Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
54,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487092
vs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487241

Other than one is a KR and the other is a RX? They both list the identical specs.

Size isn't a big issue, it's going in this case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119286
Noise is more of a concern, so if one of those cards can turn off the fans when temps drop below a certain threshold or is substantially quieter under load, that would be the one I pick.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I quick check shows that one of them is refurbished, which adds a bit to risk. By the same token, it means you don't get the free game with it. You can always return a card though if it doesn't work, and since you're building a new system you can usually find that out pretty quickly. I've had fairly good luck with refurbished things that don't have too many moving parts. But I've had some things that weren't so good, like a Mobo, LOL. Oh well.

Edit: ooh saw the price on the regular one in my cart -- you might as well get that one at the same price I think. Unless I missed something they are pretty identical cards but one is new? If so get the new one.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My source:

DS, FPB, AR vs. KR What do these mean? - EVGA Forums

where the information below came of :

EVGA - Support - Product Warranty

AR & KR are warranty types:
Limited Lifetime: -A1, -A2, -A3, -A4, -AR, -AX, -CR, -CX, -DX, -FR, -FX, -SG, -SX
Limited 5 Year: -GR
Limited 3 Year: -K1, -K2, -KB, -KR (Before 1/1/11)
Limited 2 Year: -LA, -LE, -LR, -LX, -T1, -T2, -TR, -TX
Limited 1 Year: -B1, -BR, -BX, -DR
Limited 90 Day: -RX (Recertified parts)

·
54,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At the ~$170 price point are there any better Nvidia cards to consider? I assume it would just be another flavor of GTX 960, which is fine.

No AMD/ATI! I've always had shit shit shit luck with their drivers under Linux and Windows too. Nvidia only!

·
54,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hardware acceleration of video post processing for MPHC with madVR at 1080P and probably downscaling some 2/4K content to 1080P as well. The madVR lets me do some nice stuff like scale the video up and then shrink it back down to make compression artifacts seemingly vanish, smooth jittery motion, etc but takes a good chunk of processing power. With settings turned up high and a high bitrate 1080P file it'll start start dropping frames hard and I'm seeing some CPU and full GPU useage with the i3 and GTX650 I have now. A 960 should be enough hardware to do what I want without being ran at 100%, madVR supports CUVID so it can all run through the GPU.
madVR

Also some gaming but nothing strenuous, mostly older games that the 650 runs at medium/high settings already, primarily a HTPC of sorts.

·
6,548 Posts
I'm not too familiar with that use, but 960 probably is your best bet. Some other cards I would say to consider (but may be underpowered) would be the 750ti or 760 if you could find one... But what I would really suggest is going with the 4gb vram (advertised) 960. Just looking at the same cooler as you linked, you could get a 14% higher clock speed, double the vram, and a back plate for $200 after a MIR. EVGA GeForce GTX 960 04G-P4-3969-KR 4GB FTW GAMING w/ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling w/ Free Installed Backplate Graphics Card - Newegg.com

For 15% higher cost, I'd say it's worthwhile.

·
54,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think so too! Bench marks though show the 960 lacks the bandwidth to really take advantage of the extra RAM but it can't hurt to have more anyway. Stepping up to a 970 really nearly doubles the price which sucks even though it's WAY more card. Le sigh. The 750 is just a die shrink of the 650, the Ti isn't really worth it for the price anymore.

·
6,548 Posts
Yeah, 970 is probably overkill for you... I'm using one but that's because I want to run AAA titles at high settings or better with 50+fps. I went with 970 because of how SLI scaled against a 980 and I didn't want to drop 980 cost at the time. The only other consideration is an older SLI setup but for the power consumption and heat output that also just isn't worth it. I'm glad you aren't considering the 950 :lol:

P.S. My main screen is a 34" 21:9 1440p monitor, so the 970 is well suited for that.

·
54,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bought the one you linked, thank you! It'll be a nice addition to the HTPC in a CM130 case. Cooler Master Elite 130 - Mini-ITX Computer Case with Mesh Front Panel and Water Cooling Support - Newegg.com

I'm not even sure if I'll ever get around to switching up to a i5 from the i3 540 or 550 I have in it, I can't remember exactly which processor it was. It seems adequate for my uses so far so I'll probably just leave it, by the time I need 4 cores the i5's will likely be cheap enough that it won't sting so much.

·
54,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HAHAHAHA I went with the free shipping and FedEx says it'll be here tomorrow, coming from Indy. WIN!

:lol:Shit, I can't remember what size PSU I have in this thing. I think 500W, if not I think I have a 600W I can swap from something else or I'll just drop coin on a nicer quieter one in the 550-750W range.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts