Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I have been collecting all of my parts for about half a year now, a pretty basic Evo 8 set up. Since EcuFlash is pretty much going nowhere in respect to the auto guys i decided to try out what MAFT Pro will do in terms of tuning the car.
For the last two days I have torn everything apart and tried to install most of the things that I could but ran into a couple of problems. Got the intercooler mounted, the thing is huge, covers up most of the opening in the bumper on my 01 auto GS, and for those of you who know the opening is pretty big ( will post pics when I can). Put on my Evo 8 turbo with the stock mani and o2 housing. I fit pretty well with the spacer but was hitting the starter a bit so I had to modify the heat shield for the starter and gring the turbo a bit.
Now my first problem is the lower intercooler piping, the stock Evo 8 doesnt fit and the j-pipe either hits the wastegate or the crossmember. Got some pipng left over from the upper piping so will have to get that welded up somehow.
The other problem is there is no room to put anykind of filter on the turbo, the transmition cooler lines are in the way.

Also connected the MAFT Pro, the instalation was pretty simple and after getting to know the instructions and the unit it seems to be a pretty decent way to tune the car. MAFT Pro will only tune the fuel, the timing will be left to the EcuFlash.

well thats most of the things for now just got to figure out the deal with the intercooler pipng and some issues with the downpipe and will see if she will run anytime soon.

parts list:

Turbo/Exhaust
-TD05HR Evo VIII Big 16g turbo
-Stock Cast iron Evo VIII manifold
-Front mount intercooler
-Evo VIII O2 housing
-1/8" X 3/8" spacer
-Evo VIII downpiped (modified)
-Homemade 2.5" upper and lower intercooler piping
-Evo VIII blowoff valve

Oil/Coolent
-Greddy Oil Block Kit
-Steel Braided oil lines
-Oil Drain fitting for Oil Pan
-Coolant Lines

Fuel/Ignition
-NGK spark plugs
-new wires
-Evo FPR, fuel rail, fuel pump
-Stock WRX blue top 440cc non-STI injectors

Electronics/Tuning
-Zeitronix ZT-2 WB Air/Fuel monitor, Boost monitor, EGT Sensor, and LCD Screen
-MAFT Pro for fuel control
-Tatrix cable + ECUFlash for timing
-EvoScan

Miscellaneous
-All new gaskets
-Golden Eagle Vacuum Manifold
-Vacuum lines
-ssstuds.com extanded stainless steel stud kit with copper locknuts.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
ithinkyou said:
For those that are curious i used stock evo lower pipe and it fits pretty good. I think it could be better but i think that falls on the FMIC placement. Oh yeah i had to cut into the fender some more also. And of course paint it cuz i hate the attention for shiny parts.

I know the one of evo IC couplers is really long you for sure can get the lower stuff to fit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info guys i will try it out as soon as i get a chance, might not be till wednesday. Ithinkyou how did you get your j-pipe on and if that is a evo 8 16g then where is your waste gate and did you have to modify it. the reason i ask is because my j-pipe is either hiting the wastegate or the cross member

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
that pics from my fitment test so i didnt attach the WG yet but is fits fine though. Its the stock evo jpipe for the turbo. I did have to clock it just a bit after grining the lower water hose screw location but since im using that hose it still fits. You should show pics although it could be attributed to how your setups manifold and whaterver else is positioning the turbo. Mine sits pretty good.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

intercooler installed

zt-2 in the clockpad and maft pro in the bottom

close up

one of the larger studs from ssstuds.com, thats the one that gives the most trouble, had to move the power steering to get it in. picture shows only one because had to put the car back to stock.

one of the problems, one of the holes is lined up, but before the other one does it hits the wastegate.

[/IMG]
spacer

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RRE Flanges and Gaskets about half way down,
i got the steel one and the machining was free cause i found a guy that works at a factory and was willing to help me out.

the hard part is to grind it down, i tried a couple of machine shops around but they had rediculous prices, most of them said it would be easier to make one from scratch, just take a gasket and ask around.

another thing, try to put the turbo on first for fitment purposes and see what kind of angle you need, i got mine at 1/8" on top and 3/8" on the bottom and its a bit too close to the starter, may be 1/4" by 1/2" would be better, try it out and see

·
Registered
282 Posts
if you give it too mush of an angle i'd think it wouldn't even go on....

I was just wondering how much for machining and stuff

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
depends on where you live and who you ask. the two sizes i mantioned have the same angle. look in the yellow pages for machine shops or google might work, i heard people getting the machining done from around $50 and i had estimates go up to $150 at places.

the problem with buying the spacer and then machining it from what i was told is that eather its hard to secure (my guy treaded the two farthest hole to keep it down) or they are worried that it might warp, but it all depends on what kind of machine they are using and such

also you could try contacting RRE and seeing if they can make one on an angle for you

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
oh!! your jpipe hits cuz of the way youre tryin to put it on. I did mine the opposite direction. Actually after looking at it, i think the nipple is on the wrong side. Because the one on mine sits in that same spot but the pipe curves in the opposite direction of yours.

·
Registered
282 Posts
depends on where you live and who you ask. the two sizes i mantioned have the same angle. look in the yellow pages for machine shops or google might work, i heard people getting the machining done from around $50 and i had estimates go up to $150 at places.

the problem with buying the spacer and then machining it from what i was told is that eather its hard to secure (my guy treaded the two farthest hole to keep it down) or they are worried that it might warp, but it all depends on what kind of machine they are using and such

also you could try contacting RRE and seeing if they can make one on an angle for you
ah, the ange is the same i see that, i was thinking of doing 1/4 and 1/2 too, but then you have less threads for the nuts to secure it...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
wow that intercooler fits in the PERFECT. i like where youre going with this, keep it up! erep'ed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh!! your jpipe hits cuz of the way youre tryin to put it on. I did mine the opposite direction. Actually after looking at it, i think the nipple is on the wrong side. Because the one on mine sits in that same spot but the pipe curves in the opposite direction of yours.
wierd, got mine from slowboyracing made should have gone to the dealership, but it shouldnt matter now cause im pretty much set on making my own piping so i will cut it up a bit.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
wierd, got mine from slowboyracing made should have gone to the dealership, but it shouldnt matter now cause im pretty much set on making my own piping so i will cut it up a bit.
Here we go. I think i put the jpip on 1st and then the WG 2nd. I was planning on clocking the cold side a bit so i think thats how i got it to fit. Just run the appropriate vac hose and "T" between the two.:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here we go. I think i put the jpip on 1st and then the WG 2nd. I was planning on clocking the cold side a bit so i think thats how i got it to fit. Just run the appropriate vac hose and "T" between the two.:D
cool thanks, looks like your wastegate is held by only one bolt ill try if it works out for me

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well the project is moving along and hopefully the car will get started today, one question for you guys, does anyone know where the second o2 sensor pugs in. thanks

·
Banned
4,408 Posts
well the project is moving along and hopefully the car will get started today, one question for you guys, does anyone know where the second o2 sensor pugs in. thanks
there is a plug by the center console, where the SRS module is inside the car

1 - 20 of 60 Posts