Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know I will get flamed to all hell for this. But I have to ask. I know I have heard the horror stories of "ebay" turbo's. But lets say one where to buy a decent "ebay" or "non name brand" turbo. I have a turbo from a company called CX racing. click here for specs.
the turbo is well built, the shaft is in perfect order (per my friends dial indicator).

So my question is why would this turbo be of any less able to produce the same result then a name brand turbo of the same specs? I dont have a compressor map for this turbo, but it should be teh same as others.

Lets Discuss.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
i believe thats just an ebay turbo sold on a website. the shaft may appear fine but what about the internals? it might just go to hell again when you put any load on the unit. just a guess though. ebay turbos are hit and miss. i say 1 out of every 10 actually work fine for a few thousand miles.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I have a garret rebuild kit on hand if something does go wrong. But lets say the internals are of good quality, theoretically *sp* it should preform the same as a name brand turbo correct?

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will also be buying there intercooler and pipping. I had them on my first attempt to turbo and they where excellent quality

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
theres egay horror stories mostly because of reliability. If you look at jwahls "turbo" and "blew my rings" thread. I think his turbo was originally shit. you could hear its didnt sound right in his vids. But whatever just my opinion. Obviously others have done the ebay kit route successfully so its hit an miss. Im not cool with hit and miss to drive my car boosted for a week or month then its broken. Id rather get a working turbo somewhere else, and be rest assured on the reliability...

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
I understand that turbocharging your car is an expensive process, and very time consuming and difficult at time. When you're trying to do it, you want to ease the burdon (wallet) wherever possible.

But......its called TURBOcharging, and thats the last part that you should be skimping out on. Its probably only second to tuning, IMO.

As for that turbo, I think that anything under $500 new is probably not good quality, and I wouldn't risk the "might not fail" kinda thing. I would want it to be, "this is a bad ass durable turbo" kinda thing.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I understand that turbocharging your car is an expensive process, and very time consuming and difficult at time. When you're trying to do it, you want to ease the burdon (wallet) wherever possible.

But......its called TURBOcharging, and thats the last part that you should be skimping out on. Its probably only second to tuning, IMO.

As for that turbo, I think that anything under $500 new is probably not good quality, and I wouldn't risk the "might not fail" kinda thing. I would want it to be, "this is a bad ass durable turbo" kinda thing.
seriously!!:agreed:

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand you get what you pay for. Eventually I do want a nice name brand turbo, but to hold me over this will work. But I am saying everyone bashes something cause it is not over 500 bucks. I would be willing to send the turbo I have to anyone and let them inspect

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
Well, I don't have your turbo in my hand. I couldn't judge the craftsmanship with my eyes anyway. There is no way to tell if its made of inferior metals, or has any flaws on the shaft without disassembling it. I can't say for sure that it wouldn't work. I just wouldn't trust it.

I actually bought an E-bay "turbo kit" from Kamispeedo. I realized it was crap after recieving it, and sold it. I lost like $300 doing it, and could have bought my current turbo in BallBearing form because of my mistake. Instead I just have settled with a journal bearing design, But its still a Garrett.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have torn this turbo apart, and granted I am not a engineer, but I can't find anything wrong with it.

I am building my turbo kit, and I agree I refuse to buy one of those from ebay.

G

·
brain, i'll help you out here...my IC piping and IC is from CXRacing, they are freakin awesome!! you prolly got the 16g turbo from them! try it, I almost went that route too, but I got a great deal on mine from another company (name remains unknown lol...) but I dont think mine is the all authentic crazy Mitsu turbo either...
anyway...I have tons of friends who have turbos from ebay...NOT KITS!!! just turbochargers (from well respected companies -like cxracing- ) and they run just fine!! they dont overboost, and they tune everything right! when they wanna switch to a higher boost setup, they'll swap that turbo...

but I feel you man, half the price, beautiful looks, brand spankin new turbo...try it man, i would too...

hope a little positive attitude helped ;) good luck with it...

btw the injectors look great, I'm gonna buy a set of Precision Turbo 440cc injectors too (if they're high impedance...) just in case... and DP is beautiful, i already got the 16g o2 housing fitted onto it...

werent you gonna run a T3/T04 turbo tho?

G

·
please tell me its not off the ebay turbo kit tho! if its not, it should be okay...i woulda deff bought my 16g from the bay if i didnt get that deal that i got...
post some pics man, let us see it :)

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
a buddy of mine and i built a cheap ass rear mount turbo setup on a corsica using all ebay knock off parts and it ran great, was 2 seconds faster in the 1/4 with junkyard v8 injectors and no tune at all with 5lbs of boost non intercooled. Used it for around a year on the tired motor that was in there and upgraded to a larger motor, this time though were doing the build-up legit, o and also brain the garrett rebuild kit won't do you any good, they say garrett internals but after talking to nozzlemasters (respected turbocharger rebuilders) they said that the rebuilt kit wasn't good, we just had them replace the oil seals, everything ran great and we sold the turbo for the same price we bought it.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no, I didn't get the turbo off of ebay. I got it from CXracing. I have there IC and pipping and its extremely good quality.

I would never use a ebay turbo kit, even for a honda. this kit is being built by me.

G

·
cxracing.com seems like an authentic website...i think due to overstock of their items, they prolly put a few things on ebay too...nothing wrong with that, its easy to make money on ebay...so idk i wouldnt hesitate i'd just go for it...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts