Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a rather nervous step forward with my car tonight and got around to finally installing a manual boost controller for a few reasons listed below. My previous setup was just a signal line from the compressor side to the lower port on the wastegate. Now this boost controller is inline between the compressor side and the wastegate.

1. As you all know, I have been trying to find the cure for the crazy spikes that the Sporties get when shifting from gear to gear. This has consistantly happened on all Sporties without a boost controller.

2. Having the turbo kit on the car for a year and a half now I am getting a case of boost creep. Especially after receiving the turbo back from Precision starting at 4K RPMs the boost creeps to .5 bar from the .4 bar setting from the spring that is in there. Same thing is now happening to Rulez car except he is going to .45 bar and we really can't determine exactly when this started happening so I assume it's just the spring wearing out over time. Albeit this would normally be an easy fix, I'm hoping the boost controller can deliver the same results.

3. Effortlessly turn up the boost once the intercooler goes on.

I spent a little time tweaking with it tonight, I'm still not 100% satisfied with the controller settings so I'll keep you all posted on this. Also, I will keep you all posted on the reasons above to see if they all get straightened out because of this new addition to the car.

BTW, a certain SDS owner has my Injen oil cap and his stock one is leaking... sorry for the messy valve cover pics :(

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strider said:
The Injen oil cap is crap anyways (try opening it when it's hot). ;) Just get a new oil cap seal and you'll be golden. :bigthumb:
I've had good luck with my Injen oil cap, it's just that it was a lot smaller and it fit in the 'notch' of the SDS where Ryu's stock cap did not. So I let him borrow mine on the way home. I also have an AEM oil cap which leaked worse than the stock one I have now. But Ryu though that Rippmods threw in some oil cap for show so he didn't bring it when I installed his SDS.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Russ you should of told me when I was over there I could have gotten it for ya, he has the Pink one on there now!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Pink?

·
Evo IX
1,767 Posts
DavesEclipse said:
Russ you should of told me when I was over there I could have gotten it for ya, he has the Pink one on there now!
DOH i cant believe i didnt htink of givin it to dave....sorry russ ive just been so caught up with my crap i forgot to mail it ot ya...i PROMISE itll b mailed out tomorrow.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Pink?

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, my one day experience with using this boost controller I have come to a couple of conclusions thus far.

1. There is no evidence of it curing my AT boost spikes when shifting gears.

2. I'm still boosting up to .45~.50 bar when I pass through to 4500~6000 RPMs.

3. It indeed is an minor effort to turn up the boost comforatably with this.

Thus, I am still at a loss on exactly what in the world has to be done to fix the AT boost spike issue because I've had it since after the turbo was installed.

Maybe the wastegate is not big enough, I should just start from square one on this kits design and figure this thing out as to the size of the turbo vs. boost vs. wastegate size.

Also, I should have my FMIC on pretty soon, so I'll go up to .5 bar regardless when I do that and that in of itself may cure most of the problems above anyways.

·
turbo? unf unf!
1,972 Posts
i told you a mbc wouldn't solve the problem. they are shit.. and don't use them. i can't tell you what the factual reasoning is behind my allegation, but be assured i've went through 3 different kind of mbc's.. and they're ALL shit. the only way you will control your boost spikes is using an ebc and dump your wastegate to the atmo(if you aren't doing so right now). that would take care of it. the ebc's are bad ass. the turbosmart one will use fuzzylogic to control the boost spikes.. be readjusting the boost controlling solenoid.

·
turbo? unf unf!
1,972 Posts
btw, your wastegate (38mm tial) is more than enough.
www.hotrod.com --> look at either their turbo article #2 or 3, they explain how to pick a wastegate.

·
Registered
648 Posts
xull1x said:
i told you a mbc wouldn't solve the problem. they are shit.. and don't use them. i can't tell you what the factual reasoning is behind my allegation, but be assured i've went through 3 different kind of mbc's.. and they're ALL shit. the only way you will control your boost spikes is using an ebc and dump your wastegate to the atmo(if you aren't doing so right now). that would take care of it. the ebc's are bad ass. the turbosmart one will use fuzzylogic to control the boost spikes.. be readjusting the boost controlling solenoid.

Shit eh? Is that why RRE uses them all the time? Or how about Titan motor sports on 600+rwhp supras? Yours is a statement of ignorance. There are many more problems with EBC's than manual ones. I am not specifically talking about hte Turbosmart one because it is supposed to be one of the better ones on the market, but to say all MBC's are crap is just stupid. That's like all two door cars are crap. Russ, Wanna try mine and see of it makes a difference. Its supposedly doesn't produce any boost spikes at all and can mimic an EBC's overboost function. Are you only getting spikes at WOT or on all shifts? Also when you say wastegate too small do you mean the gate itself or the spring? I am pushing 12psi on the same gate with no issues venting the exhaust.

·
turbo? unf unf!
1,972 Posts
Neffarious, take off you MBC, run your car just on your wastegate spring, see if you have BOOST spikes. you probably don't. just cause you're using a MBC and you get no boost spikes -- is no reason to assume that's the reason behind it. all 3 MBCs i've tried were bleed through type MBCs. those types are known to spike. now if you have a different kind, that may be the solution! I surely didn't mean all mbc's were shit, i was just referring to the 3 i've tried.

Tearstone, your wastegate is more than big enough because.. you are NOT boost creeping, you are boost SPIKING. i don't know if you know what the difference is, but i'll type it out anyways to be of some sort of help.

boost creep is when your wastegate is set to lets say 12psi. but instead you always hit 15 psi. as you increase the spring size, so does the additional boost. this occurs cause your wastegate is too small and isn't letting enough exhaust air pass through it. you will usually have to get a larger wastegate in this case.

boost spiking, which is what you're getting is when the boost temporarily shoots up since the wastegate takes a few to get filled with compressed air to open it up.

you can have both, but from the symptoms you are describing, it only seems like you're spiking.

i'd try neffarious's boost controller first -- and then read what other people used on evolutionm.net. a lot of them suffer from this problem apparently.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
xull1x said:
We are dumping to atmosphere right now, and I am constantly hearing conflicting information on MBC vs EBC on all sorts of different platforms of cars. I figured the first step for me to take was to try it for myself.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
xull1x said:
Tearstone, your wastegate is more than big enough because.. you are NOT boost creeping, you are boost SPIKING. i don't know if you know what the difference is, but i'll type it out anyways to be of some sort of help.
Did you read my post above? I am having both problems right now. My spring is set for .4 and I creep up to .5. I spike up to .7~.9 when I shift gears at WOT.

·
Registered
648 Posts
xull1x said:
Neffarious, take off you MBC, run your car just on your wastegate spring, see if you have BOOST spikes. you probably don't. just cause you're using a MBC and you get no boost spikes -- is no reason to assume that's the reason behind it. all 3 MBCs i've tried were bleed through type MBCs. those types are known to spike. now if you have a different kind, that may be the solution! I surely didn't mean all mbc's were shit, i was just referring to the 3 i've tried.

boost creep is when your wastegate is set to lets say 12psi. but instead you always hit 15 psi. as you increase the spring size, so does the additional boost. this occurs cause your wastegate is too small and isn't letting enough exhaust air pass through it. you will usually have to get a larger wastegate in this case.

boost spiking, which is what you're getting is when the boost temporarily shoots up since the wastegate takes a few to get filled with compressed air to open it up.

you can have both, but from the symptoms you are describing, it only seems like you're spiking.

i'd try neffarious's boost controller first -- and then read what other people used on evolutionm.net. a lot of them suffer from this problem apparently.

What 3 have your tried? Second Russ, Take of theat dump pipe and get a madrel bent one. I sitll contend that crush bend is the cause of your problems. Now if you have removed it and i am uninformed of that fact then oops ;)

Xull, got try some other ebc's and you will see they spike as well. Its a quality of product issue rathat than a MBC v EBC issue.

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Neffarious said:
What 3 have your tried? Second Russ, Take of theat dump pipe and get a madrel bent one. I sitll contend that crush bend is the cause of your problems. Now if you have removed it and i am uninformed of that fact then oops ;)

Xull, got try some other ebc's and you will see they spike as well. Its a quality of product issue rathat than a MBC v EBC issue.
Yeah I put the saw to that thing a long time ago. My dump tube is a striaght pipe coming out of the wastegate pointed at the ground right now.

I want to try your MBC sometime.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts