Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my heater doesnt work very well and its warmish if i have it on 2 but if i put it on 4 it gets luke warm on the passenger side. So i decided i would try to flush the heater core and i searched and searched on this site and i found out i had to use a garden hose. so do I need to buy an adapter or can I just shove on the hose n it'll put water through?also since its not distilled water wouldnt it corrode it after a while since the water is going to be in it after i try to unclog it?also i read it could be my water pump which one would it be?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Have you tried bleeding the air out of the system first? That's the usual culprit to low heat conditions...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did that already it helped a lil but when its like 0 or lower it has basically no heat at all and when im stopped at a stoplight i get no heat compared to a lil heat driving. i got 70k miles on it and the guy i bought it from only drove it in the summer so im thinking the heater was barely used so it has a bunch of junk in it.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
did that already it helped a lil but when its like 0 or lower it has basically no heat at all and when im stopped at a stoplight i get no heat compared to a lil heat driving. i got 70k miles on it and the guy i bought it from only drove it in the summer so im thinking the heater was barely used so it has a bunch of junk in it.
It shouldn't have "a bunch of gunk in it"...have you checked/replaced your radiator cap or thermostat? If those are good and you're sure you got all the air out (sometimes it takes a few times to bleed it), then the next usual problem for what you're describing is to replace the water pump.

As for your original question about flushing the fluid though, you can't just put a hose in the radiator and call it good. I think Prestone makes a kit you can install in one of your heater hoses so you can actually flush the system, but the problem you're going to run in to is dumping of coolant all over the ground which is an environmental concern (and usually illegal). Chances are, you don't have the ability to properly flush the system...you'd have to take it to a shop and have them draw the sytem down and then replenish it...but not all shops have the right equipment for that either...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i replaced the thermostat and radiator cap. im going to replace the water pump when i get the timing belt done and if that doesnt change anything im going to need a new heater core im guessing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts