Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My .42 Trim T3/T4 is now ruined because of massive compressor surge due to the BOV not opening, I replaced the turbo with a .57 trim/.60trim cold side and it ran great for 200 miles, now it started squealing from scraping the compressor housing, I pulled the feed line and started the car, the oil flowed great into a baggie I had, shut it off and I found ALOT of metal shavings in the oil, this is from my old .42 trim. Now I have reason to believe that the new .57 trim is ruined from the metal pieces in the oil, and my bearings are feeling it too I'm sure.

Here are my questions

1. Should I replace or Rebuild the .57 Trim
2. Can I flush the engine myself or should I have a shop do it
3. I pulled the BOV, I pushed on it and it opens fine, not hard to push at all, what could be the problem there and would replacing it fix it?

I will post pix of whatever you guys need, just ask

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the BOV is from eGay lol like I said it worked fine before when I first installed it then it stopped when the first turbo went bad, I didn't know that much about compressor surge and how it will mess up the turbo at the time, now that I know I wish i would've replaced the BOV

·
Banned
4,408 Posts
the BOV is from eGay lol like I said it worked fine before when I first installed it then it stopped when the first turbo went bad, I didn't know that much about compressor surge and how it will mess up the turbo at the time, now that I know I wish i would've replaced the BOV
it prob was not detecting and didnt open when the load was removed

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
it prob was not detecting and didnt open when the load was removed
the bov opening and closing should be mechanical. relying on vaccuum being present to open it. My roommate had an ssq off ebay that was foul and did the same thing. Theres nothing to detect, it either works or doesnt.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
My .42 Trim T3/T4 is now ruined because of massive compressor surge due to the BOV not opening, I replaced the turbo with a .57 trim/.60trim cold side and it ran great for 200 miles, now it started squealing from scraping the compressor housing, I pulled the feed line and started the car, the oil flowed great into a baggie I had, shut it off and I found ALOT of metal shavings in the oil, this is from my old .42 trim. Now I have reason to believe that the new .57 trim is ruined from the metal pieces in the oil, and my bearings are feeling it too I'm sure.

Here are my questions

1. Should I replace or Rebuild the .57 Trim
2. Can I flush the engine myself or should I have a shop do it
3. I pulled the BOV, I pushed on it and it opens fine, not hard to push at all, what could be the problem there and would replacing it fix it?

I will post pix of whatever you guys need, just ask
It seems like youre jumping to conclusions like with your rings. The .42 was bad due to the comp. surge due to a malfunctioning bov. Ir you can open and close it with your hand then shouldnt you either figure out why its not opening as it should or replace it all together before you. go through a ton of other trouble? The shavings could be bad an im not the one to speculate on what they could do i would say they need to be addressed. But the bov does also otherwise it could create the same problem with the .57 trim also.... Id still venture to say the shavings shouldnt be able to destroy the .57 after only a couple hundred miles...:ugh2:

·
SLUTTY IGUANA
2,202 Posts
you get what you pay for! Also. what boost are you ruuning? your BOV should not open "easily" if you are running a descent amount of boost (lets say 6 or more)... I guess unless you are a strong man competitor. Perhaps you did not adjust your BOV?

I would say just buy a new turbo. Flush the engine. Personally I would let a shop do (I hate dealing with oil and crap and then driving it to autozone or whatever) that is the only thing I let someone else do. Buy a GOOD BOV. the greddy Type-S is not expensive (if you can afford a turbo setup and a turbo car).

you do know you will have to adjust the BOV when you first install it right?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Or a 1G BOV for around 25 bucks!

·
turbo? unf unf!
1,972 Posts
you have an ebay turbo, thats why

·
turbo? unf unf!
1,972 Posts
and the shavings could mean you arent getting proper lubrication to the turbo

·
Lift and Separate
2,259 Posts
and the shavings could mean you arent getting proper lubrication to the turbo
:agreed:

I pulled the feed line and started the car
That was definitely not a good idea, even if the turbo was already bad. Turbo was probably spinning over 500 RPM the entire time the car was on, and it wasn't getting oil. Not to mention you were losing oil pressure inside the engine as well.

I would say, just get a new turbo, just not from eBay this time. ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
What I think you should do is total up the cost of how much your ebay kit cost, and then total up the amount of how much you had to spend to totally replace everything in your build. That would let everyone know how much money and/or headache they will save if they do it right the first time, and not get the egay kit. That would be a nice sticky.

·
Registered
73 Posts
replace everything go with a brand name BOV and try this turbo
eBay Motors: New! T3 T4 T04E Turbocharger A/R .63 Stage 3 Turbo (item 230204935746 end time Dec-25-07 12:44:19 PST) or All Model Turbos, XS Power Inc.
have had an XS Power turbo on my car for 15,000 miles I know there had been some issues with them being pieces of shit before but I tried one out and have been happy with it and it gets abused. Cant beat it for $200.

my turbo from my Tearstone kit went and thats when i replaced it with this. I changed the oil, completely cleaned the IC piping, bolted everything back on, and primed the turbo with the oil i was using and its still running (Knock on wood).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well I only ran the car for <2 Seconds, I agree that's not a good idea but that's the only way I could finkd out if the turbo was getting oil.

So is there no way I can fluch the engine myself?

·
turbo? unf unf!
1,972 Posts
guys relax, i dont think he damaged his turbo by disconnecting the oil line for a sec

oil is made to lubricate for even cold starts. at cold starts you have no oil pressure just for a second or two. this is why you prime your oil pump when starting a new engine. if he did this on a fresh turbo, then yes it would be a little worse, but even then the assembly lube would take care of it

:)

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
I think you should get a garrett/turbonetics/precision/other name brand turbo, and flush everything. Then replace the BOV with a name brand one... then you would know everything was tidy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts