Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about 2-3 weeks ago I put a can of refrigerant into the system in my car (2000 eclipse gt, 120k) and the AC had been working fine since then. I knew that I had a leak so I also put a dose of UV dye and bought a nice UV lamp specifically for that purpose.

At this time, although the green light comes on and the AC compressor is working the AC is no longer blowing the cold air. So I put my new UV lamp to use, go under the car, inspect it thoroughly and find no traces of the UV dye. The only traces of it can be found under the low and high pressure valve's caps.

Any ideas what to do next? How to go about locating that leak?

·
Boobs!? WHERE!?!
1,030 Posts
You could be losing it at your evaporator... the mini radiator stuck in the big box next to your heater core. It's behind your dash.

·
t3h Raven
1,704 Posts
Or

The A/C condenser. Its like the radiator but smaller, it sits between your radiator and your front bumper. You can try to peek through your bumper where the fog lights are.

My a/c was working perfect until one day it just stop, replaced and now is working fine. I suggest you take it to a mechanic so they can identify where the leak is before you try and do any repairs.

·
Crazy?
713 Posts
uv dye doesn't always find small leaks. A good sniffer like service center uses works very well.

·
CreepnIn The Shadows
4,426 Posts
wear yellow glasses to while your using the light. It makes finding the die easier.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you shouldn't have dye at the high pressure cap unless you were using that port.
Well, I charged the system via the low pressure side, so the dye in the high pressure fitting is kind of mystery to me. However, about 1 year ago I had the "full ac service + dye" done by so called professional. He had a charge station which he used to charge my system - I'm not sure which side he used to charge it, he might have used the high pressure side (possible?). Even if he used the high pressure side, I'm little hesitant to believe that the 1 year old dye could still be detected(possible?), well idk.

Bitter, how would I go about replacing the low and high pressure service fittings? Is it possible to replace just their insides? Or am I looking at buying a new set of aluminum hoses with fittings?

Thanks guys, I'll check for the leaks around the evaporator and condenser.

·
CreepnIn The Shadows
4,426 Posts
I haven't checked on the eclipse but I know on some other cars the schrader valve's can be changed if they are leaking.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seems that the schrader valve (on the low side service port) is slowly leaking and that seems to be the cause of AC problems in my car...

Can anyone point me to a place where I could buy a good replacement cap, with an o-ring possibly? Need to stop that small leak somehow. Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
some smart guy on another forum said:

Actually, the cap is supposed to finally hold the charge, not the Schrader valve. I’ve seen a ton of cars where someone either didn’t replace the caps or lost the o-ring inside the cap and couldn’t figure out why they had to top off their A/C every few months. Because cars hit bumps, vibrate and are subject to extreme underhood temperature changes, the Schrader valves can’t be expected to hold the charge. They don’t just put caps on A/C systems to make them look pretty! They are there to hold the charge from leaking out through the Schrader valve if it fails……..

If the Schrader valve is the source of a major leak, it needs to be replaced but if it’s a small leak, a good cap (with the o-ring in place) and then use Nylog on the threads work fine.
Might be useful info for 3g folks.

·
54,348 Posts
LAWLS. Because that plastic cap will hold in 300PSI on the high side? No, he's wrong. Schrader valve holds the charge, cap is there to keep shit/salt/water/dirt out of the valve so when you charge/discharge the system you don't suck shit into the machine or push it into the system, prevent the inside of the valve from corroding, etc. It's EXACTLY like the cap on your tire stem, but larger.

Will the cap help seal a weak schrader, sure, is it designed to? No.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LAWLS. Because that plastic cap will hold in 300PSI on the high side? No, he's wrong. Schrader valve holds the charge, cap is there to keep shit/salt/water/dirt out of the valve so when you charge/discharge the system you don't suck shit into the machine or push it into the system, prevent the inside of the valve from corroding, etc. It's EXACTLY like the cap on your tire stem, but larger.

Will the cap help seal a weak schrader, sure, is it designed to? No.
Well then I'll trust you Bitter. Anyway do you happen to know of any good quality caps with seal of some sort? Perhaps maybe even non-plastic type of cap if it exists? I'd appreciate if you had and shared any info on such thing.

·
54,348 Posts
Not off the top of my head, no. they're all the same since they're not made for that. Some lines have replaceable shraders, some do not. depends what's wrong inside, the seal on the valve or the seat the valve seals against.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts