Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine that someone (or many people) have already thought of this before, but maybe not. Out of curiousity, I searched eBay for 3000GT manifolds to see what sort of aftermarket options there might be out there, and voila, results:

Click me!

I realize that's just some wonderful XS Power/SS Auto Chrome stuff, but my bigger question is this - I know the whole twin turbo engine from the 3000GT can't just be dropped in our car, and I know the stock manifolds themselves can't be used either...but what would the chances be that a setup like this would fit? Slim to none? I can't see the manifolds that well in the pics, but they look awfully similar to what the 2000 fed spec manifolds look like from a 3G. :dunno: If this did fit, hell, buy a couple 9b's or something to put on there, some universal piping for intercooler/intake piping, injectors, BOV, oil lines, and whatnot, and the amount of fabrication for a twin turbo kit could be kept to a minimum - even if you had to have a few inches cut off the downpipe or something, it'd still be worth it.

That is, of course, if it would fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
I don't think it would fit. The front maybe, because it would be similar to the 3si, but on jbasol's project the rear turbo was tricky. There wasn't room to fit the stock o2 housing, so he had to make a custom one. I don't see how that would mate up perfectly with any pre-manufactured item.

Not sure about the manifolds, but space for the rear turbo is tight. I doubt those you listed would give you enough clearance. You'd really have to measure things out to be sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chief Brody said:
I don't think it would fit. The front maybe, because it would be similar to the 3si, but on jbasol's project the rear turbo was tricky. There wasn't room to fit the stock o2 housing, so he had to make a custom one. I don't see how that would mate up perfectly with any pre-manufactured item.

Not sure about the manifolds, but space for the rear turbo is tight. I doubt those you listed would give you enough clearance. You'd really have to measure things out to be sure.
Yeah, I remember reading about the problems he ran into with the rear turbo...ended up having to redo the whole manifold once he'd welded it up the first time and all. I dunno. Trying to use something like this could be more trouble than it's worth in the end - too bad I don't have a bunch of money to just give it a shot and see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
9B are small enough but a custom manifold is definitly required on the rear bank.


im on it, if i wouldnt be of my associate (EX) who ran away with some of my money, my stock manifolds and the gigs we made, it would be definitly on sale now

just waiting to meet him on the corner of a street to TIG weld his teeth together...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Doc Nitrous said:
just waiting to meet him on the corner of a street to TIG weld his teeth together...
:lol:

So you're planning to make manifolds for twin turbo setups to actually sell, not just for your car? I knew you were working on it for your car itself but didn't know you were actually looking to sell them. What turbos are you planning on using? 9b, 13b, 16g? Hell, RPW's kit uses either GT-25s or GT-28s...I don't know enough about turbos to know which ones would be best although I have a hunch that the 16g would be too big.

And by any chance you don't need a set of stock manifolds to replace the ones he disappered with, do you? I'd imagine you probably already replaced them but if not, I've got a set of cali spec ones I'll sell to you cheap, especially since you're working on this project...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's great to hear, that you're planning more than just your own setup. I don't have money right now to buy something...my original goal was to hopefully get some kind of FI on my car around the end of next spring/beginning of next summer, but I don't know how likely that is. So I myself am waiting on funds as well.

What turbos are you planning to use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice...

I think I need to get ahold of Maximum Boost and/or maybe some other book(s) and learn more about these different turbos. From what I can find though those 14B's sound like they'd work very well - with internals you could have a killer setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
i think twinturbo (the username) did somthing similar to this he took the stock 3g manifold and the 3000gt manifold and combined them to make a custome one i belive there was a thread on this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I'll admit I never really read too much of his thread(s). If I remember right he was the one that had the crazy ass widebody kit and all...and honestly I couldn't get past the look of the exterior to pay any attention to what was under the hood :nuts:

However I've read pretty much every word that I could find about jbasol's setup. Making the manifolds out of stock 3G fed spec manifolds sounds like a decent option, with one problem - I can't weld. Everyone says "well then find a shop to do it," well I never seem to find any shops that will touch anything custom or aftermarket. In fact most of them have strict policies against doing such work :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
mozart4898 said:
Yeah I'll admit I never really read too much of his thread(s). If I remember right he was the one that had the crazy ass widebody kit and all...and honestly I couldn't get past the look of the exterior to pay any attention to what was under the hood :nuts:

However I've read pretty much every word that I could find about jbasol's setup. Making the manifolds out of stock 3G fed spec manifolds sounds like a decent option, with one problem - I can't weld. Everyone says "well then find a shop to do it," well I never seem to find any shops that will touch anything custom or aftermarket. In fact most of them have strict policies against doing such work :dunno:
theres no performance shops around your area, how far are you from chicago theres alot of places you can take to have that done. My friend couldnt find anyone to do a decent port on his turbo manifold for his evo so he had i think buschur do it. It would be nice to see another tt set up around here, but there not really reliable with stock internals. If you do it make sure you keep us posted. And the tt set up i talked about theres a really really old thread and it showed everything, like before the crazy wide body kit stuff. Try searching for it. Good luck though
 

·
Turbo Buick > you
Joined
·
1,336 Posts
Nabeel said:
theres no performance shops around your area, how far are you from chicago theres alot of places you can take to have that done. My friend couldnt find anyone to do a decent port on his turbo manifold for his evo so he had i think buschur do it. It would be nice to see another tt set up around here, but there not really reliable with stock internals. If you do it make sure you keep us posted. And the tt set up i talked about theres a really really old thread and it showed everything, like before the crazy wide body kit stuff. Try searching for it. Good luck though
dee dee dee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
callmeebryan said:
dee dee dee
:lol: Don't know exactly what that was about...but it still was funny.

Anyways (I've been gone camping for a few days and this is the first I've been back), I'm really really strongly considering the twin turbo route myself now, and I would definitely keep everyone up to date about whatever I do. Shop wise, as far as places to do some of the custom work for me, well the one shop I go to from time to time doesn't actually do anything with welding and such - about as far as they go is installing catbacks and other bolt-ons. They'd probably install a turbo if it was a full bolt on kit and nothing needed fabricated, but they wouldn't be much of a help (although I'm sure several of the guys there would be very interested in seeing my car with FI).

I'm not far from Buschur Racing myself actually, but after Kris's little mishap with them and tuning his car (i.e. they backed out of tuning it once he got his Haltech in), I'm not so sure about them and anything for the 3G. I think they're more interested in the DSM/EVO area.

One place I've thought about is Gearheadz in Toledo, I've heard some good and some bad things about them. :dunno: Honestly I haven't actually asked anywhere about having a place modify manifolds and make a custom downpipe - I'm just assuming since I got turned away by like 5 different shops for doing a brake upgrade on my wife's car (before I gave up and did it myself) that they wouldn't be too keen on welding up custom manifolds and a downpipe. As far as the rest of the installation and all goes...I'd like to think that I could get a few guys nearby to help out with that, once I'd get to that point, but we'd have to see. I really, really really don't want to just drop the car off somewhere and pay a shop to do it and not get my hands dirty one bit on it, but I know I can't install a turbo (or SDS if I still went that route) by myself.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top