Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
*insert funny title*
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ripped apart the center console to figure out how to make a manual shift knob work with the sporty. Allow me to explain. With the autos/sporties, you have that damn button to worry about. Well, after playing with the new knob for a bit, I broke off the white part that gets pushed in to activate the brake-shift interlock. Oops. I will take pics during the week, but I figured out a way to use any shift knob you want.

**** WARNING ****

You will break stuff that cannot be replaced easily. It will cost you alot of money to make it work like stock again. It will also be dangerous if you are stupid and try to put the car in reverse while travelling at 80mph.

Basically, I permanently have the button engaged, and the ignition key interlock disconnected. So, if anyone actually wants to do this, you could theoretically remove your keys and put the vehicle in park while cruising down the highway. The tow truck driver, the trans shop guy, and even the honduh guys will laugh at you while you pick up the remaining pieces of your transmission from a half mile back down the road. Ok, you are hereby sufficiently warned. On to the good stuff.

GET YOUR SUPPLIES BEFORE:

3/8" inch long metal dowel, about 3mm in diameter.
Electrical tape, or any kind of strong tape.. even duct tape will work.
1 roofing nail. Anything with a flat top really.
1 1/8 wide zip tie.
Philips head screwdriver. (You really didn't think you could work on an eclipse without a philips head screwdriver, did you??)

1) Remove the factory shift knob by unscrewing the 2 screws (one in front, one in back) and pulling up hard. You will see a 2-3 inch piece of white plastic sticking up out of a black rod. Are you sure you want to do this??? OK, then, snip the white plastic piece even with the top of the black plastic rod. Congrats, you can no longer have a factory shifter on your car without spending stupid money.

2) Remove the center console. I believe there is already a how-to on this. If not, remove the cupholder by pulling up the front and under the armrest at the same time. It will give. There are four screws holding it down and 2 clips in the front. You also need to disconnect the cigarette lighter and the power mirror control. Move that to the back seat for now.

3) Remove the 4 screws holding down the shift plate. This allows easier access to the ignition lock interface. When looking at it from the driver side, you will see a 3inch diameter white piece of plastic with a cable attached to it using a plastic button. If you have any doubt which one it is, just put your car in gear and you will see a cable being pulled as you move from park to drive. Remove that cable eyelet from the plastic button. That cable controls whether or not you can remove your key. You normally wouldn't be able to if the car is in any gear except park. We just changed that... We had to do that because if the brake shift interlock is engaged, it will not let you remove the key because of that cable.

4) Take your zip tie and loop it through the top left hole where the shift plate gets screwed down. Now put it through the eyelet of the cable. Pull tight. Make sure the eyelet is tight against the piece that accepts the screw for the shift plate. The tighter the better. There is no spring to keep the cable from being pulled out more. If that happens, the ignition interface thinks you have the car in gear.

5) Take that roofing nail and push down the white piece of plastic (the one you snipped off) while your foot is on the brake. Slide the metal dowel into the screw hole where the factory shift knob gets screwed in. Slide it all the way in, and out the other side while sliding the nail upwards. The goal here is to permamently depress the brake shift interlock down using the dowel.

6) Wrap some tape around the black metal rod to keep the dowel from slipping out.

7) Put everything back together in reverse order. Now would also be a good time to install a shift boot if you happen to have bought one.

All done! You can now use any shift knob you want with the sporty or auto transmission.

AGAIN, this is a VERY dangerous modification as you will be able to shift into any gear without your foot on the brake and at any speeds. You can also remove your key from the ignition whenever you want to. I do not recommend doing this if you have small children that can possibly shift the gears when you don't want to. Especially if you are just running into the store. They may accidently follow you in using your car. :p

Does anyone want me to rip everything back apart and take some pics? Or does everyone think this is too much work just for a show item??

·
Registered
142 Posts
I like it, but dont like the idea of no brake to shift into reverse or any gear for that matter since im always shifting into neutral at stop lights because of stupid broken motor mounts

·
www.brunotalledo.com
421 Posts
that sounds cool.....but kinda scary...
i've accidentally shifted into neutral so many times...
thinking i was still in sporty mode and downshifting.....
but i was actually just on D and shifted to neutral
lol

·
*insert funny title*
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's why I gave the warning like I did. I am still trying to figure out a different way to at least insure the brake interface, but the mechanics of the mitsu system make it damn near impossible. They use 2 separate cables, one goes to the brake pedal, and one to the ignition. So far, I haven't been able to override the brake interlock and still be able to remove the key with it engaged.

Like I said, this mod isn't for the faint of heart. But it will allow you to use any shifter you want...

·
*insert funny title*
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
someone asked about doing this, so I thought I would update you on the worries some people had.

I haven't had one single time when it became dangerous yet. Not even a close call. That is all.

·
*insert funny title*
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
verytalonted said:
Pics?????
nope, don't have any pics. But once you get in there, it will be blatantly obvious what needs to be done just from my description.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts