Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
00 GT Turbo
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after months of reading and researching, I finally ordered a turbo kit--well part of one. :ndance:
I had to do all custom piping, including a custom front exhaust manifold.

Now I am trying to work out the bugs.. Like the MAF sensor and fueling. I have had to unplug the MAF for awhile (runs rich) because with it plugged in, it runs lean according to the AFR guage.

I just got an APEXI SAFC and plan to try that out for some tuning/fueling.

Has anyone had problems with getting the MAF to read correctly?

ps: stock fuel injectors. *I am doing the (probably not the best route) upgrade as needed approach.

Also has anyone tried to use Forced Induction with stock injectors/ pump?

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
I will call bullshit here and say you haven't done enough reading. Any amount would tell you that the 00 ecu is not tuneable, which is why your not getting "good readings". Unfortunately, the SAFC won't work on it either, few piggybacks (if any?) or anything works on the 00 ecu. Its smart, and will revert back to the stock tune no matter what you put on it. Your options are an ecu swap or a standalone.

The stock fuel system maxes out very quickly. You'll make low 200's whp and it'll max. A pump and good FPR help a lot though, people underestimate exactly how much you can do bumping the fuel pressure. It just gets difficult to tune. IMO, if you're going low boost, like, really low, then grab some 6g74 270's or even better, some 6g75 310s and bump the pressure. Though that is the seriously cheap route.

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,057 Posts
sigh. Where did you order this half turbo kit and give us more details about the kit. I dont think it was a smart decision to unplug the MAF and drive it. What kind of AFR guage do you have. Is it a actual wideband or one of those crappy blinky gauge that taps into the narrow band. That SAFC wont get you far especially on stock injectors. Are you sure you did months of reading and researching cause it doesnt seems like it from what you have said so far.

·
00 GT Turbo
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the advice on the injector swap/ fpr and pump.

I like the FPR and new pump idea. I have heard of people having trouble tuning the 00; I may have to do the ecu swap to get anywhere with this one.

Like I said, I just planned on doing this one with the "upgrade as needed" approach. Hopefully nothing dies along the way.

I noticed when I unplugged the MAF, the car went rich, so I figured by tweaking the signal with the SAFC would help bend things a little closer to a good map vs the lean (with the MAF plugged) and the rich (MAF unplugged).

I guess I will find out in a couple of days when I get the SAFC installed.

Anyone used (or tried to) the SAFC with any good results: with 00 or at all?

·
00 GT Turbo
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sigh. Where did you order this half turbo kit and give us more details about the kit. I dont think it was a smart decision to unplug the MAF and drive it. What kind of AFR guage do you have. Is it a actual wideband or one of those crappy blinky gauge that taps into the narrow band. That SAFC wont get you far especially on stock injectors. Are you sure you did months of reading and researching cause it doesnt seems like it from what you have said so far.
It's not a wideband, it's a gauge using the narrowband sensor I picked up at Autozone, just to monitor things at least enough to know if I was running too lean, as I did not want to drive blindly around without knowing a thing about the AFR.

Not the best, I know, but it does give me a peer into how rich/lean I am running. But it's a start.

Thanks for the response. I am looking for advice here. Thanks. Keep it coming!

·
00 GT Turbo
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ok. I got a kit off ebay, (i know, not the best. but I had to start somewhere. This is my first FI project). I got the turbo, intercooler, IC piping, TB timer, etc.

I installed the TB, intercooler, oil lines, etc. I intalled boost/vac gauge, narrowband AFR gauge, and oil pressure gauge to monitor things.

I realise there is a lot of room for improvement, and that is how I planned on doing it. That is why I am asking those who have experience Doing it.
I will try to get some photos as soon as I get a chance--maybe tomorrow.

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,057 Posts
It's not a wideband, it's a gauge using the narrowband sensor I picked up at Autozone, just to monitor things at least enough to know if I was running too lean, as I did not want to drive blindly around without knowing a thing about the AFR.

Not the best, I know, but it does give me a peer into how rich/lean I am running. But it's a start.

Thanks for the response. I am looking for advice here. Thanks. Keep it coming!
you are basically driving blind that gauge doesnt do shit but flash pretty colors. Get a real wideband and sell that other gauge. Get yourself a data logger and a piggy back. Whats your goals and budget for this car

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,057 Posts
ok. I got a kit off ebay, (i know, not the best. but I had to start somewhere. This is my first FI project). I got the turbo, intercooler, IC piping, TB timer, etc.

I installed the TB, intercooler, oil lines, etc. I intalled boost/vac gauge, narrowband AFR gauge, and oil pressure gauge to monitor things.

I realise there is a lot of room for improvement, and that is how I planned on doing it. That is why I am asking those who have experience Doing it.
I will try to get some photos as soon as I get a chance--maybe tomorrow.
I hope this isnt one of those ebay turbo kits with the shitty turbos on it. What size turbo is it

·
00 GT Turbo
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you are basically driving blind that gauge doesnt do shit but flash pretty colors. Get a real wideband and sell that other gauge. Get yourself a data logger and a piggy back. Whats your goals and budget for this car
I am looking for under 300 with stock internals. This build is to get the knowhow on FI and to get my hands dirty with Turbo builds. \

In a couple of years, if this one lasts that long, I will rebuild or go with a DOHC TT swap from a 3000GT TT. That is the plan.

Budget is pretty much on hold other than getting what I've have running right. I can sped a hundred or two here and there until I get through school (Machining) in around a year. Budget is pretty much putting off major mods off until I get finished with school.
Unless of course, I am forced to move on from unfortunate circumstances like a blown engine :noway:. which hopefully I can avoid.

·
00 GT Turbo
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Search

All of your questions so far I can find in under 10 mins by searching this forum. Also, stop half-assing a turbo build, it will blow your engine, do it right the first time.
I have been reading the forum for months.. Yeah, I have seen people do builds from simple ripp with electronics to full engine builds--pistons, valves, etc.

What I am asking is if anyone has done the project with stock injectors with a low boost (say 6lbs).

"Do it right the first time" meaning do a complete rebuild or what? Yeah that would be nice, but I am looking to learn from this one, not get bashed for asking for advice from those who have tried it.

I have yet to see anybody posting "well I tried to use stock injectors and pump, and they maxed out at x'rpm at 5lbs. so i upgraded to 450cc."

That is the type of stuff I'm looking for, as well as advice on particular things from people who like helping others learn, realizing that they had to start somewhere themself.

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,057 Posts
You wanna know why you haven't seen someone use stock injectors for a FI app because noone is stupid enough to try that. Stop being cheap and get a proper fuel system. I notice you keep saying you searched for months but did you even read the stickies in the gt/gts FI forum because there's a complete walkthrough of what you need to properly turbo this car

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Can we get an IP check? Someone is fucking w/ us. :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.