Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Twin Turbo

Tags
twin turbo
5K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  eclipsegt81 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a twin turbo kit for my 2000 eclipse gt. Does anyone know where i can buy a kit or do i have to make a custom one? Has anyone made their own twin turbo kit for there eclipse and is it worth putting twin turbos on? Thanks!

#5 ·
gt_02 said:
Twin turbo? dream on...
I wouldnt say that! Anything is possiblle and it has already been done. Although I would say its probably not easy to do. Unless your willing to spend alot of money and do alot of research you would be best off just going with a single turbo setup. Even then you have to do alot of research and have lots of GREEN! Make sure you check out the forced induction section!:bigthumb:

#6 ·
It's a 6G72, the 3000GT VR4 was a 6G72, the big difference is that the VR4 was DOHC and built for boost, mostly you would just need to build up the internals, a y pipe off the tb going to 2 different side mounts(much better cooling that FMIC), then to each turbo ran off each manifold. I highly recomend just going with a small to medium turbo on each manifold, since it produces more power and is better in the long run than one running off the other turbo.

#7 · (Edited)
3g2ner said:
I'm looking for a twin turbo kit for my 2000 eclipse gt. Does anyone know where i can buy a kit or do i have to make a custom one? Has anyone made their own twin turbo kit for there eclipse and is it worth putting twin turbos on? Thanks!
Everyone always forgets about RPW as well. Check out www.rpw.com.au and find their price list (top of the page, towards the right side, click that, then scroll down a bit and click on "RPW National / International Pricing Schedule", and then once you get the .pdf file that has the price list, find the section for the SOHC 6G72 24 valve engine cars. They have 3 stages of twin turbo kit that supposedly will work on our cars. I say supposedly because no one has stepped up and bought one yet that I know of, and it was designed on the Australian version of our car. The drawback? It's expensive. Keep in mind that the prices on their site are in Australian dollars, but it would still probably cost almost $6000 to get the stage 1 kit here in the US. But definitely feasible if you've got the $$$.

But for the real story on twin turboing a 3G GT, go here. If you're serious about the idea, check out the links on that thread as well to the original thread that he started on the .org site, and read, read, and READ. This guy knows his shit and did a DAMN good job with his car. He's at somewhere around 350 whp with the stock block (I believe running 15 psi, which would be the highest of anyone on a stock 6G72 block), but he's holding back on the tune to keep the block intact. No doubt that with a fully built block and a bit of a bump in the psi, as well as a little more aggressive tune, he'd push well over 400 whp and beyond (I think his setup could push around 450 whp at about 18 psi or so if he built the block and got a little more aggressive with the tune...not sure where his turbos would top out...). I'm considering sorta copying him myself honestly. The parts list I've come up with so far would run me around $2500...but you've got to know what to buy.

Above all, whether single or twin turbo, your main issue will be tuning. If you can fit the twin turbos in the engine bay and get everything else installed right, it should be no different than tuning a single turbo setup - which with our cars can be a cast-iron bitch. Only possible issue is boost coming on at lower RPM's and possibly creating a bit more of a traction issue.

#8 · (Edited)
HolyJoe said:
It's a 6G72, the 3000GT VR4 was a 6G72, the big difference is that the VR4 was DOHC and built for boost, mostly you would just need to build up the internals, a y pipe off the tb going to 2 different side mounts(much better cooling that FMIC), then to each turbo ran off each manifold. I highly recomend just going with a small to medium turbo on each manifold, since it produces more power and is better in the long run than one running off the other turbo.
Posted while I was typing my novel :lol:

Jbasol (the guy who has the setup I linked to) used the stock turbos off of his 1995 Dodge Stealth TT, they're 9b turbos. I believe if I remember reading right he had said they will start spooling at or even slightly below 2K RPM's. Tiny little suckers. :lol:

While building internals would be a good idea, he's shown it wasn't absolutely necessary. A cautious tune and a setup pushing 8-9 psi should be reasonably safe on the stock block, and I think it would produce close to 300 whp if not a bit more, as well as a metric fuckton of low end torque. Of course, go too lean and *boom*

#9 ·
mozart4898 said:
Posted while I was typing my novel :lol:

Jbasol (the guy who has the setup I linked to) used the stock turbos off of his 1995 Dodge Stealth TT, they're 9b turbos. I believe if I remember reading right he had said they will start spooling at or even slightly below 2K RPM's. Tiny little suckers. :lol:

While building internals would be a good idea, he's shown it wasn't absolutely necessary. A cautious tune and a setup pushing 8-9 psi should be reasonably safe on the stock block, and I think it would produce close to 300 whp if not a bit more, as well as a metric fuckton of low end torque. Of course, go too lean and *boom*
With that small of turbos, no you wouldn't really need the internals, but going with a pair of 13Bs and wanting to push 15psi(talking 400-500hp), then you definately need internals, and probably should look into cryo strengthening.

I also definately recomend a manual boost controller, it's cheap, you can route it to the cabin, and better in the end than electronic(expensive) one. You also HAVE, and I mean HAVE to have a turbo timer, that will save a lot of money from blowing turbos by accidentally just pulling the key out after a medium to hard drive.

I ran two 20Gs on my GN usually around 15-20psi, I pushed 27psi a few times but I had trouble keeping traction.

#10 ·
HolyJoe said:
With that small of turbos, no you wouldn't really need the internals, but going with a pair of 13Bs and wanting to push 15psi(talking 400-500hp), then you definately need internals, and probably should look into cryo strengthening.

I also definately recomend a manual boost controller, it's cheap, you can route it to the cabin, and better in the end than electronic(expensive) one. You also HAVE, and I mean HAVE to have a turbo timer, that will save a lot of money from blowing turbos by accidentally just pulling the key out after a medium to hard drive.

I ran two 20Gs on my GN usually around 15-20psi, I pushed 27psi a few times but I had trouble keeping traction.
The engine internals have to be upgraded if your approaching 300hp, the pistons just don't hold up.

Regardless, RPW does indeed have a twin turbo kit that will fit our engines, but I'm just concerned about the routing of the intercooler piping. I will be speaking to them this evening about pricing on just the manifolds so that most of the difficult work is out of the way.

#11 ·
HolyJoe said:
a y pipe off the tb going to 2 different side mounts(much better cooling that FMIC),
Uhhh... yeah... That's why 3SI guys upgrade to FMIC's and ditch their stock SMIC's? That's why I have a nice huge FMIC to go on my VR4?

2 is not always better than 1.

G
#12 ·
PharmEcis said:
Uhhh... yeah... That's why 3SI guys upgrade to FMIC's and ditch their stock SMIC's? That's why I have a nice huge FMIC to go on my VR4?

this is true with breats and testicles but not turbo's jus get one nice sized and you shall be set

#13 ·
PharmEcis said:

Just because people do it does not always mean that it's the right thing to do. Having the two side mounts I would imagine is more efficient than a big front mount, of course that's pending on horsepower requirements.

#14 ·
Going to a FMIC actually can simplify the piping as instead of needing 2 distinct pipes running to the throttlebody you only need dual piping to the FMIC and then a single larger pipe running to the TB.

#15 ·
Tearstone said:
I will be speaking to them this evening about pricing on just the manifolds so that most of the difficult work is out of the way.
That would be the shit if they would sell just the manifolds...although from a cost standpoint it might still be cheaper to modify stock manifolds. I dunno.

Pretty much what it boils down to is that if you want to, twin turbo is definitely possible, but it's either a) going to cost a pretty penny (RPW kit), or b) be a custom kit. But it can work, and work well.

#16 ·
PharmEcis said:
Going to a FMIC actually can simplify the piping as instead of needing 2 distinct pipes running to the throttlebody you only need dual piping to the FMIC and then a single larger pipe running to the TB.
That might be true, but like I said before running two side mounts could very well be a much more efficient setup, and efficiency is good.

#17 ·
Experience tells me if it was more efficient the high hp 3si guys would be running twin smic's... They run FMIC's... Logic tells me then that a FMIC is more efficient.

Not trying to bust your balls Russ, and I agree that whatever is more efficient is better... But the 3si guys have been there done that and they run FMIC's when they want more power.

I guess if you were shooting for 320hp like a stock 3si... Well then twin intercoolers might be just fine. :p

#18 ·
PharmEcis said:
Experience tells me if it was more efficient the high hp 3si guys would be running twin smic's... They run FMIC's... Logic tells me then that a FMIC is more efficient.

Not trying to bust your balls Russ, and I agree that whatever is more efficient is better... But the 3si guys have been there done that and they run FMIC's when they want higher efficiencies.
Higher efficiencies when they go up in boost you mean like when the turbos they upgrade to require more intercooling, then yes. Do you have any dyno comparisions with stock turbos to see which is best, side mounts or one front mount?

An outsider could go around and say "Those guys over at Club3G are all running superchargers, that must be the best way to go from my experience"

#19 ·
Tearstone said:
An outsider could go around and say "Those guys over at Club3G are all running superchargers, that must be the best way to go from my experience"
:lol:

Point taken.

#22 ·
Tearstone said:
I've had a few people request quotes for RPW piping for twin turbo kits. I have just confirmed with them this evening (their next day) that they have no interest in selling twin turbo kits unless they are full kits.

My apologies for those that were intersted in just the core piping of the kit.
I wouldn't blame them, after all, if the piping would be available by itself, one of the hardest parts of fabricating the kit is already done. Finding a couple cheap turbos on eBay or in a junkyard wouldn't be hard, and then the whole affair would be pretty much just a bolt on.

Now does the same go for the manifolds? I'm assuming so. :dunno:

#23 ·
mozart4898 said:
I wouldn't blame them, after all, if the piping would be available by itself, one of the hardest parts of fabricating the kit is already done. Finding a couple cheap turbos on eBay or in a junkyard wouldn't be hard, and then the whole affair would be pretty much just a bolt on.

Now does the same go for the manifolds? I'm assuming so. :dunno:
yessir :(

#24 ·
That's ok, after all, they've stepped up and created something that no one else has with their twin turbo kit. I understand why they don't want to sell parts of it. Hell if I had the money, I'll bet their kit would find a great home on my car and honestly, considering the amount of R&D it seems they put into their stuff, I'll bet it'd almost be worth what it would cost.

But alas, I'm at the stage of SDS vs. custom turbo kit again...or even just dropping FI plans completely again and thinking the NA route again...and risking N/A results for FI amounts of $$$.

edit: I just realized how many times I said "again" in that last sentence. :lol:

#25 · (Edited)
Tearstone said:
That might be true, but like I said before running two side mounts could very well be a much more efficient setup, and efficiency is good.
...and also related to the rest of the SMIC's vs. FMIC discussion...

Always a third option as well (the one that John went with) - a single SMIC. Personally I look at the space on the driver's side of the engine bay, especially if you relocated the battery to the trunk, and think that it'd be so perfect to slip a SMIC down in there, in the area where the CAI's generally go, and remove the fake vents and replace them with Grillcraft. Plenty of air would get through there. Now, as for how efficient it would be...I dunno. Efficiency vs. piping like an all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner?

Never actually had my hands on a DSM SMIC - could you even somehow fit two of them down in that general area? Or would they have to be placed in separate areas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.