sensor it is not working right.
Out of curiosity doesn't the door open warning on the dash work whenthe hatch is open? Do the regular dome lights?
I would expect to see issues there as well as in the trunk light because unless I'm WAY off about how these cars are wired (IE like every other car ever - more or less) there should only be one power input for that light that's signaled by other things happening (hatch open, doors open, etc.) which makes the switch/sensor on the hatch the culprit and not the light or it's connection.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see your point, as to why I never have cleaned the contacts, because I had the same thoughts. For the rest of the lights lighting up during other activities, to the best of my knowledge, Eclipses (I have had 2) use some sort of wiring that when the hatch is open, only the light in the hatch is on (in normal operating cases, unlike my current situation). I don't know if thats what you are trying to describe, as I suck with electrical, and your post does confuse me a bit near the end, but the only thing that I can confidently say is that with both 3d gen eclipses i have owned, the dome/mirror light does not turn on when the hatch itself is opened, and I have never paid any attention to whether the door light on the dash lights up when only the hatch is open as well.

Like I said, it isnt that big of a problem, I just barley pop open my drivers door, enough to where its still latched tho if i need to see anything in the trunk. I just would like to eliminate having to do that if possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts