Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving my car (2000 GT) and all of the sudden I realized that my turn signals don't work. The hazard lights don't work either. Can anyone help fix the problem?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Have you checked the fuses? That's a good place to start...and a little more info on anything you have checked, if they were working before, etc. would be helpful...

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
Since you're new, I'll start with the basics.

1. Are all 4 out? Parking lights on, or are they off as well?
2. Did you already check the fuse?
3. You may have blown a relay.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
Any chance you did something dumb like put LEDs in your turn signals? Such information would be pertinent.

Assuming it is a stock setup, it is probably dedicated fuse 14. There are a couple of other possible culprits, but there would be other things not working if it were any of them. You didn't mention the failure of any other systems.

There are no individual relays. There are components that act as such, but they are built into the ETACS-ECU (a control unit stuck to the back of the passenger compartment fuse panel).

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
There are no individual relays. There are components that act as such, but they are built into the ETACS-ECU (a control unit stuck to the back of the passenger compartment fuse panel).
Gotta love the "simplified wiring" as Mitsubishi calls it...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No LEDs for me. Stock bulbs. All 4 are out. Parking lights on - turn signals dead as well. I checked the fuses every one is ok. I replaced the ones that were suspicious with the new ones.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
If you look on page 54B-345 of the service manual, all that's in the circuit the 10A fuse (#14 as citm said), the ETACS ECU, the wiring, and the sockets/bulbs. Here's the steps to take:

Check at ETACS-ECU connector C-119 in order to check the power supply circuit to the ETACS-ECU (battery power supply).
(1) Disconnect ETACS-ECU connector C-119, and measure at the junction block side.
(2) Measure the voltage between terminal 11 and ground.
• The measured value should be approximately 12 volts (battery positive voltage).

If you have battery voltage there, it's your ETACS ECU. If you don't have voltage there, then your problem would most likely be in the wiring between the fuse and the ETACS ECU. Since both your hazards and turn signals aren't working, it's less likely that either of the switches are bad, or the wiring to and/or from the switches...it's probably part of the shared wiring...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually it works now. I've taken this thing from under the steering wheel.
Opened it. Plugged it back and it works.

Can someone identify this thing?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW Thanks you guys for the quick reply!!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Actually it works now. I've taken this thing from under the steering wheel.
Opened it. Plugged it back and it works.

Can someone identify this thing?

That would be the ETACS ECU...if you notice, it says "ETACS" at the top...I'd recommend "thumbing" through the service manual when you get a chance and get familiar with it...there's a ton of info in there that will help you through the time you have with your car...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would be the ETACS ECU...if you notice, it says "ETACS" at the top...I'd recommend "thumbing" through the service manual when you get a chance and get familiar with it...there's a ton of info in there that will help you through the time you have with your car...:bigthumb:
Thanks dude!! Do you know by any chance how much it costs to replace this thing (ETACS ECU) ?? I don't trust the one I have now.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
I think it just got disconnected. Don't replace it until you have to. They aren't cheap.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'm not sure how much they go for...you may want to check the "for sale" threads, especially for people who are parting cars out. On a side note, your ETACS ECU looks much different than mine does, so I'm not sure if they changed them after 2000 or not. Here's what mine looks like:

2GStratus > ETACS ECU exploded view

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it just got disconnected. Don't replace it until you have to. They aren't cheap.
I'm not sure how much they go for...you may want to check the "for sale" threads, especially for people who are parting cars out. On a side note, your ETACS ECU looks much different than mine does, so I'm not sure if they changed them after 2000 or not. Here's what mine looks like:

2GStratus > ETACS ECU exploded view
Thanks guys!! I think I'm good for now. But I'll be back... with more issues!!

It's Mitsubishi Eclipse after all :twothumb:

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
Thanks dude!! Do you know by any chance how much it costs to replace this thing (ETACS ECU) ?? I don't trust the one I have now.
:lol:

If you think replacing an OEM part like that is going to be reasonable to do just because you don't "trust" the one you have working, you're on another planet. I have no idea the price, but I'll take a WILD guess at around $800. Someone wanna look it up and see how close my guess is?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts