Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 eclipse gt that just got out of the body shop that faced 6300 in damage i thought about selling it and buying a 4 door luxury car. But i thought and thought and i just cant do it. im really not ready to give this up so early in the game. I have always wanted to turbo my clipse but i have been searching and searching to see exactly what im getting myself into and im trying to find out if all these guys with turbos are guys like me with above average car knowledge doing this stuff in their garage, or do i need to be hardcore racer with all the knowledge tools and rescources in the world?...but when it comes down to is my basic question is that if i go pick out the kit i want for my car buy it install it set it to 6psi is this car going to be a constant worry or nightmare always worrying if my engine is going to go? or will i be able to set this up get it tuned and have it as a reliable daily driver? and also i know this isnt going to be any walk in the park i know it will take ALOT of time and alot of work but im just concerned if this will be my worst nightmare because i definatley have heard too many horror stories
Ps: this car most likely will not be used on the track

·
Boosted
3,343 Posts
well $6300 is less than what you'd spend to turbo it, blow it up figuring that out, rebuilding, troubleshooting then parting it out and taking a loss...

or

you could always pay GCT to make a kit for you then you wouldnt have any turbo problems...mainly cause you'd never receive a the kit to put on the car :lol:

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
TheFranchise said:
you could always pay GCT to make a kit for you then you wouldnt have any turbo problems...mainly cause you'd never receive a the kit to put on the car :lol:
:rofl:

I consider myself the average joe shadetree mechanic who has no formal training in auto repair, but I was able to successfully install the GCT turbo in my Galant, by myself, in my own garage with basic hand tools and a crappy air compressor. The car was my daily driver, commuting to work every weekday for about 60 miles round trip for the past 5-6 months. She ran pretty well, until the auto transmission crapped out on me back in August.

So yeah, it can be done, but its a good idea to have a lot of extra cash for the stuff that will eventually break.

·
Boosted
3,343 Posts
WanderingPinoy said:
So yeah, it can be done, but its a good idea to have a lot of extra cash for the stuff that will eventually break.
rule of thumb for 6g72 NA to FI whether it be a turbo or SDS; Dont do it unless you have disposable income for a new engine and labor

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
TheFranchise said:
rule of thumb for 6g72 NA to FI whether it be a turbo or SDS; Dont do it unless you have disposable income for a new engine and labor
:bigthumb:

·
stupid booster
7,219 Posts
WanderingPinoy said:

I consider myself the average joe shadetree mechanic who has no formal training in auto repair, but I was able to successfully install the GCT turbo in my Galant, by myself, in my own garage with basic hand tools and a crappy air compressor. The car was my daily driver, commuting to work every weekday for about 60 miles round trip for the past 5-6 months. She ran pretty well, until the auto transmission crapped out on me back in August.

hey fellow turbo kit installer :wavey:

·
Registered
738 Posts
TheFranchise said:
Oops! I did go FI :wiggle: and I dont have money for a new engine. Maybe my safe tune at 6lbs. will be ok for a while?

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
tearstone has a turbo kit? How much?
Tearstone no longer sells a kit as there have been issues w/ the supplier. He will however have a few kits to sell whenever the supplier fulfills the backorder. ETA? Probably about the time hell freezes over.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
I'm sure Tearstone himself will make an announcement. My name isn't Jimmy and I'm not his pimp.

·
Evo IX
1,767 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.