Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright im damn near going to install my turbo, i guess im over thinking this but correct me if im wrong.

I know the internal wastegate on my TD05HR controls the boost, unless i want more boost than the internal wastegate can handle i throw in a MBC in there right? Or since this is somewhat custom install do i need a boost controller right off the bat?

As for the internal wastegate and boost gauge i need to T it off of the FPR/FMU vacuum source yes?

What do i do about the two breather valves? One on the left goes from valve cover to intake manifold, and the other goes from valve cover to air intake tubing.

For my SSQV III BOV do i need to make it a Recirculating BOV? ill probably keep it Open if possible.

Sorry if im really misinformed.

Trying to turn my miles per gallon, to smiles per gallon...

·
Willful Aspirer
2,356 Posts
So my :twocent: on the BOV at least. Assuming you will keep running a MAF system you want to recirculate it. When you do not recirculate the BOV the air that the engine expects to have is sent into the atmosphere causing your engine to run rich. For optimum performance you don't want that to happen. (btw there are plenty of turbo builds out there that get good MPG)

You can fix the richness with an EMS but why waste that extra performance potential?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So my :twocent: on the BOV at least. Assuming you will keep running a MAF system you want to recirculate it. When you do not recirculate the BOV the air that the engine expects to have is sent into the atmosphere causing your engine to run rich. For optimum performance you don't want that to happen. (btw there are plenty of turbo builds out there that get good MPG)

You can fix the richness with an EMS but why waste that extra performance potential?

Probably will make it re cir I'm just trying to get the turbo on and running.

Hopefully I can get someone's help on the other questions.

·
V8 > 3G
2,712 Posts
I used to run PCVs off an Evo for the breather ports on the valve covers. Forget the part number but they're a simple one way check valve that only cost a few dollars. Install one between the valve cover and intake manifold, allowing for vacuum to be drawn on the crankcase outside of boost. I placed the other check valve on a line that just dumped under the car that allowed anything above atmospheric pressure to be bleed off when boost kicked in.

You could also run both breathers to a catch can too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used to run PCVs off an Evo for the breather ports on the valve covers. Forget the part number but they're a simple one way check valve that only cost a few dollars. Install one between the valve cover and intake manifold, allowing for vacuum to be drawn on the crankcase outside of boost. I placed the other check valve on a line that just dumped under the car that allowed anything above atmospheric pressure to be bleed off when boost kicked in.

You could also run both breathers to a catch can too.

On my valve cover you can only screw on the evo pcv valve between the valve cover and intake manifold. The other side seems to be open to atmosphere. With just a 90 degree angle and flanged to hold the hose. When you say place a one way check valve on this is it after market? Or do I just grab a couple ft of hose and vent to atmosphere under the car. ImageUploadedByAG Free1461703213.385344.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1461703302.962106.jpg

I plan on using a catch can once I upgrade injectors, a bigger intercooler, better clutch, ect. to get it to my 300whp goal.

·
V8 > 3G
2,712 Posts
On my valve cover you can only screw on the evo pcv valve between the valve cover and intake manifold. The other side seems to be open to atmosphere. With just a 90 degree angle and flanged to hold the hose. When you say place a one way check valve on this is it after market? Or do I just grab a couple ft of hose and vent to atmosphere under the car. View attachment 20714 View attachment 20722

I plan on using a catch can once I upgrade injectors, a bigger intercooler, better clutch, ect. to get it to my 300whp goal.
Those are the exact valves I was talking about. They only flow one direction so if you were to plumb it into your intake you'd have vacuum on the crankcase outside of boost and you'd essentially be pressurizing your crankcase while in boost with blowby. With the V6 i had a valve for each bank. One leading to the intake manifold for the advantages of intake vacuum while cruising and the other I just dumped under the car with some vacuum line. Seeing as how you only have one I'd either take the cheap route and dump it or spend the money on a catch can that benefits you in no way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those are the exact valves I was talking about. They only flow one direction so if you were to plumb it into your intake you'd have vacuum on the crankcase outside of boost and you'd essentially be pressurizing your crankcase while in boost with blowby. With the V6 i had a valve for each bank. One leading to the intake manifold for the advantages of intake vacuum while cruising and the other I just dumped under the car with some vacuum line. Seeing as how you only have one I'd either take the cheap route and dump it or spend the money on a catch can that benefits you in no way.
I am kinda in the same boat here, so you suggest just dumping both of them into atmosphere and close the hole on the intake manifold?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts