Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

turbo suggestion

Tags
turbo size
1K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  00Clipse 
#1 ·
okay so i've searched the site for help with my problem and i need some answers and some guidence in what to do, so here go's. I have a big 16g turbo with an evo fmic, vr4 fuel pump and planning on getting a fuel pump and ems, now my question is i have a 01 gt sporty with intake and exhaust. Will the big 16g turbo work, i know the dsm turbos are too small so tahts why i went evo turbo. i dont plan on going crazy hp, i just want more hp but the cheap way, so that means no N/A build, and not buying a full kit, im trying to peice this together. What more do i need? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
Nabeel said:
okay so i've searched the site for help with my problem and i need some answers and some guidence in what to do, so here go's. I have a big 16g turbo with an evo fmic, vr4 fuel pump and planning on getting a fuel pump and ems, now my question is i have a 01 gt sporty with intake and exhaust. Will the big 16g turbo work, i know the dsm turbos are too small so tahts why i went evo turbo. i dont plan on going crazy hp, i just want more hp but the cheap way, so that means no N/A build, and not buying a full kit, im trying to peice this together. What more do i need? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
There's not like 500,000 threads on this. Anyways you'll be fine with the 16g. Get a good Walbro pump, rc injectors, and an e manage to tune. You won't need an ems if your not getting into real high boost. A good idea is to get a wideband to keep an eye on your af ratio, an oil pressure gauge, a boost gauge, and a pyrometer.

#9 ·
Tearstone said:
If your going to use a turbo that small with a V6, you better build your engine up from the get go.
Well i dont plan on going high boost, mabye 6-8 psi. What rpm do you think the turbo will start spooling up on my car. What would be some good size injectors. And can i just get a reflash on my ecu. Will the vr4 fuel pump work on my car? any more suggestions?

#10 ·
Nabeel said:
Well i dont plan on going high boost, mabye 6-8 psi. What rpm do you think the turbo will start spooling up on my car. What would be some good size injectors. And can i just get a reflash on my ecu. Will the vr4 fuel pump work on my car? any more suggestions?
That does not matter, the heat build up that will occur with such a small turbine housing will undoubtedly cause premature piston failure.

#12 ·
Tearstone said:
That does not matter, the heat build up that will occur with such a small turbine housing will undoubtedly cause premature piston failure.
:agreed: Personally I wouldnt go with anything smaller then a t3/t4.

#16 ·
Tearstone said:
A T3/T4 with a .63 A/R hot side we've found seems to be the minimum to be safe at 8psi. .48 a/r will be fine at 6psi, not so much at 8.
In your opinion what rpm range do you think I might see full boost with my ballbearing T4 with a .50 A/R hotside? Im thinking somewhere around 3,200 3,500rpms.

#17 ·
ryu said:
In your opinion what rpm range do you think I might see full boost with my ballbearing T4 with a .50 A/R hotside? Im thinking somewhere around 3,200 3,500rpms.
The T4 A/Rs are a different beast than T3s. With your setup, I honestly don't know when boost is going to kick in since you have dramatically increased the volumetric efficiency of your car with cams, port & polish etc. Also, what's full boost?

#18 ·
Tearstone said:
hmm. i see what you mean, so if i run a t3/t4 turbo with 8psi i can run off stock internals? because i really can't pull out my motor to swap out pistons and nor do i have the money to do it. i might go with the big 16g because im getting it for dirt cheap, then i mite save up for the t3/t4. also does anybody have any cheap piping i could buy off them?

#19 ·
Nabeel said:
hmm. i see what you mean, so if i run a t3/t4 turbo with 8psi i can run off stock internals? because i really can't pull out my motor to swap out pistons and nor do i have the money to do it. i might go with the big 16g because im getting it for dirt cheap, then i mite save up for the t3/t4. also does anybody have any cheap piping i could buy off them?
You don't read so well do you.

#20 · (Edited)
Nabeel said:
hmm. i see what you mean, so if i run a t3/t4 turbo with 8psi i can run off stock internals? because i really can't pull out my motor to swap out pistons and nor do i have the money to do it. i might go with the big 16g because im getting it for dirt cheap, then i mite save up for the t3/t4. also does anybody have any cheap piping i could buy off them?.
Tearstone said:
A T3/T4 with a .63 A/R hot side we've found seems to be the minimum to be safe at 8psi. .48 a/r will be fine at 6psi, not so much at 8.
clipse3gt said:
You don't read so well do you.
:confused:

#21 ·
IM sorry but your using the word "cheap" and it doesnt go well with a fully functional realible turbo kit. nothing is ever 100% full proof man. you could boost 1psi and prob blow your engine. If your not will to completly tackle the entire setup and the risk that are involved then dont do it

#23 ·
icemanrld19 said:
IM sorry but your using the word "cheap" and it doesnt go well with a fully functional realible turbo kit. nothing is ever 100% full proof man. you could boost 1psi and prob blow your engine. If your not will to completly tackle the entire setup and the risk that are involved then dont do it
At 1psi you will blow an engine.

#24 ·
icemanrld19 said:
ya i guess you are right, i might just do the motor build first then get a nicer turbo to do it with. but money is kinda of hard to come buy right now for a 17year old, gas, insurance, and car payments are killing me.

#26 ·
Tearstone said:
The T4 A/Rs are a different beast than T3s. With your setup, I honestly don't know when boost is going to kick in since you have dramatically increased the volumetric efficiency of your car with cams, port & polish etc. Also, what's full boost?
I guess a fair guestimate for 400whp would be around 17psi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.