Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

turbo ?

Tags
twin turbo
888 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  3gpunk 
#1 ·
Would it do any damage to the turbos or car if only one turbo was ball bearing and the other wasn't? I mean I know the one with the ball-bearing upgrade would spool up faster and I don't think this would be a bad thing as long as the car is well tuned, but I'm still not sure. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

#4 ·
3gpunk said:
Would it do any damage to the turbos or car if only one turbo was ball bearing and the other wasn't? I mean I know the one with the ball-bearing upgrade would spool up faster and I don't think this would be a bad thing as long as the car is well tuned, but I'm still not sure. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
you are on crack.

#6 ·
twin turbo kits should always either:

a: have a sequential turbo system that uses valves to control the direction of the exhaust and boost. example: twin turbo supras

b: have 2 of the exact same turbos

2 diferently sized or designed turbos will spool differently, if the intercooler piping system merges at any point, pressure will try to flow the wrong way in one compresser housing, causing that turbo to slow down.

and if the charge piping is a split system (2 sets of piping, 2 intercoolers, 2 throttle bodies, then one side of the engine will see more boost then the other while the "slower" turbo spools, causing a tuning nightmare

#7 ·
BOOSTED4G64 said:
twin turbo kits should always either:

a: have a sequential turbo system that uses valves to control the direction of the exhaust and boost. example: twin turbo supras

b: have 2 of the exact same turbos

2 diferently sized or designed turbos will spool differently, if the intercooler piping system merges at any point, pressure will try to flow the wrong way in one compresser housing, causing that turbo to slow down.

and if the charge piping is a split system (2 sets of piping, 2 intercoolers, 2 throttle bodies, then one side of the engine will see more boost then the other while the "slower" turbo spools, causing a tuning nightmare
That's along the lines of what I was thinking too.

Best thing to do is just don't half ass your setup and match your turbos. Pay now or pay later with rebuilding a turbo with worn bearings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.